Fantasy, Repro, & Counterfeit EGA Reference Thread

cbuehler

This piece of crap brought $331 on eBay awhile back. We've seen countless goonie emblems from whoever is churning this out, they branched out into a 'dancing bird' variant and added a Firmin mark for added BS

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Found on Ebay last night and looks to be very interesting. Spoke to a couple forum members and seem to get pros and cons on the EGA. Thought I would post and see what the consensus is.post-12180-0-63979100-1485213799_thumb.jpg

That's no good. The real ones were made by experienced jewelers, this has none of the classic characteristics.

Any Chance that this was made by a really bad Jeweler, because Someone needed an emblem in a pinch? Jungle shop / Theatre made? You are sitting on the ship and your cover blows overboard and you say "Hey plt sgt, Can you make something really quick that will work. he goes to his buddy the chief and says do you have any extra emblems......etc

Having Said that, I would not want to be the guy to pull the trigger on this grouping.

Patchcollector

Any Chance that this was made by a really bad Jeweler, because Someone needed an emblem in a pinch? Jungle shop / Theatre made? You are sitting on the ship and your cover blows overboard and you say "Hey plt sgt, Can you make something really quick that will work. he goes to his buddy the chief and says do you have any extra emblems......etc

Having Said that, I would not want to be the guy to pull the trigger on this grouping.

I was wondering if it could have been a field repair myself.The globe and most of the anchor looks different than the eagle.I've circled the part of the anchor that appears to be added on.Perhaps the eagle and part of the anchor broke off and new pieces put on?

post-13386-0-80983900-1485273477_thumb.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

YES! One would need it in hand for examination, nonetheless, I would take odds it has origins as period made by someone with a serious lack of skills and rudimentary tools. Certainly not made by known silversmiths of the era. Certainly a worthy conversation piece!

teufelhunde.ret

I was wondering if it could have been a field repair myself.The globe and most of the anchor looks different than the eagle.I've circled the part of the anchor that appears to be added on.Perhaps the eagle and part of the anchor broke off and new pieces put on?

One can find numerous examples of this anchor in the Officer EGA ref section and Klie's mammoth new EGA pictorial guide...

That is the UGLIEST bird I have ever seen on a Marine hat device! I would call it a SXXT BIRD! Like FlyUSMC says .....MAYBE it could have been made as an expedient in far-a-way places but I wouldn't want it in my collection. The seller, with no history, values it very highly.

I've been wrong before but on this one, I'd keep my money in my pocket. Semper Fi.......Bobgee

I think it is a sham auction meant to fool. A few things besides the EGA's appearance......no seller history, buttons are enlisted (very common surplus Horstmann variety) and way to easy to throw in a $10 pair of collar insignia and a $5 ribbon to wet the appetite. It already has someone willing to drop $600+ (auction still has 8 days left). It looks like the EGA attempt is at a Breuninger piece, but made by a blind jeweler with no thumbs.

Unless I pulled this from the trunk myself or saw it in a period photo would I believe it and even then I would debate whether I wanted it in my collection. I like what Bob Gill has said and fully endorse his comments.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone compared the globe to known emblems for comparison to see if they frankensteined a real emblem? I am abroad and don't have my references on me. Hideous bird. I see it sold for $601

usmcaviator

I think one of the forum members has handled some, if not, all of these pieces. He told me the seller has three total. We know two have made it to E-Bay. So one is still floating????? Watch out.

These are just too far "out there" in terms of visual appearance and construction. I do admit that the second one shows a little better craftsmanship, but still lots of things I don't like. The second one's globe looked pretty good, it displays a slight bit more eagle detail (even though the eagle lost his legs/talons), and the sturdy hinge is closer to pre-1904, but that's about all of the somewhat positive.

What I don't like: the simple straight pin and the way the it wraps around the hinge (all pre 1904 pieces I have and have seen have thick tapered and strong looking pins, the simple and thin catch, no eagle feet (most likely too hard to do, as was evident by the broken attempt at legs on the first one), the lack of detail to all pieces (anchor stock, eagle, globe, fretting), the crazy continents, and the sloppy finishing (blurred edges and melted look) that ties in to the overall poor appearance.

Besides, ask yourself what are the chances of three pre 1904 hat devices being found out of an estate? With nothing else significant same era USMC material being found? Or a name for provenance? Yeah, I know.

As much as you want to believe, you should be weary of making excuses to make these right and just trust your eye and your gut. A Marine officer in 1900 would have trusted his gut on these emblems too!

BOTTOM LINE: I think we are seeing the results of a novice jeweler's "learning curve". It will be interesting to see the third device....if it shows!

Mike

usmcaviator

You think we will see more things like this now that there are reference books out?

To a slight degree, I think so. It gives people ideas and provides intricate knowledge and detail. I think their ability to see it in detail and associate the value (Ebay market in particular) helps fuel their motive. This forum, helps spawn some spurious pieces (great stuff is posted) but the Forum is also responsible for quickly calling them out. I think books and the Forum do more positive than negative towards the hobby of collecting. One example that I can relate to......I once owned a China Marine Mounted Detachment patch that came in a USMC Peking Mounted grouping. I never showed it to anyone, but sold it to Dick Bonham who displayed it in his great book "China Horse Marine", now I see the patch copied by NCHS. NCHS has also done copies of the very rare China Marine sleeve striker, a tan one specifically that recently showed up on E-bay that sold for a couple thousand. To NCHS's credit, he sells all of his items as copies, however his items do show up aged and worked over and being sold as originals.....EGAs in particular....his 1914 officer collar devices and 1918 French made are being painted, aged, and modified to fool people.

Mike