WWII Oxygen bottles

fordmustanggt_350

fordmustanggt_350

Hey Guys,

Here is a question for you aviation guys. I came across a few of these tanks and I have not been able to ID what they came from. The only thing that I was able to find was that it was to a havey bomber. Any ideas? Almost all are dated 40-43. It says it hold 295 Cu. Inches.

Thanks,

Kevin

post-2569-1250809568.jpg

post-2569-1250809585.jpg

Looks like a portable oxygen bottle. Probably used on a large aircraft flying at high altitude, like a B-24 or a B-17. If the crew needed to walk around the aircraft and had to disconnect from the oxygen supply at their battle station, they could connect to the bottle and walk around freely.

Cobrahistorian
Looks like a portable oxygen bottle. Probably used on a large aircraft flying at high altitude, like a B-24 or a B-17. If the crew needed to walk around the aircraft and had to disconnect from the oxygen supply at their battle station, they could connect to the bottle and walk around freely.

Yep, it looks like one of a few different types of "bailout bottle". Cool finds!

Jon

Yep, the size of the and it's lack of a regulator says bail-out bottle as opposed to walk around. With the test dates of 1944 and 1954 it saw long service.

Topic related: Even in the 1990's it was not uncommon to see WW2 dated O2 and N2 bottles still in USAF service. Around the neck of the bottle they read "Army Air Force" and I remember a few that even read "Army Air Corps" - and this was in the 1980's !