509th PIB Renactment in Southern France

dogface44

Great work ! :thumbsup:

I've seen a reenactor in Belgium running around like you guys , French beret with an insignia on it ( i don't recall the name ) .

And the US flag on the left arm.

I asked him the story on the US flag, and he told me this : Before they jumped into southern France, the division decided to take off their unit patches, so the guys decided to put the arm flag in place , could this be correct ?

US Victory Museum

Your event appears to be a lot of fun, and as much as I enjoyed looking at the subject matter of the photographs, I was even more favorably

impressed by the overall quality of your photos. What type of camera did you use?

Amazing photos. Why is it that when I see re-enactment photos taken in Europe, you mostly see younger, fitter people? I swear that in the US, as many as 1/3 of all re-enactors are “morbidly obese” or way too old to have served. I just don’t see the same ratio in event photos from the EU.

Hello,

The "White cap" is simply a handkerchief.

Easy Red: 509th didnt have a unit shoulder patch (except for 5th army patch with "parachute" tab on Class A's.

The cut-out oilcloth armband was standard for 517th and 509th.

The French farmer's beret was pretty common among troopers in Southern France, but I have never seen a period pic

in Belgium with such a beret.

Amazing photos. Why is it that when I see re-enactment photos taken in Europe, you mostly see younger, fitter people? I swear that in the US, as many as 1/3 of all re-enactors are “morbidly obese” or way too old to have served. I just don’t see the same ratio in event photos from the EU.

I quite oftenly think the same, except i think the US scale is even worse than that, probably 6,7/10 i reckon

Awesome pictures! :thumbsup: I think French Reenactors are kinda lucky, they live right there in the middle of history, and these poor guys in Southern France! :w00t: I've been to only one Event in France, with this group http://www.clvma95idus.info/ 95th ID Reenactor group, more of a vehicle group, and went on about a 2 hour Convoy through the French countryside with them, people would come out of thier houses waving, smiling! I live in Germany, also sort of in the middle of history, I don't think the Germans would react very positve about it.

These Swiss guys, and one German did some "Stateside" USMC training, hard to find jungle conditions in Switzerland. ;) Three are over 40, the others real young, I don't know how they do it, keeping slim, self-discipline(?), I act as thier Photographer, I'm a bit chunky, and it is HARD keeping up with them running through the woods, and I don't have any combat gear on, just my digital camera! But they'll grow old too someday. :lol:

And to keep everybody happy, you also see overweight Reenactors over here too.

usmc.jpg