USMF's Oldest Thread: USMC & US Navy WWII camo ponchos

Bob Hudson

Any thoughts on the poncho camo rain hat? Seems to be similar in material to the poncho I have and has nice old smell to it. Similar in design to the old black rubber rain hats. Passed on two nice khaki sea bags painted with 4th MARDIV Markings and island markings. According to seller this came out of one of the sea bags he was selling.

Picked this up over the weekend. Similar to the black ones. Turned down a couple of WWII 4th MARDIV painted sea bags to buy this. Has a nice old musty smell. According to seller found in one of seabags. Maybe rigger made item? Posted in old topic on WWII Ponchos no comments.

post-5332-0-59089500-1353464454.jpgpost-5332-0-83946300-1353464487.jpgpost-5332-0-88193700-1353464509.jpgpost-5332-0-88354100-1353464531.jpg

Wow!...very cool!...is it reversible to brown camo or can you see the brown camo under the inside sweatband?....i have no idea if its rigger or factory i just really appreciate WWII frogskin camo!....mike

craig_pickrall

I have a P41 uniform made from poncho material. I'm pretty sure my uniform dates to WW2. I have 2 of the hats dated WW2 made in OD green. I think the black ones date to WW1. The hats I have were made under contract and are issue items.

Nice hat you have, congratulations.

Corpsmancollector

Very nice item, quite unusual. I have seen a set of utilities made from poncho material, must have gotten awfully hot wearing one of those!

Bob; Is it fair to say post-WWII in that case? Korea/Vietnam era?

Thanks for posting,

Will

I have a P41 uniform made from poncho material. I'm pretty sure my uniform dates to WW2. I have 2 of the hats dated WW2 made in OD green. I think the black ones date to WW1. The hats I have were made under contract and are issue items.

Nice hat you have, congratulations.

Thanks for the comments. I really like it and passed on a couple of nice painted sea bags. But, this was too nice.

Very nice item, quite unusual. I have seen a set of utilities made from poncho material, must have gotten awfully hot wearing one of those!

Bob; Is it fair to say post-WWII in that case? Korea/Vietnam era?

Thanks for posting,

Will

Thanks Will Being a former corpsman I love the old WWII stuff and theater made items. Heat stress was always a concern and this hat is not ventilated.

• 2 years later...
Bellumbill

Great topic - As far as poncho wear in the PTO my thought has always been if you are fighting on some roasting hot pacific island and it rains you would welcome it - why wear a poncho?

I recall years ago in collecting you almost never saw the USMC marked ponchos - the first several I ever found and bought were USN marked and it led to a theory that because the marines were part of the navy they were all issued USN marked ponchos. Well, today we know that is not true and its funny that USN marked ponchos are considered more rare!

Very best

Bill K.

Common to find the USN marked ponchos in my opinion and they seem to bring less than the USMC ones around here.

I have a USN one that came in a Korea era officers group and I believe the one in my Navy Corpsmans group who was with the Raiders is actually unmarked.

Bob Hudson

Hi,

Please, someone could tell me what it means the codings that are in my poncho?

Ricardo.

The only difference between the USN and USMC versions is the stamped label. Yours has a US Navy contract number for very early 1945.

If you watched the HBO series THE PACIFIC you saw how these ponchos were an important shelter for Marines on the front lines during intense tropical rains that were anything but refreshing.

In one scene a Marine sees a nice new poncho covering some ammo and swaps it for the leaky one he's wearing. When the Japanese attack, the wet mortar ammo misfired.

• 1 year later...

If you read Guadalcanal Diary, author Richard Tregaskis' first-hand account of the Marine Corps' early days of fighting on the Pacific Island, you will find several references to the lowly poncho's role as a shelter from the elements. These WWII USMC ponchos can still be found today, in very decent condition and as someone who has tried all sorts of rain/foul weather gear during his sailing days, I must say these things are very well made. And they are very large, so you really could curl up under one and have lots of protection. They did not have a hood, but the collar could be snapped tightly. The ponchos were reversible, with green and tan sides:

Bringing this one back up to the top; it is likely the oldest thread on the forum, having been posted 10 years ago today! Here's to another 10!

For Collectors - By Collectors. We all learn by sharing our experiences and knowledge, and the forum has been a leader in that respect by providing a civil place to chat.

RC

Bringing this one back up to the top; it is likely the oldest thread on the forum, having been posted 10 years ago today! Here's to another 10!

For Collectors - By Collectors. We all learn by sharing our experiences and knowledge, and the forum has been a leader in that respect by providing a civil place to chat.

RC

Wow! I was wondering what posts from then might still be in the archives (we lost some of the early archives when we transferred to a new server maybe 9 years ago.

I don't think I've found one of those ponchos since 2016.

1stpost.jpg

Wow! I was wondering what posts from then might still be in the archives (we lost some of the early archives when we transferred to a new server maybe 9 years ago.

I don't think I've found one of those ponchos since 2016.

attachicon.gif1stpost.jpg

I used to see those ponchos then, now I wish I'd picked up all the variations when they were seemingly all over! :)

• 6 years later...
On 6/30/2015 at 8:05 PM, Bellumbill said:

Great topic - As far as poncho wear in the PTO my thought has always been if you are fighting on some roasting hot pacific island and it rains you would welcome it - why wear a poncho?

I recall years ago in collecting you almost never saw the USMC marked ponchos - the first several I ever found and bought were USN marked and it led to a theory that because the marines were part of the navy they were all issued USN marked ponchos. Well, today we know that is not true and its funny that USN marked ponchos are considered more rare!

Very best

Bill K.

....I know, old thread.....saw the comment about USN ponchos being rare? This is one I picked up off EBay a couple summers ago. Occasionally use it over a ground sheet for shooting matches.

20220615_061534.jpg

I also have one marked very much like the one posted above, same USN contract # and same red paint. I believe this to be from 14th Marines, 1st Battalion, A battery. I don’t know what the 406 denotes, maybe gun #? It is named to a Rogers, still trying to find anything on the name. 

4A3179D6-B8EA-45C1-97C5-54F161199C82.jpeg.8ca113d7f908a428ff208e6a02c1203b.jpeg

1BF326AE-8EC3-4199-9457-EAA6213147CC.jpeg

28971272-25F1-43C6-8217-43AB7E972FB1.jpeg

9A168183-0EC1-440F-BE5B-D9D3610584FB.jpeg