Fantasy, Repro, & Counterfeit EGA Reference Thread

cbuehler

Don't think anyone will mistake this one for a real one again. Scratched the back to confirm it was lead. Then thought while I was at it....

By the way if anyone is looking for an Original Style, WWI Looking, Authentic reproduction, just let me know

S/F

John

post-5056-0-62886900-1388865600.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The latest garbage being offered by 'nchs' on eBay...he's selling them as repros, they're really bad...especially that 'Ellis'!

$_57 (3).JPG

$_57 (4).JPG

teufelhunde.ret

Geez they are ugly!!! That cover emblem is supposed to be an Ellis Emblem... BTW the true identity and maker of this emblem will be revealed in the forth coming book I spent two years editing... Anyway it's fugly!

• 4 months later...

Not an expert of EGAs and I understand that this particular style EGA has been copied a lot. I decided to take a chance and buy this one as it didn't cost that much and I noticed what looked like honest wear on the front of the globe where the nickel has worn away. However the pins on the back look like they have never been manipulated so I was wondering if this was an original EGA or copy? Also is this the EGA that attaches to shoulder boards? Thanks in advance for your help.

post-1389-0-26304200-1420144774.jpg

post-1389-0-89222900-1420144789.jpg

Stokes/Bannerman's. As for 'authenticity', this is probably the most controversial subject in the EGA hobby

Stoke's/Bannerman bought a lot of unfinished stock, and they also got a hold of original dies and continued to produce pieces. They were sold to collectors. This all started well before WWII. Some consider these surplus, some consider them post-contract completed originals, and some consider them fakes altogether. You see these sold all the time on eBay, usually weekly, and depending how they're listed determines the end price. I list them as Bannerman's stock, and tend to get 25-35 bucks each. Some people list them as original, and fetch 50-100. And some shady useless toolbags use them on repro shields and caps and other repros to drive prices up.

The tell on these is they tend to be thinner than those found on the shoulder epaulettes. The shoulder epaulettes also had two prongs per side, not one. A three prong version exists, for wear on the old (often star vented) covers. The biggest tell on these is the excess metal from the lower anchor fluke to the globe, which would have been snipped off prior to passing an inspection. I've probably owned 20 or so of these over the years. Fairly common bird

In short, it depends on your take of the word 'original'. I haven't seen any solid proof that these with the excess were period worn at all

Stokes/Bannerman's. As for 'authenticity', this is probably the most controversial subject in the EGA hobby

Stoke's/Bannerman bought a lot of unfinished stock, and they also got a hold of original dies and continued to produce pieces. They were sold to collectors. This all started well before WWII. Some consider these surplus, some consider them post-contract completed originals, and some consider them fakes altogether. You see these sold all the time on eBay, usually weekly, and depending how they're listed determines the end price. I list them as Bannerman's stock, and tend to get 25-35 bucks each. Some people list them as original, and fetch 50-100. And some shady useless toolbags use them on repro shields and caps and other repros to drive prices up.

The tell on these is they tend to be thinner than those found on the shoulder epaulettes. The shoulder epaulettes also had two prongs per side, not one. A three prong version exists, for wear on the old (often star vented) covers. The biggest tell on these is the excess metal from the lower anchor fluke to the globe, which would have been snipped off prior to passing an inspection. I've probably owned 20 or so of these over the years. Fairly common bird

In short, it depends on your take of the word 'original'. I haven't seen any solid proof that these with the excess were period worn at all

Many thanks for this detailed explanation.

Here's a guy doing it right. He sells 2 variations of collar disks on eBay, only $25 a pair, and the rears are even marked REPRO so there's no one using his product to scam

$_57.JPG

Capture.JPG

teufelhunde.ret

Here's a guy doing it right. He sells 2 variations of collar disks on eBay, only $25 a pair, and the rears are even marked REPRO so there's no one using his product to scam

... Amen

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I just find this white helmet with EGA.

It's dated 1942 inside but I'm not sure if this EGA is original ...

What do you think ?

Thanks.

Best regards.

post-67345-0-58588300-1424467909.jpg

post-67345-0-57541200-1424467912.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
easterneagle87

Saw this in a local antique shop yesterday. Large brass EGA. Next to Army eagle shako for size reference. I couldn't get to it, but looks like there are two screw posts on the reverse. Real or fake? opinions.

post-9131-0-70292100-1443641361.jpg

Bannerman stock perhaps? Although someone has gone and detached the lower anchor fluke from the globe. Looks the same as the one I have. The originals had finer details and there was a space in the eagles beak. I also believe the latitude lines were curved towards the poles.

Yep sorry a fake. Study the original posted above for the subtle differences. Kevin

Just asking because I am curious...If it is a Bannerman restrike, would it truly be considered a fake? While it is not original, I have heard the Bannerman restrike mentioned often and believe some people collect these because they cannot find an original. Wouldn't a fake be a fake but a Bannerman restrike be different?

...Kat