USMC Evening Mess Formal Dress uniforms

General Apathy

General Apathy

post-344-1178197873.jpgpost-344-1178197829.jpg

Hi All, Here is a short blue wool melton material jacket with red satin lining, all the cuff and shoulder loops are bullion finished. The button holes have not been cut through so it is impossible to button the jacket up, which is regulation that they should not be with this style jacket. There is a Marine Corp Depot of Supply label inside made out to 1st Lt. R.I. Modjeski of Baton Rouge, LA. and dated 1956. I have no details about Modjeski. Regards ( Lewis )

Greg Robinson

No doubt about it, the Marine Corps has the finest looking dress uniforms of all the services....for an officer, at least. Only the Navy comes close. I remember when I was a boy and my friend's Marine Colonel dad would dress up to go to the Marine Corps Birthday festivites. He had some sort of white dress uniform, complete with sword, he'd wear. Stunning looking uniform and I've never seen another quite like it.

• 11 months later...
usmc-collector

Hello,

purchased this unusual USMC enlisted cape, I am aware of the officers version, but this example is diferent. Any ideas for use? It seems to be maybe non-regulation item, but is labeled as USMC officers uniforms.

Thanks JAROSLAV

post-31-1208020180.jpg

Wow. I've never seen something like that!

I wonder if it could be (just a thought) something used for a crossing the equator ceremony, or something else?

Or something someone rigged up using an old officers cape as a joke, or for a play or something. It's def. the oddest thing I've seen in a long time!

Based on the gold aiguillettes I would say this might have been something used by an NCO who served under a Lt General in a position that at some point required him to attend one of more formal high level diplomatic functions. It is primarily seen in the Washington DC area.

USMC uniform regulations say this:

3003. BOATCLOAK/DRESS CAPE (See fig. 2-1.)

1. The boatcloak, made of dark blue broadcloth material lined with scarlet wool broadcloth, is an optional item which may be worn by male officers and SNCO's with evening dress and blue dress "A"/"B" uniforms for official and social functions. It will not be worn when the blue dress uniform is worn as the uniform of the day.

A new one is $600 (each is handmade) and I would guess that one like this from a NCO who was an aide is quite rare.

Thus proving I had no idea what I was talking about! LOL.

I still say it's one incredibly COOL piece of gear.

Would anyone mind if I posted a pic of this in a section of a site I am a moderator on? It's a small section and I always give credit where I got the pics from...

Leatherneck dot com, in the 'forums' section.

Thus proving I had no idea what I was talking about! LOL.

I still say it's one incredibly COOL piece of gear.

Surprised me too until I searched around this morning and found that uniform regulation.

As for the photo above: ask usmc collector for permission since it's his, not the forum's.

I have never seen or heard of this enlisted cloak.Just goes to show once again that just when you think you know it all, you can learn some new!!! And, from the Czech Republic! Thanks Jaroslav for posting. And Bob, thanks for the enlightening research! A'int this a great site!!!!

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Maybe someone can tell us about the shoulder cord. Is that considered three loops or do only the two smaller cords counts?

(3) Three loops - Aides to lieutenant generals or vice admirals.

(4) Two loops - Aides to major/brigadier generals, rear admirals, or other officers of lower grade entitled to an aide.

usmc-collector

thanks to all for their answers thumbsup.gif I was aware of USMC officers boatcloak version, but I didn't know about SNCO version. Thanks Forum Support for information. I got this cape in lot of usmc uniforms I purchased from USA recently. But seller was not aware of its origin or purpose for use. I hope we can identify this piece of gear. Jason you can of course use the my photo.

SF JAROSLAV

Thanks Jaroslav, and I've also posted your request!

One of my other Marine pals that I know ID'd it right away as an Enlisted Boat Cloak.

I'm thinkin the the 'ropes' x2 indicate a Major General, but I can't recall where I read it.

• 4 months later...

I recently found an Evening Dress uniform that had belonged to an officer who started out as an enlisted man in WWII (and was wounded in action). This came with the pants with gold stripe as well as the pants with black stripe that went with the now-obsolete white evening jacket.

This would have been worn with a red cumberband for Evening Dress B or with a white waistcoat for Evening Dress A.

mess0816.jpg

mess0816front.jpg

mess0816label.jpg

haeneltwound.jpg

I've taken a couple different threads and merged to create one thread dealing with Marine Corps formal uniforms.

usmcevening.jpg