kammo-man

Mitchell leaf pattern camouflage

Here is also a nice photo take in 1965 (Danang).

td45310.jpg

It seems that the beret is also a Mitchell camo.

Hi there,

It looks like a rain coat cutting.

Cheers,

B

L1030990.jpg

Raincoat-2-1.jpg

Hi there,

It looks like a rain coat cutting.

Cheers,

B

L1030990.jpg

Raincoat-2-1.jpg

Strange colours somehow, is it a reproduction coat? :blink:

BTW - take care of you 1911 it does not help you w/o a magazine in it ;)

Save Your Butt - Wear A Helmet

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2012.gif

what do you think of this trousers?

mitchell camo trousers

is it something worth the money?

These pants were made from a commercial pants from Ranger brand (I think), with large hip cargo pockets to deceive collectors. It s just one of many craps from these Thai sellers (but sometime they have good stuffs)

Thanks NTS for your pix and hard work !!

Do you have photos of you digging at Carol ????

owen

Hey Kammo-Man, i'll hit you up with some more photos from Camp Carrol. These are from 2007.

P3010228.jpg

P3010222.jpg

Command bunker

P3010224.jpg

P3010229.jpg

P3010227.jpg

Allot of ammo was still littered on the grownd.

P3010226.jpg

And of curse the Mitchell pattern fabric, i saw pieces this on both Camp Carroll, Khe Sanh, Gio Linh and Con Thien.

Here's a hat from my collection that i sadly sold off. But it was most likely a reproduction, but it was still pretty neat.

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

/Swed

post-344-1281124949.jpg

Hi all

The Mitchell pattern is one of those weird patterns that started life as a tent but somehow evolved into all sorts of weird uniform items and combinations .

The USMC issued the tent sometime in the 1950s , any one know the exact date ?

A there was a need for camouflage and the govt did not have an issue uniform the troops took it into their own hands and had items made up into all sorts of weird and wonderfull items .

I have seen caps , covers , uniforms , windbreakers , packs , belts , boonie hats ,survival vests ,field jackets and even garment bags made from this robust , waterproof camouflage fabric .

owen

Hi Owen, here's a jacket I own and which I started a thread on about two weeks ago, left sleeve shows signs of a faded area around the shape and size of a 1st Cav patch, there are also marks above both front top pockets, on the shoulder loops and another unknown patch shape on the right sleeve.

Definitely USMC tent material, with salvaged interior pockets and Velcro tabs from some other M-65 jackets

Cheers Lewis

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

The Mitchell pattern has also been worn by several units in the Indonesian army (TNI), for example the KOSTRAD.

When I was over there two years ago I saw quite a few twill jackets with Mitchell pattern being worn by civilians (apparently surplus), which had a shading exactly like that of US Mitchell camo.

Judging by the photo below they might still use the pattern with a slightly different shading on modern fabric today.

post-9199-1281131517.jpg

Cheers!

- Sjef -

By God, I think the Devil s#!+$ Dutchmen. [sir W. Batten, 1667]

Actively seeking: WWII USAAF, ETO and PTO bomber crew related items.

My collection

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Here's a picture of an Indonesian jacket which (as you van see) looks like an M65, although it doesn't nearly look as nice as yours, Lewis.

post-9199-1281174525.jpg

Apparently the TNI used the pattern from the 60's until the 80's and it is now again being used in small quantities. I am not sure if they only used their own production or that they at some time in the past used US fabric.

The TNI has many different units and a lot of them wear their own special flashy camouflage.

- Sjef -

My collection

That parka may be commercial. The pattern is printed on rip-stop fabric and is not reversible. Uruguayan airborne troops also used this pattern in M65 cut. BTW where did you find that picture?

Okay, thanks. Was asking cause this jacket is in my collection. ;)

:lol:

Sorry for not giving you credits!

- Sjef -

My collection

post-344-1281124949.jpg

Hi Owen, here's a jacket I own and which I started a thread on about two weeks ago, left sleeve shows signs of a faded area around the shape and size of a 1st Cav patch, there are also marks above both front top pockets, on the shoulder loops and another unknown patch shape on the right sleeve.

Definitely USMC tent material, with salvaged interior pockets and Velcro tabs from some other M-65 jackets

Cheers Lewis

I remember trying that on. had it been a little larger I would have bought it off you (you had just got it with some other stuff) It was very nice and I have wanted one since.

I recently purchased a Mitchell camouflage cap from forum member kphfun (thanks, Kevin!) and it was unusual enough that I thought it was worth posting. Instead of the 8 point USMC style cap usually seen, this one is shaped like a German M1943 field cap:

post-265-1283304311.jpg

It reportedly came from an Army veteran who says he got it in Vietnam from a Marine.

Looking for older Virginia Military Institute items: insignia, uniforms, cadet sabers, documents, and groupings belonging to VMI alumni.

Also interested in Virginia Reserve Militia (VRM) uniforms and insignia, or other items of general Virginia interest.

The cap is very well made, obviously made by someone who knew what they were doing:

post-265-1283304459.jpg

Looking for older Virginia Military Institute items: insignia, uniforms, cadet sabers, documents, and groupings belonging to VMI alumni.

Also interested in Virginia Reserve Militia (VRM) uniforms and insignia, or other items of general Virginia interest.

It's also fully reversible, with the same degree of finish on the inside as on the outside:

post-265-1283304529.jpg

Has anyone ever seen another cap like this? Is this typical Okinawa workmanship? Any information would be appreciated.

Bill

Just picked up this set from ebay , seller said he had it made from a shelter half in 1971 by a Philippine tailor , the pants have a Talon zipper , the vest has nothing on it , love the bell bottom pants !

MITCHELLdiscosuit1.JPG

donation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Just picked up this set from ebay , seller said he had it made from a shelter half in 1971 by a Philippine tailor , the pants have a Talon zipper , the vest has nothing on it , love the bell bottom pants !

MITCHELLdiscosuit1.JPG

Those are pretty wild (man).

Almost looks like the pants have a low rise hip-hugger cut to them.

1971...Hmm.

I would almost call that set psychedelic.

Nice score.

JC

donation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

Hawk, lets see some more pics! That's freaking awesome!

The paint stripping of M1 helmets, particularly protestor helmets, is destruction of history by the very men who claim to protect it.
Always looking for gear and items linked to the following: Joe S. Tamura US Army; Ken Tamura 442nd RCT; Capt. Emerson US Army Medical Corps, Norman Albert Wells Fifth Infantry Division

donation2014.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

Well, you should already know that's a great set! Thanks anyway.

The paint stripping of M1 helmets, particularly protestor helmets, is destruction of history by the very men who claim to protect it.
Always looking for gear and items linked to the following: Joe S. Tamura US Army; Ken Tamura 442nd RCT; Capt. Emerson US Army Medical Corps, Norman Albert Wells Fifth Infantry Division

donation2014.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif