WWII original Nose Art Photos TONS OF THEM!!!!

OD MAN

:w00t: ***POOF!*** :w00t: A new collection is born. I'm happy for you ODMAN, those certainly are some excellent photos and quite a grouping at that. Looks like you'll have to slide over some of your tanker items to make room for your "new collection". :twothumbup:

Thanks for sharing and congratulations! :bravo:

:w00t: ***POOF!*** :w00t: A new collection is born. I'm happy for you ODMAN, those certainly are some excellent photos and quite a grouping at that. Looks like you'll have to slide over some of your tanker items to make room for your "new collection". :twothumbup:

Thanks for sharing and congratulations! :bravo:

Lol thanks guys, mrhell don't start talknig crazy. :unsure:

Heres "Dream Girl" for JGC...also would you mind posting a pic of your flight jacket that would be cool.
mjqn2u.jpg

OD MAN, thanks for the close up of Dream Girl, as requested here are some shots of the jacket. Jon

post-22-0-69529300-1401479127.jpg

post-22-0-68867400-1401479129.jpg

post-22-0-62740700-1401479132.jpg

post-22-0-57070300-1401479134.jpg

post-22-0-62181800-1401479136.jpg

Thanks a bunch for showing the closeups of the names. It is great to see all of the different names. The thing that strikes me is that so many planes had naked women on them. I did not know there were so many like this. I have seen other types but not these. I guess they did not want to show so many of these in pictures during that time period ;)

thanks again...awesome collection!....Kat

Johnny Signor

a great site to post the PB4y's for info unit ID's would be found here VPNAVY they have alll kinds of USN Patrol histories/emblems etc.

• 1 year later...
Stillwaterz

My US History teacher from high school was the Navigator on the Urgin Virgin (Dan-Daisey refers to him and his wife under the navigator window). He is still living, so I printed out the pic of his plane to take to him. He's 88, and still sharp as can be. Tells great stories of the bombing group.

Jim MacDonald

Great score. I think that they could be from North Field on Tinian, Iwo Jima or possibly from Okinawa. The PB4Y-2 "Punkie" was from VPB-109 & at one time they were based on all three of those islands, plus Palawan & Guam. I know Tinian had tons of PB4Ys & B-29s, as well as Iwo. But I'm not sure if there was any B-29s on Okinawa or Guam.

Mac

Jim MacDonald

Well, I guess I ought to read the other posts more closely, before I post. Didn't know about B-29s on Guam & Admin already IDed Punkie.

The "Y" & "R" call letters were used by VPB-121 on their A/C (not sure if anyone else used them) & they were based on Eniwetok, Tinian & Guam.

HTH narrow it down some & I also hope nobody else posted that. Might have to read this thread for a third time to check that.

Mac

Nice set and great of your neighbor to give them up. As to the copy issue...My dad took pictures of nose art in the ETO. He always had extra prints made and swapped them with other guys or gave them to pilots and crews. Even then there were collectors...

"East Maid"

oek4p.jpg

"Miss Lolla Tail"

2vdr9ed.jpg

"Call House Madam"

o86i37.jpg

I believe the top one is "Easy Maid" and the middle one is "Miss Lotta Tail."

• 2 weeks later...
4STARCHRIS

post-387-1305498064.jpg

The great part about this pic is that my dad took the pic before th enola gay was know for its role in WWII. Historic pic before history.

4starchris

• 1 year later...

I recently picked up some nose art photos, I thought they were PTO based B-24's, but after doing some research this morning it appears all of them I have are also of Navy Privateers, some from VP-109, some of the same aircraft posted here.

In trying to figure out which squadron/s they were from, I found one reference from a man in VP-109 who noted he had painted one of the Privateer nose arts pictured here while on Tinian.

With that said, and with the B-29's in the picture, I will go with Guam or Tinian as probably being where these were all taken.

When I have time I will post my new ones.

MW