UAS Wings

Bluehawk

Does anyone know if this AFSC is going to be having a different or new set of wings?

I've checked around, but no can find any photos of same, if so.

:dunno:

---------

U.S. Air Force Academy Cadets 2nd Class Jeffrey Nakayama and Rupert Domingo inspect a Viking 300 unmanned aircraft vehicle before launch from Camp Red Devil July 20 at Fort Carson, Colo. The Academy's new UAS training is designed to encourage cadets to serve as UAS leaders after graduation. The Viking 300 weighs between 200 and 300 pounds and has a top speed of 100 knots, with a cruising speed of 55 knots. (U.S. Air Force photo/Ann Patton)

by Ann Patton

U.S. Air Force Academy Public Affairs

8/11/2009 - U.S. AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. (AFNS) -- Members of the first class of the U.S. Air Force Academy's Unmanned Aircraft System and Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance Education Program received their UAS wings Aug. 11 during a ceremony here.

The class included four hand-picked cadre, all second degrees, with the remainder third degrees. More than 80 cadets originally volunteered for the program, the first of its kind in U.S. service academies.

"You are pioneers," Brig. Gen. Dana Born, the dean of the faculty, told the graduates. "You are going to set the sky as the limit and beyond."

Training included classroom instruction and flight training on two Viking 300 unmanned aircraft vehicles Camp Red Devil at Fort Carson, Colo.

Flight training will resume in September.

General Born shared her vision of the program's future when larger spaces will be needed for future UAS graduations.

"This room won't hold future classes," she emphasized. "It will grow in numbers and impact for the Air Force and the nation. This is truly a great day."

Lt. Col. Dean Bushey, the program director, anticipates the UAS program, under the academic courses Airmanship 200 and 201, will eventually include about 300 cadets.

The impetus to the initiative is the growing need for UAS in support of worldwide operations. Primary goals of the courses are to motivate cadets toward UAS training and introduce key skills cadets will use in their Air Force careers.

Colonel Bushey thanked both cadets and trainers for their long hours and encouraged cadets to recruit other good students to the program. He also emphasized the cadets now have a major ownership of it.

"It is no longer our program," he said of the Academy senior leadership. "It is now your program. Spread the good word."

Cadets 3rd Class Jonathan Broadbent and Anthony Alt both expressed their enthusiasm at being involved.

"The biggest surprise was how much we learned," Cadet Broadbent said. "We worked with some really professional people."

Cadet Broadbent said he also appreciated the unique leadership opportunities and that they set the tone for the other classes.

"It's good knowing the capability of the support of what's around me," Cadet Alt added.

He said is looking forward to the future of the program when new the curriculum expands, especially in research projects.

I've not heard of any UAS wings. The latest Air Force Almanac which came out in june didn't have special UAS wing shown. Maybe these guys are getting the Navigator/Observer wings ? :think:

Does anyone know if this AFSC is going to be having a different or new set of wings?

I've checked around, but no can find any photos of same, if so.

:dunno:

---------

U.S. Air Force Academy Cadets 2nd Class Jeffrey Nakayama and Rupert Domingo inspect a Viking 300 unmanned aircraft vehicle before launch from Camp Red Devil July 20 at Fort Carson, Colo. The Academy's new UAS training is designed to encourage cadets to serve as UAS leaders after graduation. The Viking 300 weighs between 200 and 300 pounds and has a top speed of 100 knots, with a cruising speed of 55 knots. (U.S. Air Force photo/Ann Patton)

by Ann Patton

U.S. Air Force Academy Public Affairs

8/11/2009 - U.S. AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. (AFNS) -- Members of the first class of the U.S. Air Force Academy's Unmanned Aircraft System and Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance Education Program received their UAS wings Aug. 11 during a ceremony here.

The class included four hand-picked cadre, all second degrees, with the remainder third degrees. More than 80 cadets originally volunteered for the program, the first of its kind in U.S. service academies.

"You are pioneers," Brig. Gen. Dana Born, the dean of the faculty, told the graduates. "You are going to set the sky as the limit and beyond."

Training included classroom instruction and flight training on two Viking 300 unmanned aircraft vehicles Camp Red Devil at Fort Carson, Colo.

Flight training will resume in September.

General Born shared her vision of the program's future when larger spaces will be needed for future UAS graduations.

"This room won't hold future classes," she emphasized. "It will grow in numbers and impact for the Air Force and the nation. This is truly a great day."

Lt. Col. Dean Bushey, the program director, anticipates the UAS program, under the academic courses Airmanship 200 and 201, will eventually include about 300 cadets.

The impetus to the initiative is the growing need for UAS in support of worldwide operations. Primary goals of the courses are to motivate cadets toward UAS training and introduce key skills cadets will use in their Air Force careers.

Colonel Bushey thanked both cadets and trainers for their long hours and encouraged cadets to recruit other good students to the program. He also emphasized the cadets now have a major ownership of it.

"It is no longer our program," he said of the Academy senior leadership. "It is now your program. Spread the good word."

