BULGE EXCERPT

STALAGLUFT1

Here's part of a letter that a WWII veteran sent me detailing his experiences in WWII:

"1944 Battle of the Bulge, tour Belgium

December Christmas day cold tempt. 50 below or colder constant blast of guns screaming mimes bombings for day on end. GI's dead on the ground hands and ankles bound some bodies blown up by Germans, planes and bombs noise was ear perching frozen bodies on the ground noise so bad I had ringing in my ears I tough it would stop but never did we didn't have the cloths we needed, I killed a German to get his coat we did what we had to survive. GIs freezing to death laying on the snow for cover the Germans had white sheets for cover so they could blend with the snow we were not well equipped that was Hitler's last stand. I was glad to leave on January 1945 when that part of the war was over. Our fear wasn't the Germans but the weather because you could die with out firing a shot we went there unequipped.

There was a tank mowing down everything in sight GIs were falling to the grown like duckpins, fifteen yards away was an American jeep it was on it's side with a gas can mounted on the back I wanted to stop that tank so I crawled on my belle Germans firing at me I pretend to be dead I freed the gas can and dragged it the to the rear of the tank the guys were yelling you crazy bastard come back your going to get killed you stupid f... I was too far to turn back now I mounted the tank poured the gas in every hole I could find while being shot at I pulled out my zipo lighter and set fire to the tank when the German opened the lid stuck his head out I shot in the head and drooped two grenades in the tank I managed to escape unharmed I stopped the tank, I was to get a medal for that but when leaving the aria and Ardennes Belgium to move on no one came forward to tell high ranking officer after that I lost contact with all the men. the incident was documented but my name was not mentioned some one else took the credit."

Regards,

Brian