Unkown 1942 uniform, blue piping, air corps patch...

OD MAN

I got this and a bunch of other uniforms at the flea market. The jacket and pants have matching tags. The jacket has a 1942 date hand written on one of the tags. It has infantry blue piping on it with an air corps patch. It is made out of a wooly material. Can anyone please explain these two pieces to me?

ndqudk.jpg

2ij6q75.jpg

tag on pants

33wwjk6.jpg

6ztu9c.jpg

50l5pi.jpg

http://i30.tinypic.com/359z8yv.jpg

three tags in jacket pocket

2a3or5.jpg

dd2r68.jpg

tag matches pants tag

t83x8g.jpg

Looks like M1938 INFANTRY PVT's dress blue coat and trou -- apparently assigned to AAC.

I would be interested if you would care to part with it.

G

Looks like M1938 INFANTRY PVT's dress blue coat and trou -- apparently assigned to AAC.

I would be interested if you would care to part with it.

G

Thanks for the info, can you please tell me more about infantry being assigned to AAC? When I learn more about it I will decided whether I want to sell it. :thumbsup:

Also is this jacket worn with these pants? They don't seem to "match."

Looks like this is your guy:

ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 18033065

NAME KIRKLAND#EUEL#J#########

RESIDENCE: STATE 85 TEXAS

RESIDENCE: COUNTY 009 ARCHER

PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 8653 WICHITA FALLS TEXAS

DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 01

DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 10

DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 40

GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION PVT# Private

GRADE: CODE 8 Private

BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION INF Infantry

BRANCH: CODE 10 Infantry

FIELD USE AS DESIRED # #

TERM OF ENLISTMENT 0 Undefined Code

LONGEVITY ### ###

SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL 0 Civil Life

NATIVITY 85 TEXAS

YEAR OF BIRTH 18

RACE AND CITIZENSHIP 1 White, citizen

EDUCATION 3 years of high school

CIVILIAN OCCUPATION 755 Semiskilled motion picture projectionists

MARITAL STATUS 6 Single, without dependents

COMPONENT OF THE ARMY 1 Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)

CARD NUMBER # #

BOX NUMBER 0269

FILM REEL NUMBER 2.126

I would also be intrested if you decide to part with it. :rolleyes:

I also found this:

KIRKLAND, EUEL J

PFC US ARMY

DATE OF BIRTH: 10/13/1918

DATE OF DEATH: 12/23/2002

BURIED AT:

OAK GROVE MEMORIAL GARDENS

1413 EAST IRVING BLVD IRVING, TX 75060

(972) 579-1844

Thanks for the info, can you please tell me more about infantry being assigned to AAC? When I learn more about it I will decided whether I want to sell it. :thumbsup:

Yes this jacket was worn with these pants. Army Dress blues from this era have the branch colors down the side of the pants.

I also found this:

KIRKLAND, EUEL J

PFC US ARMY

DATE OF BIRTH: 10/13/1918

DATE OF DEATH: 12/23/2002

BURIED AT:

OAK GROVE MEMORIAL GARDENS

1413 EAST IRVING BLVD IRVING, TX 75060

(972) 579-1844

Thanks!!!

I am only speculating as to attachment to AAC. They may indeed have been worn by an AAC bandsman, but the colors are Infy, for sure. Yes, the trou color is correct for the era. The light blue trou stripe is a puzzlement -- as a PVT he should have had none, but perhaps a band member would have worn them.

Bands did not always follow regs.

G

His NARA record says he was in the regular army infantry. The buttons on the coat are the regular US seal button found on any other army jacket. I really doubt this is a band member's uniform...plus wouldn't it have some sort of band tab above the patch? There really isn't any sign of this being for a band member other than the fact a private didn't follow the rules and put stripes on his pants. Dont you guys agree?

I have never heard of Army privates not having a strip on their Dress Blue Pants, are you sure you are not thinking of the Marines. Also shoulder patches have never been authorized on Dress Blue uniforms this one was probably added by some one trying to dress up the uniform.

Actually, I think I have seen SSIs on at least half the M38 EM blues I have encountered!

On the older high-collar EM blues, trouser strips were regulation -- 1/2" for CPLs, wider for SGTs and Wider yet for commissioned officers.

G

Actually, I think I have seen SSIs on at least half the M38 EM blues I have encountered!

On the older high-collar EM blues, trouser strips were regulation -- 1/2" for CPLs, wider for SGTs and Wider yet for commissioned officers.

G

These stripes are exactly 1 inch.

Well, that should make it for a SGT, but who knows for sure what bands wore -- even if it violated regs. (Infantry should have been white then.) I am thinking band still might be correct. It explains many things.

G

Well, that should make it for a SGT, but who knows for sure what bands wore -- even if it violated regs. (Infantry should have been white then.) I am thinking band still might be correct. It explains many things.

G

I think Gil is right that this is a bandsmans uniform. Band uniforms varied from one command to another and often had distinctive features such as privates wearing trouser stripes. (Back in the 19th century, privates never wore trouser stripes unless it was called for on a musicians uniform.) Some bands even wore officer style and color uniforms in the 1940's, so this has all the clues that could lead to the conclusion that it is a band uniform.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanx Lee. Some of this is obscure and speculative, as I said. But I suspect you have seen as much as I have when it comes to oddball stuff like this.

BTW -- it's my problem now -- I just bought it.

G

To me, it looks like a bandsman's uniform.

A number of the oddball sets that have come up on USMF in my time here have turned out to have been either bandsman or military school... not saying this one is - but, that history did leap to mind.

My father was an enlisted bandsman at West Point in 1946, and did wear a bandsman's tab over his Washington District SSI on regular uniforms, but nothing on the parade uniform.

I don't know enough about Army traditions to know whether the set being shown here is Class A or what...

• 5 years later...

I've found this private purchase officer blue dress trousers made in 1942.... i guess after 1942 when the dress blues become not mandatory they indulged a little with details and habit.

post-770-0-81295700-1413818948.jpg

• 1 year later...
Jamecharles

After all, we can say that was not uncommon see thelight blue bands instead the White, since 1920s

(look here)

post-770-0-16468400-1462204714.jpg