• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this is ostensibly a post on US-issued Mk. I helmets, here are a few examples.

The first is a 6th Division helmet owned by forum member miken. I hope it's OK to use it, but I wanted to show examples of War Office Pattern helmets used by the AEF.

post-270-1251233454.jpg

I had limited time to take pictures last night, and I will try to add more as time allows, so here are a few pictures of Mk. I helmets from my own collection.

26th Division xxx Machine Gun Battalion.

post-270-1251233735.jpg

I found this sitting in a .txt file on my hard drive, and I'm not quite sure where it's from. If I'm swiping your work, I apologize.

This is a (partial) list of Mk. I steel suppliers and helmet manufacturers. You will find various combinations of these letters, along with a number, stamped on the underside of the rim. Sometimes you will find codes for both the steel supplier and the manufacturer, and sometimes it will only be the steel supplier. When both are present, they are usually separated by a stamped horizontal line with the manufacturer on top and the supplier and batch number below.

Steel Suppliers:

FS Thomas Firth and Sons Sept. 1915 – 1919

HS Hadfields Ltd. Jan. 1916 – 1919

BS W Beardmore & Co. Ltd. Jan. 1916 – 1919

MS Miris Steel Co. Ltd mrt 1916 – 1917

A Edgar Allen and Co. Ltd 1916 – 1918

F Thomas Firth and Sons 1916 – 1918

O Samuel Osborne & Co Ltd. 1916 – 1918

V Vickers Ltd 1916 – 1917

B Bury's & Co. 1916 – 1918

Helmet Manufacturers:

D James Dixon & Sons Dec. 1915

HW Hutton & Sons Dec. 1915

HH Harrison Bros. & Howson Ltd. Dec. 1915

M J&J Maxfield & sons Dec. 1915

R John Round & Sons 1916

V W&E Viener Dec. 1915

• 2 years later...

Hi,

that is the best collection of Brodies i have seen in a long while, thanks for showing them, they are getting harder to find now even in england. As most are in collections or hid away in attics, and Gunbarrel, nice British made helmet you have there.

dave.

M1917..US made. Re-painted blue for post-war Police Dept use.

post-8022-1325850732.jpgpost-8022-1325850744.jpg

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Thanks for posting this topic. I know this is a US based forum, but I collect British Kit as well and love to see this. I'd love to find a Mk.I Tin Hat from the Great War one of these days.

Thanks

Mark

Last of the famous Tomcat Plane Captains.

U.S. Navy 1989-1993

VF-302 Fighting Stallions, NAS Miramar, San Diego, So. Cal. 1990-1993DSCN0808.jpg

Thanks for posting this topic. I know this is a US based forum, but I collect British Kit as well and love to see this. I'd love to find a Mk.I Tin Hat from the Great War one of these days.

Thanks

Mark

Many of them were used by the US in WWI and some remained in service into the WWII era as conversions to the M1917A1. So they are not too hard to find, actually there is a slight premium for examples in the original british paint without any AEF related markings.

RC

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.