US Navy Capture of U-505 on the high seas

gwb123

Is it still true that no swastikas or weapons are displayed?

In the 1950's, there were plenty of both, but in the late 1970s or so, every artifact that had a swastika was withdrawn and all the guns disappeared, including the on-board rifles and M.P. 28 SMGs and pistols and the USN 20mms and others displayed in the area. Political correctness set the tone.

A Chicago buddy told me that the Ju87B Stuka that had hung there for decades was banished because it had a swastika marking; I beleive it went to the Experimental Aircraft Assn at Osh Kosh, but don't know if it is still there.

Your Chicago buddy is either pulling your leg or hasn't been to the museum lately.

The JU87B Stuka with it's original paint and bullet holes courtesy of the RAF still hangs from the ceiling of the central gallery, still being hotly pursued by a Spitfire Mk II that is an actual Battle of Britain vet.

I got great photos of both, but they are outside the focus of this forum.

I can't speak for what was on display during the 1950's, but there are a number of items from the U-Boat on display with their original markings, including a Third Reich naval ensign.

I don't recall seeing any small arms, but you did have a German AA gun displayed at ground level, as well as the weapons mounted on the boat.

Thanks so much for all the pictures.Things have changed a lot on that exhibit since a long ago Boy Scout trip in the early sixties.At that time it was still outside with holes cut fore and aft in the hull with covered walkways for access.At least it's inside now for better preservation.

vintageproductions

Here's my rare U-505 Kreigsmarine sailor's hat ( Hope its okay since this is a US forum)

u505.jpg

Then a copy of Galley's book autographed to my Great-Grandfather who worked on the restoration of the U-505

book.jpg

• 2 years later...
Firstsonsofthenation
Display of a Naval flier's uniform typical of the battle.

This flyers uniform was THE pilot that attacked the U-505 when it was near the surface to show the location to the surface ships.

Firstsonsofthenation
Is it still true that no swastikas or weapons are displayed?

In the 1950's, there were plenty of both, but in the late 1970s or so, every artifact that had a swastika was withdrawn and all the guns disappeared, including the on-board rifles and M.P. 28 SMGs and pistols and the USN 20mms and others displayed in the area. Political correctness set the tone.

A Chicago buddy told me that the Ju87B Stuka that had hung there for decades was banished because it had a swastika marking; I beleive it went to the Experimental Aircraft Assn at Osh Kosh, but don't know if it is still there.

The boat had guns on display at one time but during the 1968 convention in Chicago it was decided to put them all in the vault and as far as I know they never went back out. The swastika was not banned.

The stuka only went to EAA because it had fallen whil being cleaned and had exstensive damage. the only place it could be fixed at the time was EAA. It stayed there for several years and then returned. It hangs there today and has the swastika.

Firstsonsofthenation

Captain Gallery was NOT almost courtmartialed for capturing the boat and the codebooks. He was provided intelligence prior to departure and all durin the cruise and the highest levels of the navy were aware of his effort and had supported it. Gallery was NEVER threatened with courtmartial for this heroic acheivement.

• 1 month later...

Outstanding post I toured the U-505 in 1962 I was 9 years old and then it was just outside the museum. I remember thinking how small it was inside the U boat. The Science and Industry Museum is a fantastic museum. The World's Fair was going on in Seattle when my school toured and I remember talking to another student at the World's Fair via picture TV type telephone pretty high tech for 1962! :thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...
Only one member of the USN boarding party had ever been on a submarine in their career.

The U-Boat was filling with water in it's aft compartments. Water was also coming in from the hatches.

The race was on to retrieve code machines and documents.

Every member of the boarding party had assigned tasks.

However, typical of the American serviceman, two sailors found themselves diverted when they found a large opening in the floor that was pumping in sea water. It was the opening for a device known as a sea strainer. Next to the opening was a large cover. Both were well aware that it might be booby trapped, and they cautiously felt for a triggering device. Still not quite knowing what this was, they placed the cover over the gushing hole and secured it. By deviating from their specific instructions, they were later credited with stopping the source of major flooding and saving the boat.

Although it would take days to fully secure the boat, it was now in US hands.

Below, the critical sea strainer cover. Capture photo from USN via http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:U505.jpg

I had the honor of being friends with Hans Goebeler, the U-boat crewman who removed the cover from the sea strainer on the U-505. He told me he always regretted not tossing the cover into another compartment where it would not be easily found. He assumed that the boat would sink before the cover could be replaced. Of course, there was the mad rush to escape by the crewmen, himself included that caused it to be forgotten. He has since passed on, unfortunately, but he told me many stories of his service on the U-505, and stories of life in Germany at the time. He authored a book about his experiences which makes a good read, especially since I knew him. It's called 'Steel Boats, Iron Hearts'

• 1 year later...

