CATERPILLAR CLUB , GOLDFISH CLUB , SEA SQUATTERS CLUB

KASTAUFFER

• 1 month later...

I've been wanting one of these Sea Squatter pins for a LONG time. Finally got one as part of a group on Ebay. I will post more pics once I have it. They are very tough to find, much harder to find than a Caterpillar Club pin.

He was the bombardier on a B-18 Bolo that crashed in the Atlantic off of Panama in 1942.

pipek.JPG

pipek2.JPG

I've been wanting one of these Sea Squatter pins for a LONG time. Finally got one as part of a group on Ebay. I will post more pics once I have it. They are very tough to find, much harder to find than a Caterpillar Club pin.

He was the bombardier on a B-18 Bolo that crashed in the Atlantic off of Panama in 1942.

Congrats Kurt, I think the card is even more rare! I added my Sea Squatter pin to my Rickenbacker display as he was one of the five founding members.

The card is tough too! I had a card to a Naval Aviator, but a pin kept eluding me until now ,

Kurt

Here are better shots of the pin. We didn't have any good close up shots showing the markings so I am adding it here.

As you can see it is screwback not clutchback and is hallmarked by American Emblems.

MVC-115L.JPG

MVC-116L.JPG

MVC-117L.JPG

MVC-118L.JPG

MVC-119L.JPG

• 1 month later...

I just realized I never added Harry Korger's pins to this thread. He was a POW in WWII and survived a B-52 crash in 1956. He was a 2 time member of the club!

This is a thread about him:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/93319-wwii-ploesti-veteran-and-pow-harry-korger/

post-105-1290561906.jpg

post-105-1290561917.jpg

post-105-1290561929.jpg

post-105-1290562043.jpg

post-105-1290562068.jpg

post-105-1290562156.jpg

• 1 year later...

Here is my most recent pin. It is also the very first engraved " Irving" pin I have seen. This is the US made pin that is gilded sterling, The solid gold IRVIN pins from England are almost always named and dated. I see WAY more of these IRVING pins to US POWs than any other pin including SWITLIK pins.

This member was a pilot from the 376th BG captured 12/18/44 . He was held in Stalag Luft 1,

cat.JPG

cat1.JPG

cat3.JPG

cat4.JPG

• 1 month later...

Kastauffer asked me to add this to the thread.I picked this up yesterday in a trade out of Ohio.The pin and card are IDed to Harold G. Russell shot down 6-22-43 during the Attack on the synthetic rubber factory at Huls Germany.He bailed out and was taken prisoner and spent the rest of the war as a guest of the Germans.After the Men and Women of the Forum helped with his unit which was the 337th bomb squadron 96th bomb group, the attack and becoming a POW I found out he is from Wisconsin my home state.If you Goggle search the net there is a ton of info on Mr. Russell, the attack, and the crews capture.

img504.jpg

img503.jpg

img581.jpg

card.JPG

Thanks for posting Scotty. It's a great example. The mark on the back of the card is the German censor mark from Stalag Luft 3. That means his card was mailed to him while he was still in the camp.

Kurt

• 5 months later...
KASTAUFFER

Here is a card I picked up recently to a 379th BG Navigator captured 3/26/44

image.jpg

• 5 months later...

Found this newspaper article while working on my Airmail Flyers Medal of Honor Wikipedia stuff and new I had to post it.

Airmail Pilots Paul J Kanuit, S. J. Samson both on 22 March 1929.

And Lt John H Tilton of the Army Air Corps Reserve.

P.S. Happy New Year everyone!

post-15093-0-47820800-1483196231_thumb.jpg

Another newspaper article. (Pittsburgh Post Gazette, 23 May 1930)

Notable data:

* Now 225 members with 236 jumps. (Can't make sense of this with the number of multi jump names listed.)

* Col. Charles Lindbergh with 4 jumps.

* Rutledge, Barksdale, Hutchinson, Hunter, Miller, Messrs, Wilson, Stevers, Dryer with two jumps each.

* Six candidates initiation simultaneously making the jump from a crippled Army Transport.

* Woman Mildred Kaufman while trying to set a new record for consecutive loops.

Mark

post-15093-0-02342300-1483379912_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Found another article. This one is for Caterpillar #1. I wonder where this plaque is today?

Aviation Week magazine.

November 1943

page 261

Col. Harold R Harris (At time plaque was given)

Jumped 22 Oct 1922

Dayton, Ohio

post-15093-0-92961500-1488120695.jpg

post-15093-0-69714700-1488120857.jpg

• 1 month later...

My most recent Caterpillar Club item. It is difficult to find the envelope.

This certificate is different than most of the others since it does not reference Switlik anywhere on it.

The story behind the jump can be found here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/287662-unusual-wwii-8th-aaf-pow-story-when-a-man-loves-a-woman/

post-105-0-51851200-1491178439.jpg

post-105-0-21106900-1491178417.jpg

• 2 months later...

Found this photo in a 379th BG vet's photos and thought it might interest some. The T/Sgt. vet is wearing a caterpillar pin and winged boot on his uniform-no collar brass (the black dot is on the negative) on what I think is an aviation cadet tunic, wish I had a name to go with the photo. Enjoy,

Mark

post-527-0-56962400-1498856105_thumb.jpg

Found this photo in a 379th BG vet's photos and thought it might interest some. The T/Sgt. vet is wearing a caterpillar pin and winged boot on his uniform-no collar brass (the black dot is on the negative) on what I think is an aviation cadet tunic, wish I had a name to go with the photo. Enjoy,

Mark

attachicon.gifresized_Caterpillar.jpg

I'll second Kurt, "Great Pic"!

Can't imagine a Cadet would have a "Walking out Boot' though.

It almost looks like an 8th AAF patch on his shoulder!

And is that a "Soldiers Medal" ribbon bar?

But why no brass!? Even after discharge you would keep your brass wouldn't you?

Those old aviation cadet uniforms were issued to regular enlisted men. I think that's what's going on here. It does look like an 8th AAF patch!

Kurt

Guys, I think you are right about the 8th patch-the cadet uniform is neat as well. I looked on the back of the photo and it has Rapid City, SD-a drugstore name and the date of May 1, 1945. Maybe the vet was an instructor there or preparing for discharge? Not sure as to the ribbons but looks like a GCM and ETO on the bottom and maybe an Air Medal with clusters above, can't tell the others. This photo came with a bunch from a 379th BG gunner. Just thought it was a nice example of the un-official being worn out.

Mark

doinworkinvans

Yea I think they re-used some of those cadet uniforms, I have a 5th Air force jacket that you can tell had the cadet patch removed from the sleeve.

As for this photo that is def an 8th patch. The no color brass is strange though. But I have learned to never say never!