Marking of clothing and equipment

• 4 months later...

I have a question about USMC QM double-date markings in uniforms from the 20's, 30's and 40's. When we see 1930 - 1931 when was the uniform manufactured? And why did they use two dates. I'm a Marine from the 50's and I have no clue. Any of you uniform "Reg. researchers know?

Thanks.....Semper Fi.....Bobgee

craig_pickrall

As far as I know those are fiscal year dates. The item could have been made at any time during the one year period. I'm not sure what month was the start of the fiscal year for the USMC during that time period but I would guess either SEPT or OCT.

As far as I know those are fiscal year dates. The item could have been made at any time during the one year period. I'm not sure what month was the start of the fiscal year for the USMC during that time period but I would guess either SEPT or OCT.

Thanks! That makes perfect "military" sense.

Semper Fi........Bobgee

• 2 weeks later...
Bob Hudson

I have some P1941 trousers from a retired USMC Sgt Major (in the Corps 1943-1973). He marked them similar to the WWII Army style, "M-8212" When did the Marines do that?????

• 2 years later...
craig_pickrall

Unfortunately the answer is no. They were linked to a web hosting site. When the original poster deleted them or changed them they are then gone from this site as well. The only hope now is the original poster will see this and repost the photos or possibly someone copied them and will repost.

• 2 months later...
I have some P1941 trousers from a retired USMC Sgt Major (in the Corps 1943-1973). He marked them similar to the WWII Army style, "M-8212" When did the Marines do that?????

Bob: One of my M1942 Marine camo suits is marked that way on both Coat and Trousers, in about 1/4" figures. Sure couldn't say when it was done, though :think: