Today I Met a Carlson Raider

Teutonen

I was shopping at my local commisary today, and and old gentleman started a conveersation with me. And before you go any futher, no I didn't get his name, but I will the next time I see him. I didn't want to be too pushy. He is 95 years old, tall, looks like he can still wear his uniform and has all his faculties, and carries himself like a marine. He was shopping and I was so it wasn't a long conversation. This is what I got from him. Seemed like he wanted to talk.

1) He was in WW2, Korea, and VN. He told me he was at a Marine reunion and he was wearing I guess, his uniform, and the General came over and told him he should be wearing all his ribbons and he told them there were too many (he told me 40 - but that can't be right.) Maybe it was 14, but i am pretty sure he said 40.

2) He joined Carlson's Raiders from the beginning and joined when he was 17(so age 95 would be abought right).

I told him I bet he has alot of stories and he said it was a long time ago.

He could be feeding me a line of bull, but next time I will get his name and be prepared with some questions. My knowledge of the raiders is sketchy but, I need to brush up, so I ask intelligent questions.

His wife is deceased, and all his kids are grown (of course- they are probably in their 60s)).

Anyone have any ideas on interviewing him?

Anyone have any good questions.

Thanks,

jeff

Hmmmm - If he's 95 he was born about 1914 and that would have made him about 28 in 1942. Those Raiders are well documented so his name will show up. Good luck on interviewing him.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

To me his willingness to talk should be an open door for an intreview.When I speak with veterans I normallly start out with asking some basics.When he enlisted,age,location,where he trained,rank,what his Mil skills were(radio,rifleman,scout,cook,clerk etc)his campaigns,etc.Usually this gets them rolling along and the interview will come together.Many times the vets will remeber things as they go or think of them later so follow up interviews are a must.You can tape record or video the interview as well.Having a few base questions prepered will help.Make a list of things that intrest you and form your questions from the list.You may find you have some common ground being veterans.

RON

Kurt Barickman

Ask him things like was he on the Long Patrol, Makin Raid or Bouganville. What were his thoughts about Evan Carlson, his son or Jimmy Roosevelt. Questions like this will show the veteran that you are indeed familiar with his unit and usually are more likely to talk when you can prove that you know more than the average person about his unit. Vets sometimes get frustrated when they have to explain every little thing and often "shut done." Do some online research of your own about the 2nd Raiders and this will go along ways in making it a great interview. ;)

Kurt Barickman

USMC RAIDER COLLECTOR

I think Ron and Kurt have given you some great ideas. If you get his name I can check the Raider roster for you. Good luck..

Thanks guys = good ideas. i will keep you updated. Hopefully I will run into him again soon. This time i will be prepared.

Pick up the book Do or Die Men it's a great book about the Marine Raiders on Guadalcanal. You can probably find it at Borders.

Regards,

Brian

• 10 months later...

i got this from my fathers military records. he is still alive and is able to remember small parts of it, but you can tell it very painful to discuss it.

"participated in the NEW GEORGIA CAMPAIGN and was repeatly subject to enemy air and submarine attack and shore bombardment. St..... at all times performed his assignment duties in a couragerous and highly safactory manner. while left ashore as a member of a boat crew at ENOGIA INLET, NEW GEORGIA ISLAND, ST...... served with the FIRST MARINE RAIDER REGT., performing useful and effecient boat crew and rescue duties from JULY 1943 TO 17 JULY 1943"

sgt ron