Show us your wounded ones.

Freshman

From time to time I run across US medals which weren‘t treated well.

Sometimes when the price is right I still buy them. Until now I only have two messed up medals and they are resting in the dark areas of my collection, where they aren’t seen so often.

Maybe some of you have similar medals so here is a topic where you can post pictures of them so they get a bit more attention.

I start with my only Soldier’s Medal, it has a slot broach.

The whole medal seemed to be painted at least two times; the ribbon is hard like stone.

post-2919-1251467010.jpg

My second and last piece is an Air Medal with two silver Oak Leaf Clusters. It has a crimp broach and is named George Whaley and was hit many times. Maybe the owner was angry because the Broach was upside down.

post-2919-1251467229.jpg

shrapneldude
From time to time I run across US medals which weren‘t treated well.

Sometimes when the price is right I still buy them. Until now I only have two messed up medals and they are resting in the dark areas of my collection, where they aren’t seen so often.

Maybe some of you have similar medals so here is a topic where you can post pictures of them so they get a bit more attention.

I start with my only Soldier’s Medal, it has a slot broach.

The whole medal seemed to be painted at least two times; the ribbon is hard like stone.

post-2919-1251467010.jpg

I've had a few very badly abused ones over the years. The worst ones are the Purple Heart and Legion of Merits -- a little dampness or heat and that enamel starts to bubble and chip away and the medal is pretty much shot after that. I'll try to find photos later.

On another note -- not sure if you bought that Soldier's Medal from me, but I sold that one several months ago on eBay. That sat on the same dealer's table for a long, long time at the flea market and I kept telling myself not to buy it because it was in such bad shape, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it needed a good home. Like a stray dog. Glad it's still being taken care of. :thumbsup: