M1 Camo or stain?

Pep

Got this one yesterday.

post-2260-1251388090.jpg

I am wondering if the lighter badge areas are just some type of stain, residue or camo color?

The helmet is id'd to James L. Weber ASN: 38457429; enlisted 3/26/43.

It is a "Shoe" shell Heat number 244A Swivel bail.

More pics next.

That looks like a kind of wear I've seen before: to me it always looked like helmets had been stacked one on top of the other for long term storage and moisture got trapped in there and corrosion had started.

That looks like a kind of wear I've seen before: to me it always looked like helmets had been stacked one on top of the other for long term storage and moisture got trapped in there and corrosion had started.

Will a soapy water scrub clean it off if it is a "rust"?

Pep

looks more like stain / residue from age and long term storage

I like the way it looks now, it adds a little character, you can tell it's been on there a long time

it doesnt look like rust

It's just a form of soiling from the elements, moisture, humidity, storage etc, to clean it off would be a sin imho, adds character, part of the helmet :)

I wouldnt try to scrub it, because once you remove the stain / soiling it will have a fresh spot that wont match the rest of the overall appearance.

it probably took 40 - 50 years of aging to get that look, cleaning it off will remove the history / salty look

Thanks guys.

I got it. "Stains" be OK.

I did try to "clean" a little area but no luck that discoloration is on there.

Pep

Nice looking helmet...could also be from mud from hunkering down in some foxhole in Europe or some beach in the PTO. You never know where that helmet has been and what story it has to tell. Anyways, keep the "salt". If you want newer looking helmets you can always trade with someone who likes the saltier look of things. :thumbsup:

agree with Nick, just leave it.

the corking looks nice and so does the color.

the liner complete?

Charlie

Westinghouse Liner was complete but for the chinstrap. Fortunately I had a couple of extras.

It is Id'd to Harry E. Tracy ASN 31289391 Enlisted 2/2/43

post-2260-1251460871.jpg

post-2260-1251460881.jpg

post-2260-1251460889.jpg

• 11 years later...

I was contacted by Mr. James L. Weber's last living daughter a week ago.

She had found some correspondence(email) I had with her older sister in 2009.

She asked if I would sell this helmet back to her as it was her fathers.

After I was able to verify her to actually be his daughter, I told her for the price it would take to ship it to her she could have it no cost.

I received today an email with her heart felt thanks at repatriating this helmet to her.

It can be passed down in her family now. 

I am not sure how much this type of thing happens, but I was happy to get it back to the vets family.

Pep

Well done deed.  At the end of the day, most of us collect this stuff in honor of the soldiers who once used it.  Can't think of a better way of honoring Mr Weber.

Mikie