Vietnam: In-Country Army copter "names" + art work

sighgone

snake36bravo
post-467-1250716593.jpg

UH-1B Gunship, unit unknown to me.

174th AHC Company...the only unit officially authorized by the Flying Tigers themselves to sport sharks teeth. Others just did it. I have a few pocket patches from this unit in my collection. Sharks are gunships, dolphins flew lift ships, slicks.

snake36bravo
post-467-1250713474.jpg

1st Cav Huey Landing. This is scanned from an old slide that I took years ago in Vietnam.

From Flickr.com, marvin908's photostream.

This was my fathers unit, Charlie Company 227th AVN BN out of An Khe.

Nevada Gambler was added to the decal sheet for a model kit. Another C Co 227th lift ship.

post-2582-1250723821.jpg

snake36bravo

One of only 6 INFANT Iroquois Night Fighter Night Tracker gunships delivered to D Co for evaluation. This one sports of the nose art matching my patch for my riker of the 227th.

post-2582-1250724409.jpg

snake36bravo

Pimp my ride, 174th AHC style. This reminds me of the Family Guy episode where the Alien from the Alien movies tells Stewie, "I'll eat you with my little mouth too".

post-2582-1250724881.jpg

Uh... where'd you get that one? I own the original.

Fantastic, you guys really outdid yourselves on this thread. The tradition did indeed stay alive throughout the Vietnam War. It appears that helicopter "names" and artwork flourished in great Army aviation style. With 10,000 Army helos serving overseas in an eleven year conflict the odds were pretty predictable that the fuselage surfaces of slicks, guns, scouts, dustoff and cargo rotorcraft would be illustrated and written upon without letup. The spirit of the American helicopter crewman and pilot shined full brilliance with resolute perseverance and adaptability. Someday soon, god willing, this history will be documented and preserved for posterity. JB

Uh... where'd you get that one? I own the original.

Stolen from Flickr from someone who had probably downloaded it somewhere on the web thats why I did not credit him.

Cobrahistorian
Stolen from Flickr from someone who had probably downloaded it somewhere on the web thats why I did not credit him.

Heh... cool. What you can't see in that pic is the aircraft's name! Painted on the ammo bay door, it had "Happiness is a Warm Gun". Jim Laurier did a beautiful profile of her in my book on the Cobra in Vietnam.

Jon

We gonna make this thread one of the classics of USMF !

Flickr is one big hunting field for Nam pictures. Tons of vets and family slides and photos but most of the times not properly tagged, like "Dad and his helo in Vietnam" or "me and the boys, 1968". Some pictures are really cool and unique.

post-467-1250790069.jpg

From an e-mail my dad received today, he found out that the helicopter he served on, Electric Olive (17331), is actually being restored at the National Vietnam War Museum !

Looks like we'll be visiting soon!

From Flickr.com : TheBeej's photostream

nguoi tien su

Great thread !

Aviation artwork is really interesting.

Here is one of the 52nd ACB in 1970. (vhpa museum, Image courtesy of Glenn Salger)

52nd_b10.jpg

nguoi tien su

To carry on with the 117th AHC, Pussy Galore ! Late fall 68. (vhpa museum, Image courtesy of Keith Alleger)

1410.jpg

nguoi tien su

Great 170th AHC, Image courtesy of David Hooper C/E, 170th AHC, Buccaneer guns, Kontum, Vietnam 70-71 (trough vhpa museum)

front_10.jpg

nguoi tien su

D Troop, 3rd Squadron, 5th Cavalry Regiment

morevi10.jpg

Circa 1969 "Scavengers" (maintenance platoon) nose art.

Image courtesy of War Wagon Crewchief, Jim Hyler via Don Callison through vhpa museum.