8th Air Force Group

Brig

after I get his records I plan on building a nice little display

not only is his military career in here, but his whole life. his school grad pin, post-war jobs and his religious side

Brig,

Looks like it all ties together.you have a nice blue and gold warrant officer rank bar in your group.Also looks like the stars on your ETO ribbon are the large english made ones.I have a set of jump wings in a group from a doctor in the 508th PIR who jumped at Normandy and Holland and they have the same large stars as your ETO ribbon.

Good luck with NARA.

RON

I was going through his items again, and the back of his high school graduation pin is marked 'LGP'. I thought it was a maker's mark at first, but it seems that they're his initials, put on the back of the pin. definately our guy

duarte1223

Excellent! I haven't looked at this since I posted, I'm glad everything is coming together.

Make sure you share that display when you get it put together!

Adam

• 1 month later...

here's the info I found at ancestry.com:

ORANGE CITY - Lucien G. Petit, 85, of Hollowridge Drive, died Oct. 18, 2005, at his son's home in Orlando.

Mr. Petit retired as plant manager for the Bureau of Aeronautics and Detachment 25 of the U.S. Air Force. Born in Fall River, Mass., he moved to this area from Massachusetts in 1980.

During World War II, he served as a flight officer, bombardier, navigator and runner in the U.S. Army Air Forces in England. He was a member of OSS Air Army 492nd Bomb Group (known as the Carpetbaggers).

Mr. Petit was a life member of Veterans of Foreign Wars in DeBary, and enjoyed golf and sailing.

He is survived by his wife of 23 years, Marion "Penny"; one daughter, Janice of Moodus, Conn.; one son, John and his wife, Dianne, of Orlando; two brothers, Charles of Swansea, Mass., and Alfred of Vero Beach; one sister, Gertrude Eddelman of Hillsboro, Ore.; one grandson and many nieces and nephews.

Allen-Summerhill was in charge.

marriage record: Nevada

Lucien G Petit Male Marion A Sands 15 Apr 1984

Marion A Sands Female Lucien G Petit 15 Apr 1984

• 1 month later...

well this is disappointing. I got a response from NARA today...of BLANK FORMS saying they couldn't find our man and they needed more info, when I gave them a unit, death date, service number, social security number, etc. So I filled them out, but I fear his records may have been destroyed in the 73 archieve fire crying.gifcrying.gif

Brig,

I got a similar response from NARA awhile back on a AAF vet. I added just a little more info, nothing significant to me, and sure enough in a few weeks, I got a good amount of info on him. Good luck!!

Dave

Brig,

Just a guess but I would imagine the 25 year patch is a VFW award.I seem to remember some of the local guys wearing something similiar on the cuff of their uniforms.The ones I saw were gold/yellow on a dark blue base material.

RON

I agree. Seems like this patch appeared on one of the forums a few years back & that was the ID on it.

Nice grouping by the way. thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

well, I got some success. this is all they could send me, so they claim, from the Freedom of Information Act (they say the record was mostly destroyed, this was gathered from elsewhere)...

Name: Lucien G. Petit

Branch/Service Number: Army/ T 128 663

Dates of Service: July 1, 1944-October 4, 1945

Rank/Grade: Flight Officer

Source of Commission: Presidential Appointment

Assignments/Geographical Locations: Fort Devens, MA

Decorations & Awards: American Defense Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, WWII Victory Medal, WWII Service Lapel Button

Place of Entry: Midland, TX

Place of Separation: Fort Devens, MA

some interesting things here, the WWII lapel button is obviously the ruptured duck. However, it fails to mention his campaign stars on his EAME and his Air Medal. And what does Presidential Appointment mean? No units or campaigns mentioned. Minimal stuff they sent, but better than nothing. Gotta keep searching thumbsup.gif

There is a possiblilty he earned the AM as an enlisted man . The info they sent you was for his officers service . If he earned it as an EM , it might have not been listed on his officer's seperation document.

Kurt

I have found no evidence that he was a Mustang Officer. According to the ribbon bars I have here, he earned two Air Medals....

I have found no evidence that he was a Mustang Officer. According to the ribbon bars I have here, he earned two Air Medals....

One of the items you have has an enlisted service number on it ( 31344729) . The " T " service number is his Flight Officer service number .

Kurt

I'll have to run that number through the archeives and see if it's even a service number think.gif

It is a service number to a draftee from the 1st Army Corps area (the first 2 numbers 3=Draftee , 1 = 1st Corps ) . The AAD internet site may not have the service number on record because the records they have are incomplete. There are gaps .

Kurt