Offering my own "re-weaving" services

Captainofthe7th

Captainofthe7th

Today, I decided to restore a moth bitten Ike jacket I have. I recently purchased a pair of torn up wool trousers just for this job. After mending a few moth holes, I think I have gotten fairly skilled at patching up these holes without showing obvious work. I am considering offering this service for sale on the forum since I know many members on here struggle with how to repair moth holes. Take a look at the photos and tell me what you think, and if you think my idea is a good one.

Here is a quick before an after of the best repair yet. The first two are just eh, I am going to have to take them out and redo them. This was a hole a bit larger than a pin head, you can see part of the Cavalry collar brass for reference. (This one is not quite done yet)

DSCF2210.jpg

DSCF2211.jpg

I have also considering offering a service for ribbons with the thin plastic covering. Over the years this usually yellows and begins to flake off. I have cellophane material identical to the original stuff, and have repaired a number of these ribbons with the cellophane in poor condition. Here is an example of ribbons with the cellophane covering:

DSCF1521.jpg

Rob

Captainofthe7th

Here is another, this was the other lapel. It is by no means pristine and perfect, with a magnifying glass you can see the threads and such. However, with normal vision and on display, it looks quite nice. FAR better than an ugly hole with some white showing through. You can see the outline of the "patch" in this very close up photograph...it is hard to maintain the weave around the edges.

DSCF2212.jpg

DSCF2213.jpg

I'm very pleased! It's nothing super hard to do, it's really just a patch of wool blended in the moth hole and sewn in place. It's tedious and time consuming. So really, anyone can do it, but I still think I could make a few dollars off of it, if anyone is interested.

Rob