kammo-man

Mitchell leaf pattern camouflage

Hi all

The Mitchell pattern is one of those weird patterns that started life as a tent but somehow evolved into all sorts of weird uniform items and combinations .

The USMC issued the tent sometime in the 1950s , any one know the exact date ?

A there was a need for camouflage and the govt did not have an issue uniform the troops took it into their own hands and had items made up into all sorts of weird and wonderfull items .

I have seen caps , covers , uniforms , windbreakers , packs , belts , boonie hats ,survival vests ,field jackets and even garment bags made from this robust , waterproof camouflage fabric .

Most of the USMC suits I have seen come like this .....

Jacket used , trousers minty .

I have worn this before and due to the nature of the fabric it is very warm and waterproof !!

Here is a USMC style cover .

This is cut in the classic style and is used .

Moderators please link this up to any existing Mitchell topic if you feel the need .

I am sure I read one somewhere before .

owen

post-2009-1250638793.jpg

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Here is the inside of the cap .

You see the cap has a sweat band made from cotton .

These caps must have been made on a small unit level as most I have seen seen are made from numerious scraps .

I also forgot to add the helmet covers that were made from more than a couple of different fabric types .

Also you will notice the fall pattern inside .

This was later Given the Vietnamese Police who made uniforms from it .

post-2009-1250638985.jpg

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

These caps must have been made on a small unit level as most I have seen seen are made from numerious scraps .

I also forgot to add the helmet covers that were made from more than a couple of different fabric types .

I sold a sports coat on Ebay that was made from that Mitchell material too. Belonged to a Colonel and tailor was in Okinawa.

Here is a different angle on the cap .

I have a similar style hat, more like the US Army version.

It came from an early SF soldier, Lonnie Garrison, who said they had them made for their CIDG guys on Oki

I believe Bob -Vintage productions bought his collection after his death

donation2010.gif

Matt-I only bought a small portion of Lonnie's collection. Plus he was late war, not early. He served as a Fank advisor. Didn't get any of these type hats from him. I just bought the berets and SOG headgear.

www.vintageproductions.com

"A militaria show is a social event for anti-socials" - A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I had one exactly like this that I wore when I first arrived in Vietnam, early 1967.

Semper fi; Bill

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Recon .

You are just the type of member who can shed some light on how ,where and why these covers came from ?

Can you tell us how the Corps came to use this ?

Thanks owen

The Mitchell pattern shelter half came out in 1953 and the first issue helmet covers were 1959,

In the ERDL camo pattern test report one of the uniforms used for comparison was the USMC Mitchell pattern. There are pics of the uniform in the report and it does mention these were intended for Recon.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

Owen, here is a very bad shot of the Mitchell pattern trousers worn by “C” Company 3rd Recon Battalion in 1959. That was during a training involving different teams.

captur10.jpg

And this one is a shot of an early Mitchell Pattern helmet cover label :

cover_15.jpg

NTS

forum_10.jpg

Can someone tell me more about the item used on the shelter. It is the Mitchell pattern, but this is not the half-tents. That is often seen on the USMC camps.

usmc_m10.jpg

Does someone have a clue about this one ?

Thanks !

forum_10.jpg

That looks like it might be a bolt (roll) of cloth as it comes from the manufacturer. It was probably available for making repairs. I would also guess it is the tent canvas rather than the cloth used for helmet covers but you can not be sure.

I have an issue bolt of ERDL and without digging it out of storage I think it is about 4 feet (48 inches) wide and 200 yards (600 feet) long.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

I once knew a former USMC parachute rigger who had been assigned to 2nd Recon Bn and Force Recon Atlantic (during the VN war days). (Mar Recon has organic rigger teams.) He had literally a duffel bag full of Mitchell-pattern gear that HE had made up and had used himself. There were shirts and trousers, hooded rain parka, SMG mag bags, demo bags, packs, hats, boonie hats. He stated that the Recon riggers were kept busy "creating stuff", such as, but not limited to, the Mitchell camo garments and accoutrements. "Any officer or NCO just wandered into teh rigger shed" and ORDERED UP stuff. To do so, they had ROLLS of the camo material; such wholesale supplies probably were the source of the material on the bunker in the photo.

Craig, thanks for the reply. I forgot to say one thing : that is definitely plastic, ie completely different from the cotton fabric that is used for the tents.

In 2007 we went to Camp Carroll (which is now devastated) and among the stuff we found were plenty small parts of this. Actually I had never paid attention to this because I didn't know it existed ! I was sure it was either tents or large quantities of material.

photo010.jpg

Here are some items we found (not all at the same location, but all in the I Corps). The colors of the mitchell camo are more vivid than on the fabric. The plastic has now become almost rigid.

J_Andrews, I am not surprised. The designs of the jackets are sometimes so different. Thanks for the input.

forum_10.jpg

NTS

Thanks for your input .

Your finds are intresting to say the least .

Plastic coated fabric ???

You got me thinking

owen

Here is also a nice photo take in 1965 (Danang).

td45310.jpg

It seems that the beret is also a Mitchell camo.

Hi Francois

Superb photos you show here TERRIFIC ONE

Thanks J

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

Thanks NTS for your pix and hard work !!

Do you have photos of you digging at Carol ????

owen

Beezman should have some.

Actually, no need digging ! The camp was still standing a few years ago. When we decided to move our asses up there, it had been levelled for a year or two. Coffee have been planted there. Just by going into the field you could still see ruins and sand bags every where. Then we walked in lines to try to make out as many things as possible.

We found spoons, sandbags, a combat boot sole, the mitchell parttern plastic thing (small parts were all over the place) and also plastic things that are around the arty shells (grooved surface that used to be made in copper).

The cluster bomb parts were bought at Khe Sanh it self, in a junkyard.

forum_10.jpg

Just an thought here on additional pieces of Mitchell Pattern....correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't

there a garment made by KAMO during the war, consiting of two slash pockets and a hood......reversible?

Same company which made the duck-hunter garments.....based out of Florida.

Duffy

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2017.gif

Just an thought here on additional pieces of Mitchell Pattern....correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't

there a garment made by KAMO during the war, consiting of two slash pockets and a hood......reversible?

Same company which made the duck-hunter garments.....based out of Florida.

Duffy

I believe the KAMO brand mitchell garments appeared after the war :think:

MF

Thanks NTS for your pix and hard work !!

Do you have photos of you digging at Carol ????

owen

dscn4210.jpg

Here is the only picture I took at Caroll. Nothing spectacular, huh? The concrete wall must have been part of the command bunker. The recently plowed earth proved easy to search; we found bullet casings, spoons, C-rat accessories wrappers, barbed wire, this weird plastic mitchell fabric, shredded sandbags, and probably some other stuff I forgot.

Too bad we did not come here a few years earlier, when sandbag walls were still intact :( Lonely Planet stated it was an incredible sight back then.

forum_10.jpg

Recon .

You are just the type of member who can shed some light on how ,where and why these covers came from ?

Can you tell us how the Corps came to use this ?

Thanks owen

Sorry for the delayed reply.........I don't think I can shed much light on your questions. Mine was given to me by another Recon Marine who was leaving Vietnam shortly after I arrived. I don't know where he got it but it had not been worn much as it was almost new. I didn't wear it much as well because it was a little small for my head.

About 10-12 years ago, before I knew any better, I traded it, and a couple other items of militaria, to George Peterson for a couple things I wanted from him at the time......in hindsight, knowing what I know now, it was a bad trade for me.

Semper fi; Bill