WWI Era Hard Leather Round Carry Case

Guest junk250

Guest junk250

I found this item recently and would like to know what it was used for.

It is marked only with B.A.T. & S. Co., but I saw another identical on the web that was also marked U.S. and 1918.

It is stiff hard leather and measures 7" in diameter and 3" thick and has a shoulder strap.

What is it ?

post-7710-1251667023.jpg

post-7710-1251667059.jpg

• 4 years later...
PROUD AMERICANS

Hy, This Carrying Case is made for transport of Prismatic Compass M1918, TM 9-1595.

Bye

Julian

• 2 weeks later...

i always heard it was for the Thompson drum magazine,but the weapon was not used in ww1,maybe made up in anticipation of that weapon being ready for use?

It was not for the 50-round Thompson drum. In 1918, even though there were prototypes of the Thompson, the drum magazines had not even been devised yet. There were only 20-round box magazines for them (I believe 1 magazine for each prototype). It also makes no sense since the US Army had switched to all-cotton web equipment for infantrymen by 1903, Thompson and his group would not have designed a leather magazine carrier if they wanted it adopted by the Army. The design is also not very good for the purpose of carrying a 50-round drum because the magazine is not readily graspable and stands a good chance of falling out and onto the ground while you are trying to extract it.

Anticipating their use in 1928 in 1918?

The first Thompson submachine gun was the Colt Model of 1921, first available in the year 1921.

In any event, this item is not Thompson-related in even the slightest manner.