Vietnam: In-Country Army copter "names" + art work

sighgone

nguoi tien su

A close up of Strawberry Bit*h'' on a UH-1D of the 121st AHC ''Soc Trang Tigers'' in about 1968. On the forum I have found that picture, they said that the name had later been changed to Babe !

strawb10.jpg

nguoi tien su

190th ACH and W01 Coveney in 1968. Forgot about the source. But a wonderful example of painting !

190th_10.jpg

The story behind this one is that the doorgunner was working for Disney when he was drafted. Hence the quality of the painting.

Holy Crap!!! I forget to check this site for a couple of months and you guys go CRAZY with VN nose art. We have a whole thread dedicated to the subject over at the Finescalemodeler helo forum. I tried to look through the posts to keep from duplicating stuff. I see someone beat my to my own photo of dad's 190th gunship. Oh well, what else can we find. Lemme see:

MS-B-0673a.jpg

From Robert Brackenhoff (174th AHC 70-71)

THe rest of these are from the nose art collection at the Army Aviation Museum:

1cd4NoseArt.jpg

The Hooks had lots of cool names:

11a.jpg

14a.jpg

18a.jpg

22a.jpg

66-00095_NA.jpg

71-20955_Nose_Art_a.jpg

9a.jpg

66-00107_NA.jpg

snake36bravo

Here's one from Terry Moon, an official 1st Cav photographer. CHUCK YOU FARLIE Phuoc Vinh June 69

Snoopy got around the Nam a lot.

post-2582-1251431289.jpg

• 8 months later...
Here's one from Terry Moon, an official 1st Cav photographer. CHUCK YOU FARLIE Phuoc Vinh June 69

Snoopy got around the Nam a lot.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I was a Charlie -Charlie driver with Snoopy Platoon, 3rd Bde 1st Cav 2/69-1/70 and this pic is definitely a Snoopy bird.

The Snoopy on the nose, the hourglass symbol with the 3 on the door ,the orange color of the skid steps and barely visible orange band behind the greenhouse ID this as Snoopy

The odd things are:

I don't remember any of our Huey's having "Chuck You Farlie" on the nose, but that could be chalked up to aging gray matter.

Second, this photo is labeled "Phouc Vinh." Snoopy was never located at PV in 1969. I don't recognize the two men on the roof, or any of the background. My best guess is that this bird is at the 15th TC facility in Phu Loi.

Also, the hourglass on the door dates this photo after March '69

Below is a photo from May '69. Crew Chief Craig Fouts on the right, yours truly on the left. This pic shows the hourglass symbols better. The earliest pic I have with the symbol dates to April '69, doors were blank before that. For those keeping track of the ID symbols used by the Cav, you can add the hourglass with number for the brigades. I can't remember seeing 1st or 2nd Brigade ship. so I'm assuming they used the same.

Frank

post-12179-1274982205.jpg

Cobrahistorian
This is an original I own. ACH-47 Guns-A-Go-Go

Since someone brought up Guns a Go Go, I figured I'd post this:

gogo-2.jpg

This is an original GoGo decal (you can see it on the forward rotor pylon in Snake's photo) produced by Vertol when the team was originally shipped overseas. On either side of the decal are two of the unit patches. The one on the left, I'm pretty sure is a reunion piece, but the one on the right is an original 53rd Aviation Det. patch. The model is one of four ACH-47As that I've currently got building and I will be doing all four Guns a Go Go birds to display with this decal.

Jon

Pimp my ride, 174th AHC style. This reminds me of the Family Guy episode where the Alien from the Alien movies tells Stewie, "I'll eat you with my little mouth too".

