Cold weather wool shirts

Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

During the Korean War the Marine Corps adopted a dark green wool flannel shirt the same color as their winter service uniform. So maybe it was worn with the service uniform at some point but I know it was also worn in the field.

post-4-1164501876.jpg

post-4-1164501932.jpg

Greg Robinson

I assume the green flannel shirt was intended to replace the "shirt, flannel, winter service" that was used during the WW2 period. That shirt also saw double duty as a field shirt worn inside and outside the utility ("dungaree") shirt. I'll attach a pic, it's the same shirt as the green one but for the color and the pointed pocket flaps.

I've seen a lot of those Army M1951 wool shirts. They're much heavier than the Marine shirt and the ones I've seen have lots of orange printing on the inside.

post-4-1164506436.jpg

• 11 years later...

I picked up a forest green wool flannel shirt with ww2 pvt stripes sewn on, at first I thought it was dyed. But see it was Korean War used

I have a Marine wool shirt I picked up at the Quantico thrift shop on base a few years back. It is a beauty. They were issued well before my time but believe they were in use into the mid 1960s. My senior drill instructor wore one under his utility shirt when we were at the rifle range.