Fantasy, Repro, & Counterfeit EGA Reference Thread

cbuehler

• 2 weeks later...

They look like rusted, pitted cast iron. I'm almost tempted to buy a pair just because they are so bad - so bad you can't even call them fakes. They are in a league of their own :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did some research and discovered these are the rare cast iron EGA's made in blacksmith forges located just behind the trenches in WWI France. An enterprising Army blacksmith soon realized there would be little call for new horseshoes in that war so he made a crude sand casting of an EGA and melted down horseshoes to cast the emblems. He made fortune selling them to Marines who knew that their EGA collar disks would only be around for a couple of years. These cast iron EGA's were crude looking but in the fog of war they appeared quite nice.

Greg Robinson

This is depressing. I don't buy a lot of Marine emblems and over the years have just gotten one off ebay. But I never used to give any thought to them being fakes. 

As collectors of USMC Eagle, Globe & Anchor emblems, all of us need to be aware of what's out in the marketplace before we get seperated from big bucks for modern repros. Knowledge is power they say so here are some "RARE" items you can purchase from EBay seller NCHS. They are relatively inexpensive and might not be a bad investment for some as 'types'They are sold as rproductions but are not marked as such. .........Be careful out there............it's a collector's minefield! Semper Fi........Bob

REPRO_Silver_Black_USMC_EGAs..jpg

REPRO_Silver_USMC_EGAs.jpg

Repro_USMC_French_Pair_GILT_NCHS_05_07_OBV_EBay.j.jpg

Repro_USMC_French_Pair_GILT_NCHS_05_07_REV_EBay.j.jpg

Repro_USMC_French_Pair_NCHS_05_07_OBV_EBay.jpg

Repro_USMC_French_Pair_NCHS_05_07_REV_EBay.j.jpg

Repro_USMC_Pair_EBay_05_07_REV.jpg

Repro_USMC_Pair_EBay_OBV.jpg

Repro_USMC_Pair_EBay_OBV.jpg

REPRO__Silver_USMC_EGAs.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Hey Bob, thanks for posting these. I take real issue w/ these, not about his right to make and sell this junk, but for what they "become" when they leave his hands and enter the secondary. At least he says up front what they are, but, what happens when they are in someone else's hand or show up in flea markets and the such, is a whole different issue 

I've had several warnings from eBay that harrassing sellers WILL NOT be tolerated, when all I did was suggest to the sellers of these reproductions, this one included, that they should mark them as such. Don't kid yourself, these sellers know what they're doing and anything that messes with the bottom line $$$ wont be tolerated by either them or eBay.

With prices realized for scarce to rare EGA's, we are just now beginning to see the selling of excellent fakes, and it's going to become the same mess allot of us saw with TR badges a decade or so ago.

Gary

teufelhunde.ret

I agree with Gary wholeheartedly. When this seller commenced putting these fakes, they were very obvious. However they were not very well received, I believe due in part to their "New Finish" an ugly / crude appearance. Over time I have observed his "product line" increasing in numbers and a reversal from the new finish to one of an aged patina of sorts and significantly increased detailing. The intent is obvious. As long as these types can hide beneath the skirt of Meg Whitman... disgust.gif enough said!

• 3 weeks later...

Whoever is making these, is also making the re-pops of the French made WW1 insignia and other insignia that never existed, such as the 8th and I looking piece and the upswept wings piece. The construction and back is a dead giveaway as well as the blued/blackened appearance. It is hard to see but the back of the anchor side almost looks like it was ground out or hollowed out, a pebbled appearance to give a hollow cast appearance. The black on some of these can be rubbed off with the fingers as well.

Whatever process they are using when casting these, it all looks the same (like junk) and is not known to have existed on any original lots that I have handled. This seller has to be in contact with the maker, know who it is, or has a large supply of these that he slowly tries to sell. It's funny how he tries to work the sleight-of-hand magic by adding a real campaign hat or in this case throwing in a pair of $3.00 Major's insignia to "sell" the piece.

The fakes of the French made versions and 8th and I pieces were being peddled by military and antique dealers out of the Gettysburg area a few years ago, they were in every antique store and military store there. The story there was that they were out of a collection of an old USMC Quartermaster and he saved examples before they were approved by the Marine Corps....all BS. These will also be stamped "J.R. GAUNT, ENGLAND" and have seperately applied logos. I think the source is East Coast and around Virginia.

I know some names of who was peddling them but not sure who is making them. I have a suspicion. These have since showed up on Manion's Auctions and will be seen as buy it nows on E-Bay.

I will post some pics of these non-existent insignia all together so that you can see, side by side, the similarities of construction.

