JUST LISTEN AND DO YOUR RESEARCH

swmdo

I've been in the military almost 30 years now. I've seen a lot of things and have seen lots of folks all over this country and overseas reenacting. Most of the folks I've seen reenacting are spot on since they seem to do thier research. To be honest some look better then active duty when wearing the uniform. The key is knowing how to wear a uniform and the proper military attitude/military bearing for the unit you are portraying and the time period. Somebody with long hair may look okay in say the civil war or French and Indian wars, but they would look out of place as a Darby Ranger from WWII. On another note if your doing special forces you might grow your hair a little bit have a beard and maybe not be so squared away in keeping with the unit ethos such as Rogers Rangers or WWII USMC Raider. Bottom line have fun and don't worry what the other guy is thinking life is too short. Remember its a great day to be alive!!

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

WWII Soldiers kept their hair off their ears and the back of the collar but otherwise it was quite long.

"On another note if your doing special forces you might grow your hair a little bit have a beard and maybe not be so squared away in keeping with the unit ethos such as Rogers Rangers or WWII USMC Raider."

Special Forces from what era? The "special forces" of WWII were the fist special service force, the OSS and the Alamo Scout types. They were mostly regular soldiers with normal haircuts. In the field they may have grown facial hair, but so did all soldiers in combat, including hte Rangers and Raiders.

The US Army Special Forces came into life during the 1950's and were a pretty STRAC outfit. They were professional soldiers with normal soldiers standards in garrison. If they went to a country that facial hair was culturally important then they would grow beards (middle east). In S/E Asia the Special Forces maintained normal soldier standards except as all normal soldiers did in the field.

From the 1970's to now their standards are similar. If they're training or advising a group where the beard is culturally sensitive then they might grow beards. Today, the Army Rangers perform a similar mission and they will grow longer hair and beards. Back in garrison (CONUS) all of these soldiers will adopt normal military standards in uniform appearance and grooming.

Please clarify,

Rock

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

"I've been in the military almost 30 years now. I've seen a lot of things and have seen lots of folks all over this country and overseas reenacting. Most of the folks I've seen reenacting are spot on since they seem to do thier research. To be honest some look better then active duty when wearing the uniform. The key is knowing how to wear a uniform and the proper military attitude/military bearing for the unit you are portraying and the time period..."

What military are you in? What country are you referring to?

Most, of the folks you see reenacting are spot on?

They, look better than active duty when wearing the uniform? Please elaborate.

Rock

Rock. United States. I agree with you assessments. It depends on the unit and where they are located etc and what the mission is and what the units roles are. Our family member who was a Darby Ranger had a pretty tight hair cut back in WWII "Swam to North Africa." My uncle who flew B17's had pretty long hair. My step dad USMC who served in Vietnam had medium length hair. My father who was a Marine wore a "Pith Hat" when he was firing artillary and no shirt.

I was talking about Rogers Rangers. Bottom line personnel need to do thier research. A Marine fighting in Okinawa 1944 would look different then a Marine trapped on the Rock in Manila Bay in 1942. An Army Ranger 1983 hitting Grenada looks different then a Ranger in 2010. If your in the field it is harder to maintain standards i.e. beard growth and you may not want to bath for what ever reason.

I've seen reenactors who look more squared away when playing the part, i.e. not over weight or ill fitting uniforms, but it works both ways. I've seen some pretty strong looking guys not be able to run 3 miles although they look the part in uniform, You know the drill.

When I first came in things were rather lax. We seem to be more militant now. But we allow personnel to wear working uniforms, flight suits and BDUS in places that we would never had allowed when our hair was long and we were allowed to wear sideburns and in some cases beards. :thumbsup:

Gunney Chris
If your in the field it is harder to maintain standards i.e. beard growth and you may not want to bath for what ever reason.

LOL you have never served with the British Army then lol, where ever they are, woods, jungle, desert, the British Soldier must wash, and shave each day, the British army is very strict on these points. I did 10 years in the British Army and remember fun mornings in a Belize jungle washing and shaving whilst a very large spider was walking over my landrover wheel lol... :D

LOL you have never served with the British Army then lol, where ever they are, woods, jungle, desert, the British Soldier must wash, and shave each day, the British army is very strict on these points. I did 10 years in the British Army and remember fun mornings in a Belize jungle washing and shaving whilst a very large spider was walking over my landrover wheel lol... :D

Thanks for the insight. Very funny. I'm assuming tea is served on time too? Do you have shorts and grog rations still?

Thanks for the insight. Very funny. I'm assuming tea is served on time too?
I was with a British unit on a CONUS exrecise once. No kidding, they stopped everything for tea time, leaving us colonials utterly baffled, staring at them, unsure if they were messing with us or what. I'd thought so much of what I'd heard about the British Army was all a stereotype until i actually saw them in action. Tough mothers, the whole lot of them, but some of their habits were... peculiar, let's just say. Also, they had real issues with us. For example, I had one of their Majors come over and ask if it was correct for my Platoon SGT to talk with me the way his NCOs had heard him doing. I advised it was normal for NCOs to tell it like it is when the time called for it. Their enlisted soldiers could never take to how laid back our enlisted people were around me and other officers.

