WWII Navy Pilot WIng Minis

Brig

I'd like to show off my small collection of Naval Wings. 4 of them were waiting when I got back from Iraq. I think they're all WWII except maybe the 1st set. anybody differ, let me know please

1st set...what the heck are these things? clutchbackm two anchors crossed behind a shield. no idea what they're for. the back is marked '1/20 12K G.F.'. Got this right before I went to Baghdad at an antique store, mostly because they were cheap and gold-filled, but I have no idea what they are, or the era (?)

2nd set is a nice pair of Balfour wings I picked up last week. rear is marked 'Balfoir' and '1/20 12K G.F.'. beautiful set of wings

3rd set is a bit bigger, with the anchor more 'cut-out' but with support bars of metal. rear is unmarked.

4th set. shinier set of wingsthe rear is marked '307' and it looks like the pin fell off and was replaced backwards at one time. any opinions?

5th set. very small, pin seems longer than the wings and won't fit in the clasp anymore. unmarked. anybody know the purpose of these? I figured maybe sweetheart?

6th set. silver, very small, definately sweetheart or off of some other items, the back looks like it was glued to something at one point. maybe part of an ID bracelet? any info would be great. thanks

a few questions tossed in there, but mostly showing off thumbsup.gif

USN_Wings_Front.jpg

Your first wing is a Naval Flight Officer wing. The NFO acts as a navigator and systems/weapons operator. This insignia was authorized in 1968 to replace the Naval Aviation Observer wing.

Dennis

Brig, the top wing is for a NFO or Naval Flight Officer, these were worn by A-6 B/N's and F-4, F-14, F-18 Backseater's. The wing itself first came about in the mid-1960's and replaced the Naval Observer wing. I have never seen a mini of an NFO. Nice collection. Welcome home, Mark.

thanks guys. would there be anyway to tell the approximate age of this wing? do they still fill them with gold?

Here is a Naval Flight Officer wing on the bottom. The top wing is a Navy Aerial Navigator wing that was used from 1945 through 1947.

post-311-1178245090.jpg

Here is a WWII vintage Naval Aviation Observer wing. This style of wing was used until 1968, when it was replaced by the NFO wing.

Brig, your wing probably dates from 1968 to the late 1970s. I am not sure when insignia makers stopped using the 10K gold fill.

post-311-1178245343.jpg

I agree. the Balfour was a lucky find last week. I love the patina of it, much nicer than the vivid gold of the others

pconrad02

Guys,

If you are interested check out my site for some nice WWII Navy wings:

http://www.conradwings.com/navy.htm At one time I had all but the Navy Flight Nurse.

I don't have them any more, but the 10K Gold Balfour was a really nice piece. Also had some great WWI Navy wings

very nice wings thumbsup.gif

any idea what the '307' means on the back of the one set shown?

• 2 weeks later...

ok, I know everything I wanted about the first two sets. what about the rest? what's the '307' for if anyone knows? and what are the smaller 2, both sweetheart? thanks

• 3 years later...

Naval Flight Officer Wing...should have asked long ago, is it/was it used by the USMC?

teufelhunde.ret
Naval Flight Officer Wing...should have asked long ago, is it/was it used by the USMC?

Hey Tim, in answer to your question. The term for the "Naval Flight Officer" came about in 65 and was used to address any Naval (and USMC) aviator filing an "unrestricted" and which did not require any control knowledge of the aircraft, thus encompassing all other aircraft operational specialties. These same NFO's were also assimilated into the the career patterns which allowed them to become the Commanding Officer's of these squadron's (only in the case of unrestricted Officer's). In 68 a new wing (as shown) was designated for use and replaced the "Observers" wing, for good.

This is a good primer on the history of Naval (USMC) wings: http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP20.PDF