WWI Naval Officers Uniform & Cap

Bob Hudson

This was part of a group of uniforms I appraised a month or so ago for an estate sale operator who took these on consignment from a third party. Some WWII aviation cadet uniforms sold, but the WWI Naval officer service dress uniform did not. For some reason, I decided I'd buy it, even though I actually paid full retail for it (something I never, ever do).

This aviation cadet uniform was worn by the father of the third party and this Navy uniform was worn by his grandfather, but apparently no one in the family knew grandpa had been in the Navy: when I went to do the appraisal I was told there was a "West Point" uniform. The uniform is named inside and I was able find the owner listed as a U.S. Naval Reserve Force officer in the 1919 Navy register.

The uniform is pretty good condition: there appear to be a couple of small snags in the fabric, but no mothing. There is a piece of metal missing from the collar insignia anchor which is a combination of metal pieces and bullion thread. The trousers have a button fly. I first saw the bell crown cap in a photo emailed to me and it looked like it was missing the strap and insignia: well it turned out it had a rain cover on it and everything was intact. I suppose the condition greatly influenced my decision to buy it. I come across so many moth-eaten old military uniforms that a 91-year-old uniform in such good condition looked pretty impressive. Below the photos I have posted an image of one of these Service Dress Uniforms from the 1917 US Navy Uniform Regulations.

(The sword did not come with the uniform - it's something I picked up earlier in the week)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I think the cap and rain cover combo really enhances the value compared to what a typical cap would sell for. So, assuming you paid in the $200 range for the entire uniform, you did fine.

Kurt

• 9 years later...

I am trying to get a reproduction of this stype of cap made, but reference pictures are hard to find. Can you provide some more images, particularly of the sides and back?

Since this post is from 2009, I doubt Bob still has it, but perhaps one of the other members can provide images of a similar hat.

Kurt