Displaying an overseas cap

Compton

Hi, I have an overseas cap and I don't know how to display it well, I don't want to use a plastic head or anything. The thing is I haven't got much room to display my collection and well if I'd use a head there wouldn't be anymore room, don't like framing it either or maybe somekind of stand? Any ideas anyone? :)

Hi, I have an overseas cap and I don't know how to display it well, I don't want to use a plastic head or anything. The thing is I haven't got much room to display my collection and well if I'd use a head there wouldn't be anymore room, don't like framing it either or maybe somekind of stand? Any ideas anyone? :)

I've always had good success using rolled up paper (hot dog shaped) before I converted to head forms. Jack

You can take the wire hangers you get from the drycleaner and fold the ends in and up to make a holder for the hat, and then you can hang each hanger in a string from top to bottom to make a floor-to-ceiling display of o/s hats

Captainofthe7th

I stuff about one page of newspaper, rolled up along the top of the cap and then mount it on a wine glass (a cheap one from the dollar store or something).

DSCF2203.jpg

You can see them on the top right shelf.

Rob

I stuff about one page of newspaper, rolled up along the top of the cap and then mount it on a wine glass (a cheap one from the dollar store or something).

Rob

Nice! I am going to try that out!

Or use three cardboard rolls from toilet paper and stick those together with tape.

You can even "fold" the top roll to make it look better.

Erwin

I made these display stands sometime back and sold them on eBay however, they weren't really a hot seller so, I discontinued them. These worked great but the $8.00 price tag was seen as too great of an investment for a low value Garrison(Overseas) Cap.

I would not suggest newspaper as a stuffing, newsprint has an acid in it that can rush deterioration of the leather and fabric. I'd suggest acid free tissue as a stuffing. It's cheap and available at: http://thelinenlady.com/acidfreetissuesale.htm It's $8.95 for 25 sheets and will usually use two sheets per cap so that's enough to display 12 caps safely.

post_1726_1221490621.jpg

post_1726_1221490629.jpg

I made these display stands sometime back and sold them on eBay however, they weren't really a hot seller so, I discontinued them. These worked great but the $8.00 price tag was seen as too great of an investment for a low value Garrison(Overseas) Cap.

I would not suggest newspaper as a stuffing, newsprint has an acid in it that can rush deterioration of the leather and fabric. I'd suggest acid free tissue as a stuffing. It's cheap and available at: http://thelinenlady.com/acidfreetissuesale.htm It's $8.95 for 25 sheets and will usually use two sheets per cap so that's enough to display 12 caps safely.

Cool stands Bugme! How hard are these to make?

Cool stands Bugme! How hard are these to make?

You can buy similar parts as I used at Hobby Lobby. However, instead of just putting the piece of wood on top the base, I used a router on the base to cut a slot so the top piece would set firmly inside the base once it was glued. Took me about 10 minutes to make one once I decided what way would work best.

You can buy similar parts as I used at Hobby Lobby. However, instead of just putting the piece of wood on top the base, I used a router on the base to cut a slot so the top piece would set firmly inside the base once it was glued. Took me about 10 minutes to make one once I decided what way would work best.

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of that.

DSCF2203.jpg

Rob

You're too young for wine glasses!

G

Gunney Chris

Thats a nice idea, hmm off to the DIY store for some wood lol..