CATERPILLAR CLUB , GOLDFISH CLUB , SEA SQUATTERS CLUB

Tim,

Sorry I did not see your post earlier. The bullion caterpillar patch I have is part of a grouping I bought from the veteran. He was in the 8th Air Force serving as a radio operator on a B-17. His fort was hit by flak and went down on Christmas eve, 1944. Since he was stationed in England I think it's a safe bet to say it's British made. Another interesting thing to note is I have his service coat (also with British made 8th Air Force patch & bullion air crew wings) but he chose not to sew on his caterpillar patch.

Rob

donation2009.gifdonation2012.gif

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought this patch on eBay in the late 90's, not too long after it opened. A firm in the Chicago area put estate items up for sale and this was one of them.

It compares favorably to the image in Warren Carroll's book Eagles Recalled, p.166, and measures about 1 3/8" x 2".

I haven't seen one like this before and would like your opinions.

Thanks,

Adam

post-2607-1260842162.jpg

Adam, despite what others on the 'other' forum are saying, I believe this is a correct WWII piece. I have an almost identical example that I got with a USMC F4U pilot's grouping. He was shot down over the Palau's and ditched his Corsair. I'm almost positive that he got it when he returned home in early '45. I will shoot a photo of mine here and post it. Thanks for showing this variation, Mark

"The Dude Abides"

donation2007.gif

Adam, here you go. Like I said, it's from a USMC Corsair pilot who ditched his bird off Babelthaup. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think all goldfish are the same, i.e. English-made. Just as there are many variations of the Caterpillar insignia, I think there are varieties of the goldfish as well. I like them both. Enjoy, Markpost-527-1261952049.jpgpost-527-1261952056.jpg

"The Dude Abides"

donation2007.gif

• 1 month later...

I've seen these small screwback Caterpillar Club pins around, but I can't find anything that dates these. Does anyone know who made them, and when they first appeared? I believe the card it's screwed on is how it originally came.

post-3715-1265220572.jpg

Here are a couple of examples of the "order of the winged boot" patch, both from escape & evader groupings. One gentleman flew with the 91st BG, the other with the 94th BG.

post-3715-1265327836.jpg

• 5 months later...
This is the last item I have. It is very unusual and I do not know its background, however I have seen a few more of these.

It is an aluminum plaque with a parachute D-ring named to a 15th AAF crewman who had to bail out and was a POW. Notice the time and place are noted on the tag.

I have seen tags like the one attached this item on WWII equipment and on the inside of WWII submarines , so it may be from the 40's or 50's .

post-105-1178855183.jpg

If you have any items in your collections.. please post em here!!!!!!!!

Hi All: I was searching the web to get a little info on the Goldfish badge and ran across this outstanding site. This particular plaque drew my interest. Back in the 1950's and 1960's when I was active in skydiving I made many plaques similar to this for fellow jumpers.Back in my days parachutes were totally different from today so some of the parts may not be familiar. I used a nice walnut plaque and included the ripcord, three cones and grommets, a capewell, a photo, if available or a skydiver patch, and an engraved brass plaque. The D-ring ripcord had pins that went into the cones to keep the container closed. The capewell was part of the harness and was a quick-release for the canopy, if needed.

Most of the ones I created were for jumpers who had major malfunctions, but I also did them for various "landmarks" - the 100th jump, first baton pass, first dead center, etc. In the 20 years I jumped I would guess I made around 100 of these. The only catapillar ones I made were for 5 jumpers who were returning to Houston from a parachute meet at the Thunderbird in Las Vegas. The Cessana they were returning in blew a jug and in order for the plane to stay in the air the pilot, Dr. Ed Fitch, had them suit up and jump west of Lubbock, Texas. They had to hitch hike back to Houston and found out that Ed landed safely in Lubbock, left the Cessna there for an overhaul, rented a car and drove back to Houston. They applied with several manufacturers for membership to the Catapillar Club, but all were turned down. They ended up having me make "catapillar" plaques for them and from some other source they had their own special "catapillar" patches made.

Cy Stapleton

Lufkin, Texas

Cy Stapleton

info@cytreasures.com

www.hotlinecy.com

http://us.ebid.net/items/lufkincy1

• 3 weeks later...

These are a few insignias from a small group I just aquired that once belonged to George I. Tripp. He was a P-38 pilot with the 485th fighter squadron 9th AAF and shot down over/near Normandy. He was taken care of by a French family and evaded capture for two months.

post-2609-1282137903.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This little screwback bird (a ?seagull, unmarked on the reverse) came with a small lot of aircraft engineer items (Pratt & Whitney, Wright Engines, etc). It looks similar to (but not the same as) the Sea Squatters pin design I've read about. Could it be related? Can anybody ID this little badge for me please?

