THE HOLY GRAIL OF MARINE CORPS ENLISTED COVER EMBLEMS

teufelhunde.ret

there was one on eBay a few months back, same guy we bought the China collar emblems from. he sold it almost instantly for 402 bucks, ending the auction early

jeremiahcable

I think the last one that ran through all the way on it's auction ended at 800 something. I wasn't aware that H&H was making marked enlisted birds this early? That's a new one on me. I do have a set of officer collar birds in this pattern with markings but I've never seen legit enlisted ones. This should prove very interesting to watch.

Jeremiah

according to the box they use today, they've been making insignia since 1926

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

A rare bird! And a beauty too.Tthanks for posting the link. This one will be most interesting to watch. The closing price should reflect the effect of today's economy on the hobby. Bob

Gentlemen I need schooling on this one. What does it say on the anchor? "OROID?" What does it mean? Time to look through the cushion covers for spare change...... :thumbsup:

Gentlemen I need schooling on this one. What does it say on the anchor? "OROID?" What does it mean?

If a Marine sailed on a ship in either the Northern or Southern Hemisphere, he had a "Hem-oroid" on his hat badge. If he sailed on a ship that straddled the Equator, he was known as a "oroid", and as such, his hat emblem was designated. :thumbsup:

teufelhunde.ret
Gentlemen I need schooling on this one. What does it say on the anchor? "OROID?" What does it mean?

"Oroid" is a word which came into use in the early 1800's. It is a reference to the making and use of "artificial gold". The use of the word was largely gone by the turn of the century. Why H&H started and quickly discontinued this hallmark in the 30's remains a mystery...

Oroid is a 19th century term used by jewelry manufacturers for Aluminum bronzes which are most valued for their ease of engraving, higher strength and corrosion resistance as compared to other bronze alloys. These alloys are tarnish-resistant and show low rates of corrosion in atmospheric conditions, low oxidation rates at high temperatures, and low reactivity with sulfurous compounds and other exhaust products of combustion. They are also resistant to corrosion in sea water. Aluminum bronzes' resistance to corrosion rests in the aluminum component of the alloys, which reacts with atmospheric oxygen to form a thin, tough surface layer of alumina (aluminum oxide) which acts as a barrier to corrosion of the copper-rich alloy. The addition of tin can improve corrosion resistance. A great material for EGA's which are subjected to all of the conditions listed above.

Dick

williamsmilitaryrelics

I think this one will make my point about the way to list something... one rare item at the time... and you will get good money even in this bad economy, collectors are like smokers, they will skip lunch but will buy their pack no matter what... :lol: