B17C first aid kit

ww2reproductions

craig_pickrall

I have tried to fix the photo that is not loading. I do not know what the problem is. It is within the required size limit.

Thats actually a civilian first aid kit by the Bullard Company in San Francisco. They were used alot in Gas Stations and the oil Industry. Kind of the predicessor for the first model jungle kits.

Cobrahistorian
Thats actually a civilian first aid kit by the Bullard Company in San Francisco. They were used alot in Gas Stations and the oil Industry. Kind of the predicessor for the first model jungle kits.

Thanks for the ID on that one. We've got one in the collection here and I've argued several times with a couple different people that it was not military.

I read somewhere that these types of first aid kits were often mounted in military barracks, pre WWII, as well as found in the civilian world.

Doc Rick

ww2reproductions

Photo showing first aid kit container in the back of a B17C

Its in the middle of the photo

post-5828-1250596219.jpg

post-5828-1250596421.jpg

Photo showing first aid kit container in the back of a B17C

Its in the middle of the photo

I am still not convinced that kit was ever used by the military. Could that be a picture of a B17 that has not been officially accepted by the AAF yet? Still being built or flight tested by Boeing? They would use a Civilian FA kit like that one. After acceptance the AAF would mount their standard kit in the acft. I'm guessing the kit probably has the standard green Bullard boxes with the green cover instruction manual that takes up two pockets. The decal on the front of the case looks a little to ornate to me. Usually the AAF kits are simply stenciled First Aid with a Red Cross or the Caudicus. I will admit that pre war maybe the AAF used these civilian kits due to a shortage of stock military kits. There are pictures of Johnson and Johnson civilian kits being used in early AAF survival kits. I have seen dozens (Honest) of these kits over the years and if the decal on the case is intact its usually an oil company, a generic Bullard Co decal, or once I had seen one with a decal from Otis Elevator Co. After WW2 the Bullard Co changed the inner case to vinyl rather then cloth. Some time back I had contacted the Bullard Company asking for info on these kits. They couldn't even tell me what year they had moved from the SF Offices. Some dealer had tried to sell one as an early jungle kit. Replaced some of the contents with Military dressings....

• 2 months later...
I am still not convinced that kit was ever used by the military. Could that be a picture of a B17 that has not been officially accepted by the AAF yet? Still being built or flight tested by Boeing? They would use a Civilian FA kit like that one. After acceptance the AAF would mount their standard kit in the acft. I'm guessing the kit probably has the standard green Bullard boxes with the green cover instruction manual that takes up two pockets. The decal on the front of the case looks a little to ornate to me. Usually the AAF kits are simply stenciled First Aid with a Red Cross or the Caudicus. I will admit that pre war maybe the AAF used these civilian kits due to a shortage of stock military kits. There are pictures of Johnson and Johnson civilian kits being used in early AAF survival kits. I have seen dozens (Honest) of these kits over the years and if the decal on the case is intact its usually an oil company, a generic Bullard Co decal, or once I had seen one with a decal from Otis Elevator Co. After WW2 the Bullard Co changed the inner case to vinyl rather then cloth. Some time back I had contacted the Bullard Company asking for info on these kits. They couldn't even tell me what year they had moved from the SF Offices. Some dealer had tried to sell one as an early jungle kit. Replaced some of the contents with Military dressings....

See E Bay auction # 150384079144 for an example of this kit. Identical kit used by the Standard Oil Company...

• 5 years later...

I wanted to update this old thread. Member Dustin has been watching for any info on this kit in the archives and has recently found a photo of a display of military aircraft first aid kits that actually included this style kit. So its possible it may be an issue item after all.

• 1 month later...

Just to muddy the waters here is a different style of Bullard first aid kit I got for a steal awhile ago. The kit itself is absolutely mint and I bought it more because it is stocked with Davis Emergency Equipment Co. Inc. contents instead of those normal ugly green boxes. I realize that it is not military, but I couldn't resist the price.

Bob

post-299-0-18149600-1434757873.jpg

post-299-0-54004600-1434757880.jpg

post-299-0-58359800-1434757897.jpg

Just to muddy the waters here is a different style of Bullard first aid kit I got for a steal awhile ago. The kit itself is absolutely mint and I bought it more because it is stocked with Davis Emergency Equipment Co. Inc. contents instead of those normal ugly green boxes. I realize that it is not military, but I couldn't resist the price.

Bob

is this what you are referring to?

post-125364-0-61054800-1434758873.jpgpost-125364-0-80723700-1434758874.jpg

Yes Jake. Sorry that I may have been a bit harsh, but I really dislike the green boxes. But your kit is nice and complete.

Bob

Yes Jake. Sorry that I may have been a bit harsh, but I really dislike the green boxes. But your kit is nice and complete.

Bob

its not mine someone offered it to me, i personally saw the green thing and didnt like it either but i wasnt going to go after it without looking it up first