WHAT IS IT? NAVY SUB HUNTER SQUADRON PATCH

bigdaddy

I wish I knew, but I agree, that patch is bada$$!!!

-Ski

Ski, there is one that you don't know! I did not think it was possible! :lol: If you don't know then we may never know!....Kat

I dunno if this will help or not.....

The plane depicted LOOKS like a Grumman F8F - Prop job, bubble canopy, center fuel tank & landing hook. However, the only two squadron refs I can find are VF 18 & 19. Neither had that patch.

The "exclaimation" coming from the sub looks to be a national insignia of some kind. Though it matches none that I have been able to find.

The F8F was sold to France & Great Britain. The French used them in Indochina, but I don't think the North Viet Nam Navy had subs.

Anyway - that's all I can come up with - and it ain't much!

I dunno if this will help or not.....

The plane depicted LOOKS like a Grumman F8F - Prop job, bubble canopy, center fuel tank & landing hook. However, the only two squadron refs I can find are VF 18 & 19. Neither had that patch.

The "exclaimation" coming from the sub looks to be a national insignia of some kind. Though it matches none that I have been able to find.

The F8F was sold to France & Great Britain. The French used them in Indochina, but I don't think the North Viet Nam Navy had subs.

Anyway - that's all I can come up with - and it ain't much!

I would bet money it is from the Korean War ear. It is a little oversized and it just has that feel to it from me. As for the national insignia it is the US star device used on the wings of our planes. I wish I could send high rez photos on the forum so you guys could really see it

Nice patch - don't know what unit, but, nice patch ! As far as the aircraft on the patch goes: Given it's appearance, the timeline (early to mid 1950's) and type mission (sub killer) I'd make a small wager that it's an AD-4 Skyraider, the AD-4N to be exact. The "N" model were the AD-4's modified to perform the sub killing mission, as the patch depicts. Not sub hunting though - that was a different AD-4 !

There were numerous AD-4N squadrons that performed sub killer missions in conjunction with their more familar attack role, so odds are it is a Skyraider depicted.

Hope that helps in narrowing down the search.

Patch is a VA-3E, later designated VC-23. They flying Avengers. Had seen it some times back on the web.Will see if I can found the link.

Patch is a VA-3E, later designated VC-23. They flying Avengers. Had seen it some times back on the web.Will see if I can found the link.

Thanks Franky, I was going nuts trying to find it

Bigdaddy

A minor correction regarding my earlier post: VC-23 never even flew Skyraiders. (I really should stick with USAF aircraft)

They did however fly the TBM-3 Avenger during the late 40's and through the Korean War. By then they were designated VS-23.

Here is a moth devoured example of the same patch.

post-1949-1251322550.jpg