James N Marudas Trunk Grouping

PaulsAirsoftArmory

PaulsAirsoftArmory

I recently acquired this trunk grouping. The name is scratched off the top of the trunk, but it is still mostly legible. I have only had a hard time with the last name. I can make out most of the letters as MARUDAS. The "D" I am not 100% sure about. The ASN appears to be 37560854. The 4 is painted/stenciled on backwards. This number does not appear in NARA unless I am searching incorrectly.

First, I will post pictures of the trunk itself.

FILE0040.jpg

FILE0042.jpg

FILE0043.jpg

FILE0044.jpg

FILE0045.jpg

FILE0046.jpg

FILE0047.jpg

Left Side: (The tag is marked 902 - 265 60)

FILE0048.jpg

Right Side:

FILE0049.jpg

PaulsAirsoftArmory

Inside, there were 5 khaki shirts. 4 with chevrons and other patches, one in the wrappers, no patches that I have been able to see.

FILE0051.jpg

FILE0053.jpg

Same order as above, just other sleeve:

FILE0054.jpg

Close up of Wolf patch:

FILE0056.jpg

NOS Shirt:

FILE0076.jpg

FILE0078.jpg

PaulsAirsoftArmory

There were also 6 flannel shirts. Most appear new or worn very little.

This one has some sort of inspector's tag on it I believe:

FILE0057.jpg

Tag close up:

FILE0058.jpg

FILE0059.jpg

FILE0060.jpg

4 of the shirts are the 1942 pattern. 2 are the older 1937 pattern. Both of the 1937 Pattern shirts have some sort of laundry mark on them.

1937 Pattern shirt:

FILE0062.jpg

Shirt 1 Laundry mark PX4-4899

FILE0061.jpg

Shirt 1 tag

FILE0066.jpg

Shirt 2 Laundry mark PX4-2149

FILE0063.jpg

Shirt 2 tag

FILE0065.jpg

My understanding is that laundry marks were the last letter followed by the last 4 digits of the serial number. Is it possible that these shirts didn't belong to Marudas. What other info can be found about Marudas? I have no other information other than he lived in Wisconsin.

What is the Wolf Head patch for? I know the one with the Star of David is 6th Army, but what about the ship's wheel?

That's all the pictures I have. If you have any questions or need some more pics, feel free to ask.

That is an uncommon last name.

Found one match:

James N Marudas born 12 Mar 1909, died 9 Sep 1986 inLivonia, Wayne County, Michigan

kyhistorian01
There were also 6 flannel shirts. Most appear new or worn very little.

This one has some sort of inspector's tag on it I believe:

FILE0057.jpg

Tag close up:

FILE0058.jpg

FILE0059.jpg

FILE0060.jpg

4 of the shirts are the 1942 pattern. 2 are the older 1937 pattern. Both of the 1937 Pattern shirts have some sort of laundry mark on them.

1937 Pattern shirt:

FILE0062.jpg

Shirt 1 Laundry mark PX4-4899

FILE0061.jpg

Shirt 1 tag

FILE0066.jpg

Shirt 2 Laundry mark PX4-2149

FILE0063.jpg

Shirt 2 tag

FILE0065.jpg

My understanding is that laundry marks were the last letter followed by the last 4 digits of the serial number. Is it possible that these shirts didn't belong to Marudas. What other info can be found about Marudas? I have no other information other than he lived in Wisconsin.

What is the Wolf Head patch for? I know the one with the Star of David is 6th Army, but what about the ship's wheel?

That's all the pictures I have. If you have any questions or need some more pics, feel free to ask.

To answer your question about the patches, the wolf head patch is for the 104th Timberwolf Division from WWII and the ships wheel patch is the US Army Ports of Embarkation patch from WWII. The 104th fought in Europe during the war. I hope this helps.

Robert

PaulsAirsoftArmory
To answer your question about the patches, the wolf head patch is for the 104th Timberwolf Division from WWII and the ships wheel patch is the US Army Ports of Embarkation patch from WWII. The 104th fought in Europe during the war. I hope this helps.

Robert

It indeed does help! Thanks for the ID, Robert :thumbsup:

Paul