Fantasy, Repro, & Counterfeit EGA Reference Thread

cbuehler

See the Chinese characters.. HA HA..awesome camera! love it!

I don't see anything that resembles Chinese. All I see is casting marks and a bunch of random lines.

If it was Chinese made, they would use a stamp, or a commonly called a chop, or they would have used a tool to stamp each individual strokes in each character. I don't think I have recalled any scratches.

• 4 weeks later...
Okay, if this is a repro or a fantasy piece as you describe it, who made it, when was it made, and where was it made?

Thats funny. None of the questions can be answered, and nor should they. This piece is a conglomeration of a WW1 enlisted service hat piece (suspect made by Art Medal Works or Ronson) and has had an added USN Chiefs anchor and rope to make it "officer". This piece was not pre-existing until just a few months ago. Two have no popped up. I didnt even look to see if it may be the same one. Its crap, and someone got taken for almost $500!!!

S/F,

Mike

teufelhunde.ret

The Eagle, Globe, and Anchor, 1859-1969. Col John A. Driscoll, USMCR. 1971. 1977 reprint. 164 pp. is the only publication out there which is satisfactory, yet it has flaws, as we know it today.

http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/HD/PDF_Files/Pub...19000319900.pdf

It is a large PDF, on occasion you can find copies on ebay 15-20 bucks, originals 50 bucks plus

A USMC China Marine EGA Diamond set was just listed on ebay. Unfortunately the seller only posted two photographs which don't show close up details of the badges.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/China-Marine-Brass...e#ht_500wt_1413

Considering two of the plates have officer's egas on them I am a bit leary of this. If the seller is that knowledgeable of these as being rare why dont they point out two of them being officers? My two cents worth.

Leatherneck72

Seems like I am seeing alot of these lately.....I will be the first to weigh in and pat someone on the back, but to be honest....

I have my doubts...

Leatherneck72

These have been "showing up" recently as the economy has slowed and people need money. Unfortunately, I believe that these are re-pops made possibly 1960's/1970's. Many people who think they have good pieces got burned many years ago and didnt realize it. Just because something was has sat in a collection for 30 years, doesnt make it right. As I have stated in other posts about these type diamonds, I do not think they are real. These are ringers for the ones that popped up last month, except for the one that sold on E-bay. These here lack specific characteristics that are associated with attributed originals. Not too many people have handled real and documented Peking Legation badges. Once you handle a real one, you know.

If the seller doesnt show close shots of the enamel details, back side, and side profile shots, he is definately hiding things. If he is going to want the big money that it appears he is asking with a $1000 first bid he needs to show more, If he shows these profiles, those who have seen or handled real ones will have their answer.

s/f,

Brian

williamsmilitaryrelics

They are the repro set from the 70's, I had a doubt when I first saw the dark blue one but it's more likely an effect from the camera.

Will

I think the question of originally for this set is well answered above. There are only a few collectors out there who have real ones (sadly I am not one....yet)....and Leatherneck is right about knowing what to look for...therefore I look forward to the new EGA book from one of our members. I think the next thing to find in the Archives will be some type of official record of money allocated to buy these from a local producer...given what I've come across in the National archives already I wouldn't be surprised if someday somebody finds that for us. I've found records of the detachment buying things off the local economy such as bulk liqueur and other supplies...so why not diamonds.....

Lastly the sellers use of dates in his photo...they are a strange mix of Marine involvement in China dates...getting some right but leaving others out ...also noted the mythical green diamond the seller has included.

teufelhunde.ret

For the life of me, I do not understand why anyone would by "mrmac" repro's to begin with. Nonetheless, he has rolled out another new EGA repro. This are being called WW1 emblems, WRONG, they are copies of the WW2 era issue emblems, and the claim is they are "sterling silver with a heavy 24kt gold plate". Would someonme explain to me why them would buy these? After all a set of guilt period emblem can be had today for less... I will never understand :blink:

This is a museum quality reproduction of a US Marine Corp Enlisted EGA set made in sterling silver with a heavy 24kt gold plate. WWI insignia is very hard to find. Here is an excellent example of one of this insignia, with sterling hallmark, that is affordable until a real one comes along.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWI-USMC-Enlisted-...=item56469f7a8f

__KGrHqUOKjME6VC7_G8bBOnf1BNbK___60_35.jpg

Darrell,
Great post (above) on NCHS (George Peterson's) junk. He also has a new WW1 repo hat device.
(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

What bugs me, is he doesnt mark them as repo, and they get picked up by novices as the real deal, or picked up by those that age them and re-sell them as "well worn" or "old". He has claimed to me that he makes them with just enough low quality that anyone can tell they are fake. I do not agree. These are marked with maker's marks and "sterling", etc. I know he has them made in some foreign country's sweat shop.

I dont think anyone has posted clear pics of his product. Here are his WW2 NS Meyers. They have melted looking details and poor craftsmanship. The silver portions also give a "frosty" looking appearance. The officer gooney bird hat device that is on E-bay this week resembles the NCHS product.
(BROKEN LINKS REMOVED)

These new additions are a continuation of a breed of fakes that all EGA collectors need to know about.

Maybe an administrator can start a thread on just NCHS's fakes??

S/F,
Mike

The pieces posted by Mike have been cast by using the "lost wax" casting method. A rubber mold is made of the original EGA. Once the mold is finished, molten wax is poured or injected into it. This wax copy of the original model is removed from the mold. The model-maker may reuse the mold to make multiple copies, limited only by the durability of the mold. Each wax copy is then "chased": a heated metal tool is used to rub out the marks that show the parting line or flashing where the pieces of the mold came together. The wax is dressed to hide any imperfections. You can see the mold marks on the reverse of the fake EGA. The wax now looks like the finished piece but is smaller than the original because of the wax shrinking as it cools. The wax copy is “sprued” with a treelike structure of wax that will eventually provide paths for molten casting material to flow and air to escape. A dozen or more EGA waxes can be attached to this wax tree. The wax tree is covered with a high temperature plaster. The plaster coated "tree" is placed in a kiln, whose heat melts the wax and it runs out of the plaster mold Now all that remains of the original wax tree of EGA’s is the negative space, formerly occupied by the wax, inside the plaster mold. The feeder and vent tubes are also hollow. Metal is melted in a crucible in a furnace, then poured carefully into the plaster mold. When cooled the metal EGA’s are cut from the tree. Each piece is polished then aged with chemicals. The finished piece may be 10% to 15% smaller than the original EGA. There is a loss of detail in the finished piece and what were sharp edges around feathers etc. are now “mushey”. If you look you can see the marks at the edges from the wax being melted and trimmed. Sorry to run on with the explanation but if you know the fake was made you are much better equipped to tell that it is a fake.

Dick

normaninvasion

What gets me about these NCHS fakes is that with a little age and added to a period uniform someone could get really hosed. I dont even know what to think about the Ronson and Pasq fakes, pretty scary.