Looking for info on Beverly Craft.. any ideas??

jcastellanos4

jcastellanos4

Here are some new arrivals I found on ebay.. One 3" and one 1.5" pilot wings made by Beverly Craft of Beverly Hills CA. Does anyone have any information on this insignia and wing maker?? My Google's come up empty and I can't seem to find a collector that knows much of anything about BC.

Notice the irregular shape of the reverse of the shield.. this makes BC made wings hard to miss. And then there's the unique palm tree pattern shown on the 1.5". The pin and catch look post-war not sure.

Feel free to post pics of your jewels from Beverly..

post-5901-1250716506.jpg

jcastellanos4
Here are some new arrivals I found on ebay.. One 3" and one 1.5" pilot wings made by Beverly Craft of Beverly Hills CA. Does anyone have any information on this insignia and wing maker?? My Google's come up empty and I can't seem to find a collector that knows much of anything about BC.

Notice the irregular shape of the reverse of the shield.. this makes BC made wings hard to miss. And then there's the unique palm tree pattern shown on the 1.5". The pin and catch look post-war not sure.

Feel free to post pics of your jewels from Beverly..

post-5901-1250716563.jpg

Beverlycraft wings are nice. They seemed to be pretty active during WWII and post-WWII making insignia, patriotic jewelry and the like. I suspect the were organized in a manner similar to the Walter Lampl Co in taking advantage of the war to market military and military related jewelry. I have seen a fair amount of wings and such made by Beverlycraft. Pilot, flight surgeons, bombardier, navigator, aircrewman, gunner, the "alphabet" wings, etc.

They seem to be always in sterling, and in both pin and clutch back. Interestingly, the pin is always put on in reverse orientation than with normal wings (the catch and hinge are switched sides).

I have even seen a number of variations within ratings. For example, I have seen bombardier wings with really large oversized bombs and with small skinny bombs. These wings don't strike me as being all that rare, IMHO, they seem to fall just below NS Meyers, AMICO, and LGB in scarcity. BUT, they seem to be a bit more sought (maybe equal to the AE Co wings). Because they seem to have a very distinct striker system that tends to leave a big "divot" in the back, and the unique shoulder feathering, you can really spot these wings in a crowd.

I have a few to show off:

The pilot, a theatre-made glider pilot with a "G" made out of what I think is aircraft aluminum, and the aircrew wing.

post-1519-1250722511.jpg

post-1519-1250722519.jpg

post-1519-1250722531.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info.. nice collection!! :thumbsup:

Here is a photo of a guy wearing what I think is clearly a Beverly Craft bombardier wing. It seems to be one with the "skinny" bomb.

post-1519-1251589348.jpg