B-23 Dragon Nose Art

River Patrol

River Patrol

So, I have tons of odd snippets, photographs and such all around my desk of things that I have to remember to research. Usually, more often than not, I forget to do anything with them. Here's one of them:

I know the scans of the pictures are bad but I only had the photograph in my hands for less than 1 hour. It is a picture of the nose of a B-23 with a skeleton in a cape, top hat, and cane (waaayyyyy koooool in my book!). She was called "The Uninvited". Stencilled on the nose is also: Pilot Dick Willey; Engineer MSGT. Joe Dasher; Bombadeer LT. George Bruns; C.C. MSGT. M.F. Meyer; and one other I can't make out, possibly for Co-pilot. Next there is a small white cloud at the front of the nose and it has stencilled on it: "The Last B-23 to Bomb the Japanese Empire".........So, this is the mystery to me...all the information I have on the B-23s states that they were NEVER used in combat.....only 38 were built and assigned either to the 89th Recon Squadron or McChord's 17th Bombardment Group...neither of which left the states (as I understand).....so how can this nose art be correct?

B23_b.jpg

River Patrol

For some reason, I can not add the picture with the nose art. I'll try again later tonight.