Great thred!! As an helicopter guy myself the nose art means alot on birds!! It shows what chiefs really care for them. Unfortunally with the current war on terror almost all army helicopters have been stripped of their names and art. Its become to political as it was told to me. I chalked on shark jaws on my blackhawk during OIF, people loved it!! The command didnt!! Well on a brighter note, look at all the forward CG on the 174th bird with the chunker. Im sure she natually wanted to go through ETL with that much forward weight, lol :thumbsup: Does anyone else hear ride of the valkries playing in the background when reading this thread??? ;)

Cobrahistorian
Great thred!! As an helicopter guy myself the nose art means alot on birds!! It shows what chiefs really care for them. Unfortunally with the current war on terror almost all army helicopters have been stripped of their names and art. Its become to political as it was told to me. I chalked on shark jaws on my blackhawk during OIF, people loved it!! The command didnt!! Well on a brighter note, look at all the forward CG on the 174th bird with the chunker. Im sure she natually wanted to go through ETL with that much forward weight, lol :thumbsup: Does anyone else hear ride of the valkries playing in the background when reading this thread??? ;)

I hear ya bro. We painted B Company's birds two years ago. Battalion pretty much agreed to look the other way but a few people outside of the chain of command had a fit, so they were repainted. It looked really cool, but alas, was doomed.

P5130075.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
ripeold f*rt
Here she is finished and mounted.

And a line of sharks during Lam Son 719 (a movie needs to be made)

Nearest aircraft is "Battlin Bitch" then "Grim Reaper" "Surfer" and "Ace of Spades." None of these aircraft survived Lam Son 719.

Witchdoctor was the 174th maintenance ship. Muskets were the guns from the 176th AHC.

ROF

• 11 months later...
snake36bravo

Thought I'd post some I took today of ACH-47 Easy Money which is the only surviving one. These is the same paint job worn in Vietnam. I haven't been very active here lately or on any forums really due to marital BS. Anyway.

post-2582-1305423265.jpg

snake36bravo

During the restoration this original panel complete with it's art was uncovered and they restored it as well. I talked to a CH-47J crew chief from the 18th Aviation Brigade a week ago about the Army needing to resurrect this program for A-Stan.

That's all folks. :thumbsup:

post-2582-1305423973.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Great GoGo pics!

Guns a Go Go is now the callsign for the 4th Battalion 160th SOAR. They've even adopted the patch, albeit with NVGs on it now. Guns a Go Go is alive and well!

I've got a small collection of GoGo memorabilia, including 2 original patches and the original decal from the forward pylon that's in your third photo.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

As soon as the publisher provides me with ordering information I will post it soonest here. Some time in early June I've been told. Stay tuned, John Brennan

Backcoverofbk.jpg

Just came across this thread. Here’s one I have in my collection.

Ancient Serpent Six

army_mil-2007-03-01-151655.jpg

Major Bruce Crandall, CMH

army_mil-2007-03-01-151838.jpg

La Drang Valley landing zone X-Ray 1965

army_mil-2007-03-01-151738.jpg

Does anybody here have any photos of my favorite team; the "Judge" and the "Executioner" I believe that Same Cook was the "Executioner" and the other one, Mike Arlene was the "Judge"?

Also any snake pilots and Gladiators here that worked "across the fence".

Does anybody here have any photos of my favorite team; the "Judge" and the "Executioner" I believe that Same Cook was the "Executioner" and the other one, Mike Arlene was the "Judge"?

Also any snake pilots and Gladiators here that worked "across the fence".

Nobody?

• 2 years later...

Just came across this thread. Here’s one I have in my collection.

Ancient Serpent Six

army_mil-2007-03-01-151655.jpg

Major Bruce Crandall, CMH

army_mil-2007-03-01-151838.jpg

La Drang Valley landing zone X-Ray 1965

army_mil-2007-03-01-151738.jpg

Thanks fr these. I joined A/229 a year after Ia Drang. During the middle of my tour we took the call sign Smiling Serpent and I duplicated the door art as Serpent 6 doors for Maj. Gene Beyer's 888. I recall flying back to An Khe to draw the logo from the murals at the flight line Cav Bar.

• 10 months later...

post-467-0-53246300-1416676192.jpg

Another pic "borrowed" from Flickr. Original owner is Floyd Parkinson Sr and he is standing next to his chopper in 1967.

Note the subdued sleeve rank on the right sleeve of the Nomex shirt.