us navy berthing compartments

henry2

my dad and i along with a freind of mine had a chance to tour a modern us navy ship in texas for it had made a port call there and i took my dad out there for to take a look at the ship ..

i turned around to say something a friend that had came along and my dad was up the ship walk way and was on the ship quaterdeck asking for a tour and they give him one after he took out his ww2 discharge papers for the navy ..i thought it was funny for when i caught up with him he was saluteing the color and asking premisson to come aboard ..the navy chief came up he was the one that give us the tour around the ship

they give us a tour and showed us diff places on the ships that was open to us that they would let us see we tour around the bridge and other areas and we got to the crew berthing and that when my dad ask the how could sleep on a bunk like that was hard and get a good night sleep ..

for he was telling the guy about there bunks on the tin can that he rode doing the war ..

he said the best night sleep he ever got was in that bunk for it had string typle hooks that held up the mattress panel .. that you could take two of them in diff places of the bed panel and made it like a interspring mattress he said..he also said that there locks where on the floor and and everthing was folded up and went into the lock and they said that everything that needed was in the locker for outsea or in port ..

we got to eat in the crews mess and it was not bad meal in crew mess ..

when we left they give him a ship hat and coin and navy vet leaveing over the loud speaker on the quaterdeck ..the ship hat and coin are with when he was buried in july of 2003

how does the navy berthing compactments compare to ww2 and today modern navy ships

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I have noted a variety of different berthing depending on the type of vessel in question.

This weekend I will try to get some picks for you of the berthing on LCI(L)-713 when I go out to work on her.

Here is one for the time being http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a311/Skytroop/Berthing.jpg

Sam

I know it's been a while on this thread. But, since I am new I thought I would share a photo of a berthing compartment on our USS Slater (DE-766) here in Albany, NY

post-45001-1306874717.jpg

Even better than that! Here are a couple of links that will take you directly to the panoramics of the berthing areas on board! You can pan and zoom! We just had 2 crews of 30 and 40 that spent a week each sleeping in them! They are still in use! I had to wash all the "fart sacks" (mattress covers).

forward berthing

http://www.ussslater.org/tour/decks/platfr.../panoramic.html

mess berthing

http://www.ussslater.org/tour/decks/platfr.../panoramic.html