Fantasy, Repro, & Counterfeit EGA Reference Thread

cbuehler

• 4 months later...
teufelhunde.ret

Someone shelled out $647 bucks for these phony Marine Officer Fatigue Cap ornaments. A fool and his money.....

$(KGrHqZHJEMFGT,8QmLwBRs2pMG6)Q~~60_58.jpg

$T2eC16VHJHQFFhuYDyHWBRs2p,CqoQ~~60_58.jpg

OMG, what kind of contraption is that? I guess this is what is bound to happen when certain collectibles like EGAs become too expensive.

CB

teufelhunde.ret

The oringinals were on cloth - just globe & eagle, the anchor was in gold bullion. Worn 1876-81. But nothing like this rig...

vintageproductions

Someone got very creative with a civilian cruise ship line background and a partial EGA

Schnicklfritz

Wasn't this "rig" on ebay a year back?

There was an original that surfaced from an estate a year or so ago on an Ebay auction. It was just the anchor on the cloth background. If I'm not mistaken, an eagle and globe was also on Ebay prior to the anchor.

This is why I think this forum is great. Until just now, I would have thought something like this was totally fake-but now I know. So the questions is does anyone here have a real one to share for comparison?

Hello

Please take a look at page 8-10

http://www.scribd.com/doc/138849131/The-Eagle-Globe-and-Anchor-1868-1968

HAVE FUN
Michael

Thanks for the reference!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Definitely need better photos, but I still say that the bulges descending from the anchor shanks look like casting slag. Particularly visible in phot 3, the dark drips below the shanks. Joe *************** reproduces this exact style of EGA and he casts them with the seam being the underside of the anchor shank.

Cheers, Bill

http://www.1903.com/WWI-USMC-EGA-Officer-Collar-Bronze-p196.html

Here are reproduction EGAs.....note the slag descending from the anchor shaft. Also note the style of c catch which is identical to the pair on eBay. Here are a set of legits from one of my uniforms. Notice the style of c catch on these. Compare it with the catch on the eBay and repro website above. Cheers, Bill

post-27187-0-95461700-1387657574.jpg

These pair of EGS's are lost-wax castings not die struck originals. The makers never bothered to clean up the casting flaws. The pieces look like melted wax which they were before casting in metal. You can see the flaws in this enlarged section.

Dick

post-9487-0-17441100-1387730987.jpg

it's about to be moved back, and then merged with the EGA repro thread when the auction ends

It was moved to the EGA forum to generate more conversation, being EGA's

And those close-ups really help see the slag detailing on the edges. They don't seem too bad from afar and blurry, makes me wonder if it was intentional, though judging by his other auctions he's not a dealer, so probably not. Has anyone made contact with him about this yet?

• 2 weeks later...

This came with a group of stuff on eBay this past year. It was a mixed lot and this was in there. .....any way, I set it aside assuming it is reproduction.

See Prongs on back

I haven't seen one like it and am assuming it is fake / fantasy / repro. Looking for opinions to confirm my suspicion on way or the other. If confirmed repro, then will mods post in the appropriate section.

Here it is:

post-5056-0-36177700-1388851758.jpg

post-5056-0-54159500-1388851915.jpg

Definitely repro. I actually won that originally, or one similar, over the past year and returned it. There was no rear image on the auction, it was mislisted and the price was right

Found it very interesting to have had prongs attached instead of a post. If I recall, it was lead