Regards

Mike

post-11042-1282899255.jpg

This little screwback bird (a ?seagull, unmarked on the reverse) came with a small lot of aircraft engineer items (Pratt & Whitney, Wright Engines, etc). It looks similar to (but not the same as) the Sea Squatters pin design I've read about. Could it be related? Can anybody ID this little badge for me please?

Regards

Mike

This is called a "Sea Squaters" pin. They are unbelieveably rare. Also, they are so heavily faked that I don't think I would ever be able to determine whether one was original or not.

Perhaps when Kurt Stauffer gets a look at it, he might be able to verify originality.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the reply.

Some additional microscope pics showing the shear lines (indicating it's genuinely die struck - the question would be when I suppose!) and some close-up of the details. Fyi, the eye is actually recessed and painted/partially filled black.

Regards

Mike

post-11042-1282917689.jpg

post-11042-1282917700.jpg

• 6 months later...

Sea Squater pin, front

I finally got the little ducky pin. Woo Hoo! :w00t: I also got the accompanying 1946 mailer with the generic congratulation letter and listing of all the members up to that point.

The micro function on my camera has crapped out on me so I had to scan it instead. :( I can’t get a good scan of the back but it is marked by A.E. Co. of Attleboro, like other military insignia. Unfortunately there is no name with it just the generic congratulations. According to the booklet in January of 1946 there were over 1200 members of this club so far.

Anyone ever see a photo of this pin being worn or a presentation certificate of any kind?

:nerv0003:

post-15093-1299286164.jpg

WANT TO BUY:

Titled case set "U.S. Typhus Commission";

Titled case "Medal for Merit";

ASMIC: 1677

OMSA: 6045

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Sea Squater pin, front

I finally got the little ducky pin. Woo Hoo! :w00t: I also got the accompanying 1946 mailer with the generic congratulation letter and listing of all the members up to that point.

The micro function on my camera has crapped out on me so I had to scan it instead. :( I can’t get a good scan of the back but it is marked by A.E. Co. of Attleboro, like other military insignia. Unfortunately there is no name with it just the generic congratulations. According to the booklet in January of 1946 there were over 1200 members of this club so far.

Anyone ever see a photo of this pin being worn or a presentation certificate of any kind?

:nerv0003:

Should have been looking at this when I was typing. It is not marked Attleboro its marked Utica and also Sterling.

WANT TO BUY:

Titled case set "U.S. Typhus Commission";

Titled case "Medal for Merit";

ASMIC: 1677

OMSA: 6045

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

• 2 months later...

I finally have been able to buy a nice example of an English made gold Caterpillar Club pin named to the vet!

This pin was issued to a Navigator who served with the 44th Bomb Group , 8th Air Force . His bomber was hit over the target on March 18, 1944 and they made it to Switzerland, bailing out just as the plane exploded. The entire crew became Internees in Switzerland.

MVC_004L.JPG

MVC_006L.JPG

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Attached is a quick photo of my dad's certificate with the actual rip cord he used to bail out of his A-20. He kept this rip cord with him for 9 days while evading capture and making it back to US lines.

I have all of the Caterpillar newsletters published by the Switlick company and one day hope to write an article on these rare pins.

Gary B

post-6817-1319739992.jpg

ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Here is the back of his A-2 jacket which he wore for almost all of his missions, to include the mission he was shot down on. The 5 large bombs are numbered 10 for each 10 missions he flew (total of 50) and a small bomb with 1/2 on it to represent his "one way" mission.

Gary B

post-6817-1319740225.jpg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

The survivors of the shoot down (L to R: my father, LT Dowdell - the bombardier, and newly promoted SSG Schultz). All made it back to US lines. Schultz was promoted from CPL to SSG on his return to US lines. Squadron policy was airman shot down were automatically promoted to SSG since they were required to do less work in a POW camp (they would be supervisors). Upon his return to his squadron CPL Schultz requested, and was granted his promotion to SSG, IAW unit policy.

Gry B

post-6817-1319740317.jpg

The escape map signed by all members of the crew and some additional people who my father's crew linked up with on their way back to US lines. All of these individuals, along with a few German defectors, were taken back to US lines by a large group of Italian partisans.

Gary B

post-6817-1319740743.jpg

Western Union telegram notifying my grandmother that her son was no longer MIA. The initial telegram about him being MIA never made it to the house.

post-6817-1319740925.jpg