Cadets 3rd Class Jonathan Broadbent and Anthony Alt both expressed their enthusiasm at being involved.

"The biggest surprise was how much we learned," Cadet Broadbent said. "We worked with some really professional people."

Cadet Broadbent said he also appreciated the unique leadership opportunities and that they set the tone for the other classes.

"It's good knowing the capability of the support of what's around me," Cadet Alt added.

He said is looking forward to the future of the program when new the curriculum expands, especially in research projects.

Bluehawk

I had not heard about the Airforce program, however the Army was toying with the idea of awarding Pilots Wings to those members that operate the unmanned drones that are used by the army. Personally I think this is a slap in the face to all those men and women that suffered through the 9 months of flight school and went on to fly missions in all combat zones throughout the world. A speciality badge would be appriopriate but not the pilots wings. Keep us posted should you find out more ref the Air Force program.

Terry

Thanks guys... usually I would catch something like that being added, but hadn't thusfar.

The article seemed to imply that they were awarded their "UAS wings"... and no other mention was made as to what wings they were given.

So, I assume they're getting Basic Pilot ratings... until further notice.

It wouldn't surprise me, as mentioned, that the AF might create a special Qual badge or something... there's such a HUGE emphasis being put on UAVs now... understandably.

memphismeister
Bluehawk

I had not heard about the Airforce program, however the Army was toying with the idea of awarding Pilots Wings to those members that operate the unmanned drones that are used by the army. Personally I think this is a slap in the face to all those men and women that suffered through the 9 months of flight school and went on to fly missions in all combat zones throughout the world. A speciality badge would be appriopriate but not the pilots wings. Keep us posted should you find out more ref the Air Force program.

Terry

For the Army

It can get confusing but they are not gettng aviator pilot wings. They are getting the crew wings.

There are three levels of Aviation Badges. The Army Aviation Basic Crewmember Badge is awarded upon successful completion of advanced individual training in a designated career field or military occupational specialty. The Army Aviation Senior Crewmember Badge is awarded upon successful completion of seven years in flight status or 10 years of non-flight experience in a principal duty assignment for designated specialties to Soldiers who have attained the rank of E-4 or higher. Soldiers who have attained the grade of E-6 or higher and completed 15 years in flight status or 17 years of non-flight experience in a principal duty assignment for designated specialties are awarded the Army Aviation Master Crewmember Badge.

Hmmmmmm... very interesting.

I suppose the AF could also be awarding our version of air crew wings too.

I wish Teamski would weigh in on this. He would have seen very recently...

Cobrahistorian

Yeah, Army R/C airplane drivers are getting aircrew wings despite never sitting in an aircraft. One of those bizarre decisions made at a pay grade a lot higher than mine. Probably looked great on an OER...

Yeah, Army R/C airplane drivers are getting aircrew wings despite never sitting in an aircraft. One of those bizarre decisions made at a pay grade a lot higher than mine. Probably looked great on an OER...

This is an interesting and enjoyable discussion. I think the remote piloted and/or robotic aircraft are more than likely the future of combat flying. With computers, remote sensors, high-tech hardware and satellite communications I expect that they will eventually make on-site maned aircraft obsolete. Especially when fighting these asymmetrical wars. Why send an Air Group or an aircraft carrier and its associated battle groups and support and supply ships (and all the manpower and money that is involved) all the way across the world to drop bombs on mud huts when you can send a few boxes of predator drones to a small front line FOB and have a couple of teen-agers who grew up with video games flying and fighting your machines from a Quonset hut on Edwards AFB? New technologies and new skills, who is to say that they don't deserve their own recognition? Maybe the winged joystick badge! Can you imagine the bars that could be included to the qualification badges? Instead of Sharpshooter or Pistol qualifications, you could earn "Play Station II Expert" "Nintendo Tech", "Joystick", "Arena Play", "DVD Downloader"....

Patrick

Cobrahistorian
This is an interesting and enjoyable discussion. I think the remote piloted and/or robotic aircraft are more than likely the future of combat flying. With computers, remote sensors, high-tech hardware and satellite communications I expect that they will eventually make on-site maned aircraft obsolete. Especially when fighting these asymmetrical wars. Why send an Air Group or an aircraft carrier and its associated battle groups and support and supply ships (and all the manpower and money that is involved) all the way across the world to drop bombs on mud huts when you can send a few boxes of predator drones to a small front line FOB and have a couple of teen-agers who grew up with video games flying and fighting your machines from a Quonset hut on Edwards AFB? New technologies and new skills, who is to say that they don't deserve their own recognition? Maybe the winged joystick badge! Can you imagine the bars that could be included to the qualification badges? Instead of Sharpshooter or Pistol qualifications, you could earn "Play Station II Expert" "Nintendo Tech", "Joystick", "Arena Play", "DVD Downloader"....

Patrick

Oh, I'm not saying that there isn't a place for the UAS on the modern battlefield! But give those guys their own recognition, rather than cheapening the hard-earned wings of an actual aircrew member that actually puts his life on the line in-theater. The worst thing a UAV pilot has to worry about is losing his signal (which happens fairly often!)

I like the winged joystick idea!

Jon

Chris Liontas

Are you guys thinking of the new Space officer wings?? They are just plain ugly. Someone had a tad bit on p-envy when designing those monstrosities. I understand you want to think you are a pilot, but heck--every afternoon I see guys in bag-suits, leather jackets, and the Tom Cruise sunglasses with these enormous wings on their chests. None of them are pilots, and in fact, I think the space wing is bigger than standard pilot wings. Just plain U-G-L-Y!!

post-2969-1250529951.jpg

Are you guys thinking of the new Space officer wings?? They are just plain ugly. Someone had a tad bit on p-envy when designing those monstrosities. I understand you want to think you are a pilot, but heck--every afternoon I see guys in bag-suits, leather jackets, and the Tom Cruise sunglasses with these enormous wings on their chests. None of them are pilots, and in fact, I think the space wing is bigger than standard pilot wings. Just plain U-G-L-Y!!

These things are related to space & missiles. They will eventually replace some of the other USAF space/missile related badges. They are about the same size as standard 3" pilot/crew wings. IMHO they are not only UGLY, but .... oh well, you get the picture. :crying:

I was relieved to learn that the UAV guys are wearing good ole ordinary traditional pilot wings... and of course (at least for the present) a lot of them were actual 3-D pilots at one time.

I suspect that with an all volunteer army, giving these guys their own badge is as much a recognition of their work as it is a moral- and team-building tool. I read some where that a lot of the new kids joining up were already well predisposed to this type of electronic/environmental interface from all the years of video game playing by the average teenager. I suspect this is the ultimate revenge of those nerdy fellows, with sallow complexion and bad acne who spent hours in the basement playing Halo and Flight simulator games. Now, they will be walking tall, with big shiny insignia on their chest, getting girls and showing up the jocks!

It does look like a hood ornament.

:lol:

That hood ornament is not being worn, yet, by the UAV pilots.

As for them having their own wings of some sort, given that the technology is so modern, I don't see anything wrong with the hood ornament transformer wing.

The AF has renamed/reconfigured what is left of SAC, so as to incorporate global and space security in one command... but that doesn't include UAVs.

Spathologist

Jeez, next thing you know the joystickers are going to want Air Medals and DFCs for sitting in those trailers.

Oh, wait...

Jeez, next thing you know the joystickers are going to want Air Medals and DFCs for sitting in those trailers.

Oh, wait...

Well, it may be difficult to claim being under hostile conditions, I suppose.

No chance of being shot down, but I suppose the hut could come under attack.

We lost a lot of airmen in Vietnam sitting in radio and radar shacks.

Cobrahistorian

Oh, wait...

Already happened bro.... friggin air medals for sittin in a trailer....

AIR MEDAL

This decoration, established by Executive Order 9158, May 11, 1942, as amended by Executive Order 9242, Sept. 11, 1942 is awarded to U.S. military and civilian personnel for single acts of heroism or meritorious achievements while participating in aerial flight and foreign military personnel in actual combat in support of operations. Required achievement is less than that required for the Distinguished Flying Cross, but must be accomplished with distinction above and beyond that expected of professional airmen. It is not awarded for peace time sustained operational activities and flights. Approval or disapproval authority is delegated to major command commanders or vice commanders for military and secretary of the Air Force for civilians and foreign military personnel. MAJCOMs will identify the missions and positions that qualify for this award. HQ USAF/XO must certify MAJCOM criteria.

This decoration is the same for all branches of the armed forces of the United States. The medal was designed by Walker K. Hancock, after an open competition, which also carried a cash award of $1,500 for the winning design.

The medal is a bronze compass rose of sixteen points with a fleur-de-lis design on the top point. On the obverse, in the center, is an eagle, swooping downward (attacking) and clutching a lightning bolt in each talon. The reverse has a raised disk on the compass rose, left blank for the recipient's name and rank.

The ribbon has a broad stripe of ultramarine blue in the center flanked on either side by a wide stripe of golden orange, and with a narrow stripe of ultramarine blue at the edge, the original colors of the Army Air Corps.

Authorized device: Oak leaf cluster

(Weighted Airman Promoted System Point Value: 3)

Here is your chance to be a badge designer. Break out your photoshop manual and create a new UAV Pilot Badge. Post it here and then Mods can poll on the best design. Sounds like fun

Mark

Here is your chance to be a badge designer. Break out your photoshop manual and create a new UAV Pilot Badge. Post it here and then Mods can poll on the best design. Sounds like fun

Mark

Yeah... it does sound like fun actually!

If they (the USAF) would simply stay with the traditional wings, and then add an appropriate central device of some kind, along the lines of the differences between air crew, pilot and navigator etc., then all would be well.

But, ever since they re-did our branch symbol to look like an ice crystal, chances are they won't pay any attention to tradition.