Gunney Chris

I admit the British Army is very strict, but perhaps of it's small size is why we are so good at the job. I admit certain units have some weird habits and I wish they were more laid back sometimes, perhaps they wouldn't lose as many personnel as they do. It just shows how much information we must get right to do this hobby for each country or service arm we try to reenact.

I admit the British Army is very strict, but perhaps of it's small size is why we are so good at the job. I admit certain units have some weird habits and I wish they were more laid back sometimes, perhaps they wouldn't lose as many personnel as they do. It just shows how much information we must get right to do this hobby for each country or service arm we try to reenact.

One old WWII vet told me "Don't touch my water or I'll kill you", meaning water was precious, he said sometimes water was scarce, and not shaving was not just because ye didin't have time, but concervation of that precious water was paramount...

In the mountains of Italy and the Franco/Italian border, water had to be carried up by two legs....Water was scarce, shaving wasn't always a necessity, in the British Army? I'll ask Stan next time I see him, a citizen soldier who fought on Camino in December 1943/44 and is now a volunteer at Bushey where we (FSSF-UK) are based, I guess him and his mates where lax, though a regular would probably not be, being indoctrinated....Photos?...the British censures would have them ones of British soldiers unshaved burned I guess, "moral auld bean" and all that...

There is a diference between them massed Citizen Soldiers and regular volunteer soldiers of an army decades and for reasons apart...

Hey

I am from Belfast and just like the British Army everything stops for Tea there ,and we we in a little tiff with them .

Here comes a footpatrol !

So what it is time for tea .

Pass the Hobnobs will ya ?

You know the song money makes the world go round ?

well in the UK Tea makes our feet go round !!!!!

Get the kettle on !!!!!

owen

hochiminhtrail

in my personal opinion the british army is the best arround the world even ranking the US army behind, maybe not by their equipment, but the leadership and troops and by their esprit de corps, its missing a bit in other modern armys, tradition is kept high, the english army has a good knowtion of fighting foreign wars and adapt to differennt culture, due to their experience in their past colonial wars, over the last centuries. And i really admire this, Brits are real soldiers, who know their job.

This is a german saying this.

Cheers

Alex

i can confirm that the british are greate soldiers!

i exersice regulary with the royal marines every whinther

here in norway and i cant complain on theyre spirit!

high moral and respect for officers and the royal marines

loves tea to. every moment free is time for a brew :thumbsup:

ken in norway.

• 2 weeks later...
Gunney Chris
i can confirm that the british are greate soldiers!

i exersice regulary with the royal marines every whinther

here in norway and i cant complain on theyre spirit!

high moral and respect for officers and the royal marines

loves tea to. every moment free is time for a brew :thumbsup:

ken in norway.

Cheers m8, I did a spell with AMF(L) "Ace Mobile Force Land" and part of our training areas was Norway, I spent my time in Voss doing my Arctic survival and warfare training, then onto the bigger exercise up in Trondheim. Lol I do remember those -40 degrees nights in tentage and snowhole on the moutains lol.. ;):)

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

I would add that the British are good soldiers. As a former US Army Paratrooper they were our equal in both dress, behavior, performance and esprit de corps. We trained with them on many occasions and even swapped wings with them. The British have a different way of doing things for sure. All US Army Paratroopers are trained from day one to be ready to take charge. The British Army has their hierarchy that is much more rigid. Although structure is good, our young privates were intamately more adept at leadership.

The French have some fine forces. I was assigned to the Berlin Brigade with the British and French. US Army and British honor guards were hard, lean, polished and diciplined. The French acted like Boy Scouts.

Just an observation.

Rock

in my personal opinion the british army is the best arround the world even ranking the US army behind, maybe not by their equipment, but the leadership and troops and by their esprit de corps, its missing a bit in other modern armys, tradition is kept high, the english army has a good knowtion of fighting foreign wars and adapt to differennt culture, due to their experience in their past colonial wars, over the last centuries. And i really admire this, Brits are real soldiers, who know their job.

Cheers

Alex

First of all this has absolutely nothing to do with the original post, secondly I am a proud American and by you saying the British Army out ranks the US Army on a US Militaria site is really offensive and does not belong on here. Especially to all of the US veterans that are members here.

bush1005.jpg

Gunney Chris
First of all this has absolutely nothing to do with the original post, secondly I am a proud American and by you saying the British Army out ranks the US Army on a US Militaria site is really offensive and does not belong on here. Especially to all of the US veterans that are members here.

bush1005.jpg

I wouldn't take it personnaly m8, I have the greatest respect for all servicemen and ex-servicemen thats have the heart to serve there countries.

I personally think the Australian Army is the best in the world! But I may have a bias :w00t:

Same goes for the Australian university system, Australian woman etc etc.

