Unknown World War 1 Era Jacket- Help ID

Nkomo

I desperately need some help from one of the WW1 experts. Can anyone identify the patch on this uniform? The uniform also has a blue chevron/stripe on the lower sleeve. Any ideas???

Arch

hs_013.jpg

duarte1223

I can't help on the patch, but I think the chevron is an overseas stripe, there could be a reason the man who wore this wanted it to be blue, but I don't think we'll ever know what it was.

A blue overseas chevron indicated less than six months overseas in the "Zone of Operations"

Each Gold overseas chevron indicated 6 months or greater (i.e. 2 for a years service in the "Zone of Operations")

A silver shevron indicates 6 months service outside the "Zone of Operations" which could be both stateside or overseas, (like Panama) but outside the war zone.

The large "B" patch is the variant for 2nd Army. I am not sure what the blue and white signifies. I have seen this patch referenced as 2nd Army, IV Corps, but I have my doubts about that identification.

Chris

I desperately need some help from one of the WW1 experts. Can anyone identify the patch on this uniform? The uniform also has a blue chevron/stripe on the lower sleeve. Any ideas???

Arch

duarte1223
A blue overseas chevron indicated less than six months overseas in the "Zone of Operations"

Each Gold overseas chevron indicated 6 months or greater (i.e. 2 for a years service in the "Zone of Operations")

A silver shevron indicates 6 months service outside the "Zone of Operations" which could be both stateside or overseas, (like Panama) but outside the war zone.

The large "B" patch is the variant for 2nd Army. I am not sure what the blue and white signifies. I have seen this patch referenced as 2nd Army, IV Corps, but I have my doubts about that identification.

Chris

Well, learn something new every day! thumbsup.gif I thought the blue overseas stripe was just personal preference, maybe from some special girl's dress or something.

Thanks for clearing that up!

The patch looks like a "home made" one but it is correct for the 2nd Army, IV Corp. The style is similar to this one for the 1st Army, V Corp, 37th ID.

Mark

post-569-1178795745.jpg

mortaydc60
The patch looks like a "home made" one but it is correct for the 2nd Army, IV Corp. The style is similar to this one for the 1st Army, V Corp, 37th ID.

Mark

post-569-1178795745.jpg

Mark

You are on the right track by showing your 1st Army patch. The previous reply was correct saying it was second Army; A for 1st,B for 2nd,C for 3rd army. The blue and white squares between the legs are for the 4th Corp. There is a much clearer example of this design as a Liberty Loan and there is also a 3rd army aviation with a C with the aviation cockade included in the design.Nice uniform. Mort

All,

I have a similar tunic in my collection (Chris, you've seen it) I'll dig it out and take some pictures of it. I tend to agree with Chris on this, that the inner patch is some sort of sub-function like Engineers, Arty, or something along those lines. However, we could be over analyzing it and it could be 4th Corps. Either way, you see many more of the Second Army tunics with variations of the 2 than B tunics. I've been told that the B was implemented before the 2, but this tunic tends to counter that theory. If it was an early use, then why is there a six month overseas chevron?? Most likely, (like a lot of AEF insignia and uniforms, use was haphazard and all over the map.

Either way, the B for 2nd Army and the C for third Army are uncommon when compared with the 2nd and 3rd Army AEF tunics that one sees. I'll try to take pictures this weekend and post them on the thread.

John