Jacket, Field, Wool, OD

Skyligter

2006 was one interesting year. I acquired excellent tunics and objects for the Brazilian Military Museum that I collaborate with. I reserved a special "2006" gift for my collection and the Airborne display of the Museum.

101ike19wb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
CNY Militaria

Here is a uniform and overseas cap I picked up last year. The (3) 64th Fighter Wing DI's are screwback and theater made. The MUC on the sleeve is made of Wool, the shoting badge is also a cast example. The EAME ribbon has 5 stars on it. I find it interesting that he wore his DI's, even though he changed to the 9th AAF.

pictures_059.jpg

pictures_062.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
pathfinder505

I don't know if this is the norm but I have seen them go for $10 to $20 with nothing on them in small sizes. The larger ones bring a little more as reenactors like them and there is a little more demand for larger sizes.

They sell for a lot less than the antique stores think they do. I see them in antique and thrift stores and estate sales for $25-50, but unless it's got some very interesting insignia and/or ribbons on it, you are looking at maybe $20 tops and for plain Jane ones, $10.

pathfinder505

Yes I have seen antique stores have them listed for $75 and they DONT sell. I think it is kind of amusing they put that kind of value on some items and then less on others. But they are not collectors most are just trying to make a living.

pathfinder505

I would have had a bigger "warm fuzzy" if the shoulder patches were switched. I could see the 17th going into the 82nd at the end of the war as they didnt have enough points. Who knows which campaign the one star represents. He may not have had a combat jump as there is no star on the wing.

I would not care about the patches. The whole 507th PIR was attached in 1943 to the 82nd A\B Division for the Normandy Jump and in late 1944 permanently assigned to the 17th A/B Division. So there should be many jackets around with the patches like this. But my concern is, the jacket has FA collar disks so he wasn't with the 507th PIR.

pathfinder505

Good point on the patches. That could have occurred when the 507th changed divisions. But if that had happened I would expect more than one battle star.

The brass is another problem.

Here is a different perspective for you. Many of the high point 82nd and 101st troopers left the ETO with the 17th A/B division when they were shipped back to the States. The 17th was going to go fight in Japan and the high pointers were going to be left in the staes as it was felt that their work was done. Normandy Pathfinder Glenn Braddock's Ike jacket is patched with a 101st on his right shoulder and 17th A/B on his left. Whoever did the sewing on this did a superb job and it sure looks righteous to me. Had the seller been trying to "hump" this one, then why isn't there something more "sexy" on the jacket like Inf brass and a CIB etc? I tend to believe that it is a legit uniform with a ribbon bar added.

Here is photographic proof of what Allan just said. This is a photocopy of a picture album that was sent to me by a friend who is writing a book on the 319th GFA. His dad made the switch. I wish the photocopies (and I have pages and pages of them) were a little clearer.

post-118-1171125925.jpg

WOW, just love your jacket. The 17th Cav liberated my town in Brittany in August 1944. I've approx 100 photos of the TFA (15th and 17th Cav) while they liberated Morlaix August 8th 44. I just can believe your jacket belong to one of our liberators!!

Here is one of those 1944 photos. And the same place today...

2mni07a.jpg

2u9he35.jpg

Regards, Yannick

militariacollector

I purchased this Ike jacket from a nearby collector a few years ago. The jacket is named to a "McCarter, 3HQ, 180th Inf." After some brief research I was able to find out that the 180th was part of the 45th Infantry Division during WWII. The jacket itself is dated Dec. 16/1944. I would like to return this jacket to it's original beauty by finding out what the correct insignia to put on it. This is where I need some assistance.

Picture008.jpg

Picture013.jpg

After examining the jacket, you could see that a variety of insignia was present. You can clearly see theh outline of 1st Sgt. Stripes on both sleeves. On the left shoulder very brief outlines of a 45th Infantry Division patch is visible when examined closely. It almost looks like 2 or 3 different 45th patches may have been sewn on. It is very difficult to tell. A little more visible is the remains of a circular patch overtop of the 45th. I'm not sure what this patch would be, and it would be great if someone could help me with this. The patch seems to be about 2 1/4" in diameter.

I just compared the outline of the patch to a Tank Destroyer patch I received the other day and it seems to be the correct size. I checked the 45th Infantry Division website and attached to it was the 645th Tank Destroyer Battalion. I don't know if he was transferred but I would like to find out.

On the right shoulder you can see the outline of yet another 45th patch and I know it was customary to wear the patch of your old division. This patch differs in the only example I have in means of its size. The patch I have is 2 1/4" in diameter and the outline on the jacket is approximately 2.5". Was there slight variations in the patch sizes or would this have been a custom bullion or other variation?

Just by the collar are 2 stampings of 162627. I'm not sure what these are, maybe laundry marks?

Picture009.jpg

On the right breast is the outline of a ruptured duck. On the left breast above the pocket there are a few things missing. On the inside of the jacket are two holes (picture below). This looks a bit high for the ribbon bar. Could it be for a CIB or something similar?

Picture018.jpg

It looks as if the ribbon bar may have been sewn on as I can't find holes and it looks like it was about 12cm or 8 3/4" long. I don't have any ribbons in my collection so I'm not sure how many were present. If someone could help me in telling what these ribbons most likely would have been I would be very happy. Below the outline of the ribbon bar are two holes 5cm apart. I'm not sure what this was for but would it be for an additional ribbon or more likely for a marksman badge?

As for overseas bars, it appears that there is an outline of about 2" wide by 2 1/4" tall. I don't have any of these, so if someone could tell me how many these are, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also on the collars, there are 4 pin holes where insingia was once placed. Correct me if I am wrong, but would 1 be for the US, 1 for the crossed rifles for infantry (or tank destroyers if he was with them), and the lower 2 for DUIs?

That is it for the explanation of the jacket and if you have any questions, please let me know and more pictures can be taken if required.

What I would like to know is how I can obtain more information about the owner of the jacket. I did a search on the NARA records and a few results came up. I also checked with the 45th Division website and museum for any records of a McCarter a few years ago and they couldn't help me or didn't reply. I am unfamilliar with sending requests to NARA for records so if someone could help me with that or point me to a link that would be great.

Thanks

Brian Dentino

Well, I am not sure that I can help you out a whole lot since I have not had much luck at all with the NARA but I will try. Send me a PM and I will get you my form letter which was recommended by others. Hope it might help you more than it has helped me thus far.

• 2 weeks later...