USN Photo from WWII.

AndrewA74

AndrewA74

Hello,

I have an original USN picture from WWII that is about 10" by 12". It shows a F9-F

fighter plane that crash landed on the deck of the USS Langly and slid into the ocean. I did some reasearch and discovered that this ship was the first US aircraft carrier. On the back, the photographer wrote some info. The info is set up like the back of the picture frame.

USS Langly Prop

CVL.27 Clarence E. Botts

Aircraft Carrier SC"B" 1C

Loss of F9-F USS Langly

Fighter Plane

Crash Landing on deck

August 1945

Pilot rescued + picked up

by destroyer in picture

A_t. of port stern

The frame is original with Edicon Mazda Lamp tape sealing the edges. Any info relating to the photagrapher is appreciated. What is this picture worth, sealed in frame? As to the picture, there are a few crew members on the deck. You can see the skid marks where the plane skidded. You can also see the destroyer in the background. This photo was taken from the island of the Aircraft Carrier. I payed $2 a long time ago for this. Fare deal?

Sincerely,

AndrewA74

Charlie Flick

Andrew:

I think you may have your ships mixed up. The USS Langley (CV-1) was indeed the first US aircraft carrier. By WW2 it was obsolete and had been converted to a seaplane tender. It was scuttled in 1942 after being damaged in a Japanese air attack.

The ship in your pic is probably the second USS Langley (CVL-27), a light carrier that saw considerable action in the PTO. A pic of it is shown below. It was decommissioned in 1947.

I think the aircraft ID is also mistaken. The F9F aircraft was a jet fighter built by Grumman that served in the Korean War, long after the USS Langley was out of service. I suspect the aircraft in question was actually a F6F, the predominant USN fighter aircraft in the second half of the Pacific War.

How about posting a pic of your pic? I am sure we would all like to see it.

Hope this helps you.

Charlie Flick

USS_Langley_CVL_27.jpg

AndrewA74

I too thought that this was the wrong aircraft. Maybe he got it mixed with the

F4-F Corsair, but that's what the picture said. The flaps of the aircraft look almost like a Dauntless Dive Bomber. Could be one ermm.gif .