WW2 Service Dress collar emblem discussion

SARGE

teufelhunde.ret
here's a dress version I picked up in Raleigh. any solid dating yet?

Tim, my own feeling is these are likely of pre WW2 production (open ring & full half globe). When I see these with zinc rollers I simply presume there original rollers were lost or they were new old stock that were distributed during the war and equiped with the zinc rollers. s/f Darrell

• 2 years later...

thanks teulfelhunde.ret. Another question.... did they ever make any EGA official issues out of plastic (plastic ega with metal screw post and nut? If so, what eras did they exist in? Thanks.

Sammy T.

economy plastic...late in WWII brass waqs put on the restricted materials list and EGAs were made in plastic with zinc screw posts, and also in lead...these were often only worn until the Marine found a brass substitute...I'd say 1944-45...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=7551

Thanks for the info and link Brig. You saved me from throwing this one (pictured below) out. I just bought this "pair" today for $8. As you can see one is metal and the other is the plastic one. I didn't examine them as thoroughly as I should have when I bought them and when I got home and found the one to be plastic I actually cracked the top part of the anchor where it meets the globe, partly in frustration. Thanks for schooling me on this and for saving this from the trash.

Sammy T.

post-12695-1301172716.jpg

post-12695-1301172723.jpg

post-12695-1301172729.jpg

• 1 month later...
usmcaviator

Not that I have found. Open anchors are a bit harder to find, but not by much The open anchor in the 37 patterns is simply a stylistic variation in my opinion. It very well may have been a small conservation effort by the maker during wartime, or not done as much because it is an intricate detail on a rather simple object. I have seen some very thin, mis-stamped, broken, and mis-shapen rings.

Mike

teufelhunde.ret
Not that I have found. Open anchors are a bit harder to find, but not by much The open anchor in the 37 patterns is simply a stylistic variation in my opinion.

Ditto, there has been discussion of pre war - war time - post war, open and closed anchor rings in the past and these threads reside the EGA ref. sec.. There has been nothing discovered to date that would positively indicate a specification requiring an open ring stock.