Paratrooper Leg bag

vonrall

This came from a local estate. Measures about 26-28 high depending how you do it. Looks like a paratrooper leg bag but the leather straps and other detaails are different from the ones I can find pictures of . Any ideas? Can't find any markings except numbers inside the grommets.

post-4077-1251057916.jpg

Definitely a leg bag, judging by the harness-material foot loop and the quick-releasable leg straps (here in the rather unusual leather...).

Are the studs on the flap "Neweys" like you see on typical British 1937-pattern webbing pouches? Can you give us close-upa of the various fittings please?

Cheers,

Glen.

Closeups, The clips have a serial number marked inside. Other collecters have now told me this is a British made leg bag.

post-4077-1251220260.jpg

The material colour of the body and the studs say British-made, but it isn't a standard British Leg Bag. Nor does it look like a US-made variant, not in those materials and with those details.

Can you do a close up of one of the pointed D-loops on the top of the bag please? Any marings on them?

Also, does the white harness material just have a black line running through it, or is it mixed black/red threads?

Cheers,

Glen.

d ring

I looked this over several times now since it first posted. My initial thoughts were maybe it was the extremely elusive US version. I am starting to think that it maybe a British "prototype" based on the lack of a foot cup, no other "acceptance" markings and the odd combination of materials used versus known production models. I will try to post pictures of a British made/US Normandy used one later to show some of those details.

One question Von...You said it came from an estate sale. Was that in the US or Europe?

Thanks,

Jake Powers

I looked this over several times now since it first posted. My initial thoughts were maybe it was the extremely elusive US version. I am starting to think that it maybe a British "prototype" based on the lack of a foot cup, no other "acceptance" markings and the odd combination of materials used versus known production models. I will try to post pictures of a British made/US Normandy used one later to show some of those details.

One question Von...You said it came from an estate sale. Was that in the US or Europe?

Thanks,

Jake Powers

Right from a local attic here in Connecticut A fellow who had collected war stuff a kid to play with , given to him by local vets in the 50s. Been in storage since then and the house was being cleaned out and this was mixed in with a box of WW2 uniforms and gear. No history other then that. I thought it was a duffle bag of some sort at first til I got home and started looking at everything more carefully. The metal loops struck me as for a parachute so I worked forward from that clue.

Hello All,

I have also spent a while looking at the images, and here are my conclusions.

The looks like a genuine WWII modification, rigger modified. Now whether or not it was used by the British or the US, we will probably never know.

Now with regards to the make up of the bag. I would say this is NOT a prototype but a modified version, because they have taken the leather and straps from an already existing leg bag, the leg straps are of the early leather types seen on the early pattern.

I do not know if anybody has also noticed the bag is actually made up of one (maybe two) early X-type inner parachute bags, with the white webbing around the outside and d rings etc...

A nice original piece, but unfortunately will probably never know if it had a specific use...

Regards Bruce

Bruce, Thanks!

:)

Hello All,

I have also spent a while looking at the images, and here are my conclusions.

The looks like a genuine WWII modification, rigger modified. Now whether or not it was used by the British or the US, we will probably never know.

Now with regards to the make up of the bag. I would say this is NOT a prototype but a modified version, because they have taken the leather and straps from an already existing leg bag, the leg straps are of the early leather types seen on the early pattern.

I do not know if anybody has also noticed the bag is actually made up of one (maybe two) early X-type inner parachute bags, with the white webbing around the outside and d rings etc...

A nice original piece, but unfortunately will probably never know if it had a specific use...

Regards Bruce

Fantastic find that you have illustrated. I collect mostly Commonwealth kit and am on this forum for the obscure items that I also need information on for my US collection. The bag you have on eBay and which is being spoken about is illustrated on page 29 of "D-Day Paratroopers" by John Bouchery. This is the volume that covers French, Canadian and British Paratroopers. It is a specially modified leg bag that was used for carrying special equipment. The caption suggests possibly radios or explosives. The one that is in the book was owned by SAS Sergent Chappelle. It is from the Bouchery collection.

Dwayne