My USMC Shoulder Patch Collection

Brig

this doesn't include my Raider and Paramarine patches. These are the patches I've added to my collection since then...

first up, the entirety

Fronts.jpg

51 and 52 patches. I'm not familiar with patches too much, so I don't know what these are. I do know that they have a very strange backing and they glow like the 4th of July under blacklight. I think they're repros...looking for an expert opinion think.gif

102_0071.jpg

I think these are 5th Amphibious Corps (?). one on the left with moth damage is made of felt with cheesecloth backing, looks almost hand-made by the gator (?). the one on the right I got from a fellow board member, and glows in a few spots, probably from washing. I got the one on the left, which doesn't glow, with the same group as above, plus two others I think might be fake, but I have a feeling it's the only good one in the lot.

102_0074.jpg

102_0076.jpg

an 18 and a 4, once again I don't know what they're for, but they came with the first two depicted and these glow bright, too. any opinions? mine is repro. backs are more red than white

102_0078.jpg

102_0079.jpg

FMF-PAC and a 2nd Air something (?) patch, both from a fellow board member. the khaki material around the PAC patch glows, but that's it. I've never seen Khaki around a USMC patch, but I don't really collect the patches. is the fist engineering?

102_0081.jpg

102_0082.jpg

here's a felt, moth-ridden cheese backed patch, can't remember if it's 3rd or 5th Marines? non-glow. I like it. were felt patches later war issue?

102_0083.jpg

102_0085.jpg

couple first Marine Division patches, non-glow. one on the right is smaller. wondering if maybe it was a shirt patch or just shrunk in the wash or something?

102_0087.jpg

BOB K. RKSS
an 18 and a 4, once again I don't know what they're for, but they came with the first two depicted and these glow bright, too. any opinions? mine is repro. backs are more red than white

>>> FELT patches are early. "4" with eagle is 4th Marine Base Defense Air Wing. "18', "51", & "52" are Defence Battalions

BOB K. RKSS
FMF-PAC and a 2nd Air something (?) patch, both from a fellow board member. the khaki material around the PAC patch glows, but that's it. I've never seen Khaki around a USMC patch, but I don't really collect the patches. is the fist engineering?

>>> "FMF-PAC" Headquarters, & Aircraft Fuselage 2nd Wing

thanks for the IDs. any idea of originality of the defense battalions and defense wing?

thanks for the IDs. any idea of originality of the defense battalions and defense wing?

from the first picture the first 4 patches and the fmf pac patch are repros

verry bad repros

the others are great

regards

Yep, all the defense BN. patches are bad. The rest look OK, but the very clean and fresh fully embroidered patches should have the "burn test" on a tiny piece of the white thread from the back just to make sure.

CB

the only part of the FMF patch that glows is the khaki boarder, which seems odd in itself. I think it's pretty good, any one disagree?

what's the burn test?

Nothing should glow, but anyway, to do the burn test, work out tiny piece of the white thread on the back and, with tweezers, touch the thread to a hot stove burner or something. If the thread melts and smells like burning plastic, it is bad.

If it burns to ash and smells like burning hair, it is good.

This is the only sure way. Sometimes good patches will glow slightly if they have been washed with detergent containing phosphates.

CB

mortaydc60
Nothing should glow, but anyway, to do the burn test, work out tiny piece of the white thread on the back and, with tweezers, touch the thread to a hot stove burner or something. If the thread melts and smells like burning plastic, it is bad.

If it burns to ash and smells like burning hair, it is good.

This is the only sure way. Sometimes good patches will glow slightly if they have been washed with detergent containing phosphates.

CB

Do not mean to provoke anything but what was the purpose in posting this collection; if you knew that some were repros and not identified as such. Did you just want confirmation that they were bad? Just asking. Mort

yeah, some questions, some just for display. while I'm here, here are a few more USMC patches from my collection that I know are 100% good to go for your viewing pleasure...nothing fantastic

untitledd.JPG