Maj Manifor

From his photos, it's hard to see closeup detail, but I can tell that it's a cast piece of junk, even with these photos. Look at the supposed double looped rope on the anchor ring. Those double ropes are cast into the ring and flattened on the reverse. That's pretty much all one needs to know that it's fake, but this seller has done this before with crummy photos, maybe adding some original rank emblems to spice up the auction, and he obviously knows what type of EGA it is, so why a $39.00 starting bid. He's phishing for a high final bid and that's all I can see with this auction.

Gary

Here is my opinion on these fakes..

1. They are made by the same person

2. They all carry distinct cast, "ground out", or melted looking depressions on the back..

3. The front side features no crisp line detail, rather a funky looking flat and burnished look..

4. Are very thick castings, look at the width of the globe wall when viewing the back sides of the globes..

5. The person making these is either a jeweler or is well versed in jeweler methods and metalurgy.

6. Are way over the top to ever be considered real...

My opinion...

Maj Manifor

Mike...Thanks for posting and commenting on these Bogus pieces. I have seen that applied 'J.R. Gaunt - London' logo before on a fake rare type metal Royal Flying Corps wing badge. I agree that was not the style of this renowned Brit insignia manufacturer.

Since we're looking at "Big Droopy" officer egas here, I'm re-posting a couple of pics of one I bought at an OMSA convention 6-7 years ago. Totally Bogus! But it shows what this guy....and I agree that it's probably one guy with some jewelry manufacturing knowledge or he's subbing it out overseas. Anyhow.........there is some scary stuff out there. Semper Fi......Bob

Bogus_Fantasy_Droopy_Officer.JPG

I think I was a victim of this Gettysburg (actually Oldberg if I remember correctly, which is near Gettysburg). I bought the EGA pictured below about 5 years ago from a shop that had a lot of display cabinets with militaria and one wuith a lot of Marine stuff in it. One of the items was a nice looking old service cover EGA and I ended up buying it for $150. After looking at some of the EGAs here, I think I ended up buying a fake.

Since I took rather high res photos it seems only one will fit on this post. I'll post the rear view in a follow-on.

Comments please...

post-1107-1190334686.jpg

Here's the backside. It doesn't show well in the pic but the anchor is attached to the rather thick disc whic,h,in turn, is attached to the back of the globe.

post-1107-1190334739.jpg

Yes, that is one of the known fakes, fantasy pieces, that I had described above coming out of that area. Note the thick casting, and the beveled out area to the rear and the stove black appearance. Yours appears to have been rubbed and distressed to give it an older look. Definately meant to decieve. I wish I could meet the person who made these face to face.

Mike

Yes, that is one of the known fakes, fantasy pieces, that I had described above coming out of that area. Note the thick casting, and the beveled out area to the rear and the stove black appearance. Yours appears to have been rubbed and distressed to give it an older look. Definately meant to decieve. I wish I could meet the person who made these face to face.

I'm probably within my rights to ask, Mike. Unfortunately, as it said, it was several years ago and, while I probably kept the receipt for a while, I have long since thrown it away.

I had done some business with the owner of this shop as on eBay in the past (a couple military prints and books) and all that was fine so I thought I could trust him. When I bought the EGA in question, I asked the counterman if it was an original or a replica item. While I stood there, he called the shop owner and asked him and he said it was an original and proclaimed that he does not sell replicas in his shop. You're also right about the wear issue on the EGA. The finish of the EGA, at least on the front, was very nice, almost mirror-smooth. The apparent finish wear, with what looked like brass showing through the black finish, was convincing, particularly to a non-expert like me.

The sad thing is that the next time I went to the Gettysburg area, I made a special trip to his shop and bought a couple there small, and rather common, Marine items from him and those were quite genuine. It seems he is intermingling replica stuff with genuine items and I think he is knowledgable to know the difference.

Thanks all for your comments and thanks to Brig for suggesting I post the EGA on the open forum. It's a bit embarrassing to admit that I was ignorant enough to have been duped like this but it's better to know one way or the other. I have to admit that my trust level related to Marine items overall, and EGAs in particular, has diminished considerably of late after seeing so many examples of fakes/replicas here, including a couple that I've personally been duped on. Suffice it to say I will not be going back to that shop again......for anything.

Came across these in the completed listing on ebay. Description states they are rare French made discs with pin back style catch. Interested in comments on these.

post-832-1190494240.jpg post-832-1190494269.jpg

From what I have seen on discs, this style of pin is of US manufacture. The French style of pin that I have seen is of a thinner stock and is wrapped around the hinge once, giving the pin the spring locking effect on the catch. The "C" catch appears to be made of the same stock as the pin. This is just the conclusion I have drawn on what I have observed in the past.... 

I believe I remember this Eban auction.... I was suspicious and still am that these discs are junky repops. The materials look suspect along with the design. A few pieces found in a can... that they were aged in with uri... :blink: