8th Air Force Group

Brig

Picked up this grouping today inside a can! It includes his patches, an Air Medal with full wrap broach, some ENglish-made Ribbon bars, some small insignia, and a bunch of religious and various organization membership pins!

At first, I was disappointed because it wasn't IDed. However, when I opened the little leather case of the religious pendant, inside was marked 'Lucden Petit 31344729'!!

Also included was the large white circular pin with a plane on it, same type that is depicted on a tie tack of his, that says '801st/492nd Bomb Group Carpetbaggers Eight Air Force' which isn't too old a piece but might help ID his unit!

Can't wait to research this group :D

Group.jpg

the man was a warrant officer it seems, and the group contains many service pins for the Army (20 year, 30 year) but also a couple Navy pins (10 year), which maybe was his son?

Mil_Misc.jpg

finally, the medal and the reverse of the medal and British made bars

Medal.jpg

Rears.jpg

I intend to post those up later. the MOH weren't part of the group. I saw that I accidentally photoed them and knew someone would bring them up :lol:

what's the 25 years patch? I've seen them but never knew what they're for

the table is an old table I guess, has little paint stains here and there. when I originally cleaned the table I couldn't even scratch it off, so don't worry..

I got the group from a friend and fellow collector who found it at a show or sale in a closed can marked 'Tin of badges and patches-$18'. Nobody bothered to look inside, apparently. Of course, I paid a few extra bucks :)

The CarpetBaggers from what I understand did quite a bit of covert work in the form of dropping agents OSS/SOE into enemy territory.I believe they also had a couple of Dehaviland Mosquitos that did reconnisance and photo recon.the Mossies were done up in US markings.Some one in the Forum may add to this as Im not real current on the full operations of the Carpet Baggers

RON

Brig,

Just a guess but I would imagine the 25 year patch is a VFW award.I seem to remember some of the local guys wearing something similiar on the cuff of their uniforms.The ones I saw were gold/yellow on a dark blue base material.

RON

Brig, I ran the serial # thru the AAD database and came up with nothing, however, there was a LUCIEN G. PETIT, who was a flight officer with the 801st/492nd. His service number was T-128665. You might want to try the Armyairforces.com and put his name in the proper group catagory. As for the 492nd, after they were disbanded as a bomb group because of excessive losses, they went to work for the OSS dropping teams across Europe from B-24's, C-47's, A-26's and Mossies. They worked almost exclusively at night and their a/c were painted black. If you are interested in their work, there is a book called the "Carpetbaggers" which tells their story well, I hope this helps, Mark.

thanks for the info guys.

the serial number was in a religious pouch, nothing official, so it might be something else. It's not a common name, so I'm guessing that that might be our man. What is this AAD website?

I've never heard of a service number starting with a letter. What is that?

thanks for the help. this group sounds very interesting now!!!

Bob Hudson
Brig, I ran the serial # thru the AAD database and came up with nothing, however, there was a LUCIEN G. PETIT, who was a flight officer with the 801st/492nd. His service number was T-128665. You might want to try the Armyairforces.com and put his name in the proper group catagory. As for the 492nd, after they were disbanded as a bomb group because of excessive losses, they went to work for the OSS dropping teams across Europe from B-24's, C-47's, A-26's and Mossies. They worked almost exclusively at night and their a/c were painted black. If you are interested in their work, there is a book called the "Carpetbaggers" which tells their story well, I hope this helps, Mark.

Good detective work Mark. Lucien was a Carpetbagger so this does appear to be Brig's guy. There's more info on him at http://home.comcast.net/~defactohistorian/stone_garden.htm including links to a photo of him and his crewmates as well as this obituary:

Picture_7.png

this seems to follow the group. VFW pins 25+ years, many pins for flight clubs and one for 5 years service at Pratt & Whitney Aircraft Dependable Engines

request will be going to NARA alright :)thumbsup.gif

thanks for the info guys.

the serial number was in a religious pouch, nothing official, so it might be something else. It's not a common name, so I'm guessing that that might be our man. What is this AAD website?

I've never heard of a service number starting with a letter. What is that?

thanks for the help. this group sounds very interesting now!!!

Brig,

Service numbers for all flight officers began with the letter "T". This helps to differentiate them from officers and other ranks.

Bob Hudson
the man was a warrant officer it seems, and the group contains many service pins for the Army (20 year, 30 year) but also a couple Navy pins (10 year), which maybe was his son?

The obituary says he worked for the "Bureau of Aeronautics" which, as Wikipedia.org notes, "was the U.S. Navy's material-support organization for Naval Aviation from 1921 to 1959." So he was probably a civilian worker for the Navy which would explain the 10 year pin.

the 10 year Navy 'MIS' pin and a 20 year Federal Service Department of the Navy Pin...

interesting how the pieces all just fall together

Good detective work Mark. Lucien was a Carpetbagger so this does appear to be Brig's guy. There's more info on him at http://home.comcast.net/~defactohistorian/stone_garden.htm including links to a photo of him and his crewmates as well as this obituary:

Picture_7.png

Nice Little group but more important the great research from forum members which puts a face on these items and which will keep the memory of this airman alive for a while longer....OoooRah!.........Bob