The navy officer that went aboard the sub received the Medal of Honor and is buried at fort rosecrans cemetery in San Diego. The inventor of the bombe computer was later trie d and convicted in England for being a homosexual and then committed suicide

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have been trying to find a picture of a U-505 momento I used to have. Actually it was two items that I married together and displayed.When the U-505 display had it's grand opening , they invited crew members of the US ship that captured the U boat to a ceremony and dinner. The ones that showed up were given a small print with a depiction of the U-boat semi sinking with a old ghost old pirate like ship behind it. It was a black and white print. I had it mounted and to the back I laminated the original invitation. These 2 paper items came in a WW2 vet grouping. When they first opened they took the steel pieces that were removed from the hull for the entrance /exit holes and cut them into about 1 1/2 inch squares and stamped them U-505 and sold them in the souvenir shop early on. Over the years , I picked one of these up and had it mounted to the plaque containing the other 2 pieces . It was a great little display. Unfortunately I traded it away years ago. I will keep looking for a picture. In addition, I have seen the boat outside and in . Either way , what a great piece of history. The rest of the museum is fantastic also.

Regards, Mitch

• 6 months later...

I was fortunate to meet Hans Goebeler at a Militaria Show in Wilmington, NC in 1997 and again in 1998. We spoke at length of his service. He signed 2 pictures and a coffee mug for me. I also purchased his book.

Memories - My dad took me to tour her in NYC when she was open to the public on the way to Chicago. I was 7 and remember it clearly. A great historical display. Bobgee

Brilliant post, should be flagged for keeping it alive. Have a couple autographed photos from one of the U505 crew. Can't recall his name right now. He used to attend gun shows with his wife (who looked young enough to be his daughter). I believe he has passed on now.

Thank you for the compliment. The topic is pinned, which should help it from being deleted, and it should show at the top of the listing for Museum threads.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Gil. I have seen the 505 I think twice now. First time I was about 10 or 12 or so, and WOW, what a thrill THAT was after having been reading about u boats, the Battle of the Atlantic, etc. same with the Spit and the JU87.

It's a nice tribute to the Navy and what they did, as well as to the technological marvels that subs are.

MW

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I can not tell you the web site for sure, perhaps on the science and industry museum's site or maybe it was at the museum itself but there are photos of the ship as it was being moved across lakeshore drive to the museum site. I toured it about 1963-64 when it was an outside display. tried to take my boys thru it about 10 years ago but the line was long enough that day that the museum would close before we could start the tour. worth the time and the extra charge.

I've seen those photos Mike... that was quite the moving job. At the museum, they also had photos of moving the U Boat inside and into it's current "bunker".

Tickets still moved fast for the interior tour when I was there. I decided to skip it as I'd been on the one in Germany, but when I changed my mind and tried to go back about 10am on a Saturday, they were sold out.

• 1 year later...

I also had the pleasure of meeting Hans Goebeler on several different occasions, Hans use to be a regular on the Militaria circuit.

He was an NCO of the control room tasked with scuttling the U-505 prior to being captured.

Hans was a man with outstanding Integrity, his account of the events were always congruent, but deeply regretted having not sunk the U-505 and having the enigma machine fail into enemy hands.

in Frieden ruhen

I also had the pleasure of meeting Hans Goebeler on several different occasions, Hans use to be a regular on the Militaria circuit.

He was an NCO of the control room tasked with scuttling the U-505 prior to being captured.

Hans was a man with outstanding Integrity, his account of the events were always congruent, but deeply regretted having not sunk the U-505 and having the enigma machine fail into enemy hands.

in Frieden ruhen

That had to be an interesting conversation.

I believe there is footage of Adm. Gallery and the captain of the U-Boat meeting in Chicago after it had first been restored and reminiscing about the days it all happened.

Hans never tried to Embellish his account of the events nor did he make any Outrageous claims.

Its a Shame, Shark Hunters have tried to dismiss his account of the events which led up to the capture of the 505. Doesn't seem like a very Honorable thing to do.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great post. I toured the U-505 often as a kid in the 1980s since I live in Chicago. I remember looking out the periscope and seeing Lake Shore Drive. The U-505 was still outside. I met Hans Goebeler at a military show in Chicago around 1998. I have a post card of the U-505 and his signature. The USN sailor credited to re-installing the strainer was Zenon Lukosius and I believe he lived on the southeast side of Chicago.

I used to have a gray wax mold of the U-505 that the Museum of Science & Industry used to sell. I was fascinated by the machine that made the wax mold. The wax mold came out very hot and you had to juggle it for a little time.