I think that it is a sign of good esprit de corps to have a high opinion of ones own army.

The simple fact is that there good and the not so good in all armies.

Lets bring this discussion back to the topic please gentlemen.

Hal O'Peridol

bush1005.jpg

Just to say I am a proud US Army combat veteran and found nothing offensive about the post. I have served with the Brits in the Middle East and was very impressed with their espirit-de-corps, professionalism and bravery. I don't think we have to get worked up when someone thinks a particular army may be better than ours. Our Army has it problems, just as any other one does. Our Army has it's good points, just as any other one does.

Just to say I am a proud US Army combat veteran and found nothing offensive about the post. I have served with the Brits in the Middle East and was very impressed with their espirit-de-corps, professionalism and bravery. I don't think we have to get worked up when someone thinks a particular army may be better than ours. Our Army has it problems, just as any other one does. Our Army has it's good points, just as any other one does.

Thank you for your service, I guess what I learned here is that i should speak for myself next time. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Alex

There hasn't been an "English Army" since the Union auld bean...Just like there hasn't been a Prussian Army since, oh, now when was it?

And it's "notion"... :pinch:

Signing out...A very undermined Scotsman.... :think:

Actua;;y, I think this does bring this back on topic. I am not a WW2 reenactor, but do a bit of living history. I am amazed at how many "Non-

Americans" portray US Forces (pick an era). What we see haere is that each nations armed forces has their own way of doing things. I have drank much beer with Brit, Ausy, Kiwi and Canadian Sailors over the years, and scraped chairs across a barroom floor a time or two too. I've operated with all the NATO Navies, and a big group of Asian also. I have noticed over the years that while we may do some detail things different, we all do the basics pretty much the same. Which brings me to my point. When we portray "forign" Soldiers, are our own "national" traits being displayed? For example, when I was training recruits, I had a recruit who had served in the Jamacian Army. It took a couple of weeks to get the British drill out of him. "Biggs, this is the NAVY, the AMERICAN NAVY. We're casual, we STROLL, NOT STOMP!"

Steve Hesson

Actua;;y, I think this does bring this back on topic. I am not a WW2 reenactor, but do a bit of living history. I am amazed at how many "Non-

Americans" portray US Forces (pick an era). What we see haere is that each nations armed forces has their own way of doing things. I have drank much beer with Brit, Ausy, Kiwi and Canadian Sailors over the years, and scraped chairs across a barroom floor a time or two too. I've operated with all the NATO Navies, and a big group of Asian also. I have noticed over the years that while we may do some detail things different, we all do the basics pretty much the same. Which brings me to my point. When we portray "forign" Soldiers, are our own "national" traits being displayed? For example, when I was training recruits, I had a recruit who had served in the Jamacian Army. It took a couple of weeks to get the British drill out of him. "Biggs, this is the NAVY, the AMERICAN NAVY. We're casual, we STROLL, NOT STOMP!"

Steve Hesson

I have to absolutely agree with ye there, whilst in southern France recently, I witnessed some French re-enactors doing drill I assume the French way...But, as usual with me, I could be wrong...What I am not wrong in though, guys who do WWII Brit or American in a modern British Army fashion...

This is true. We were assigned to an airbase around Pisa Italy and in the morning we would drive in laughing and harrassing each other and we would ALWAYS drive past these buses full of Italian troops and boy did they look miserable. Even thier air force fellows seem to not be having a good time. Granted, there are times deployments suck but you gotta have some sense of humor about all the stupid crap. Just my 2 cents worth.

Scott

I have to absolutely agree with ye there, whilst in southern France recently, I witnessed some French re-enactors doing drill I assume the French way...But, as usual with me, I could be wrong...What I am not wrong in though, guys who do WWII Brit or American in a modern British Army fashion...
And then argue with you about it. I do American Civil War Naval. Sailors did not adopt the military salute until just about the 20th century. During the ACW, US(CS) Sailors pinched their caps (The regs call for "Doffing", which earlier was done, but by the time of the ACW, was just a pinch). The Army and Marines of the era used the military salute (Brit style, palm out). Even when shown the regs and pictures of period Sailors saluting in the correct period style, some folks still want to butt heads. You do the research for them, feed it to them with a spoon and they still slobber it all down the front of themselves.

Steve Hesson

And then argue with you about it. I do American Civil War Naval. Sailors did not adopt the military salute until just about the 20th century. During the ACW, US(CS) Sailors pinched their caps (The regs call for "Doffing", which earlier was done, but by the time of the ACW, was just a pinch). The Army and Marines of the era used the military salute (Brit style, palm out). Even when shown the regs and pictures of period Sailors saluting in the correct period style, some folks still want to butt heads. You do the research for them, feed it to them with a spoon and they still slobber it all down the front of themselves.

Steve Hesson

I meant to say, French re-enactors doing drill the French way, dressed in WWII Airborne uniforms...As I say, I could be talking thru a hole in my head... :crying: