Military Order of the Devil Dogs vest patches medals

Bob Hudson

I found this one in a thrift store this morning. It was worn by a vet who died in January in Illinois. Just over two months later his widow - who made the vest - passed away. I have no idea how this vest made its way to a Southern California thrift store, but it is a wonderful legacy of two people who were active in the Military Order of the Devil Dogs and the Marine Corps League (a Google search gives some idea of their activity).

1.jpg

2.jpg

12.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

Wow! If you ask me, that vest is priceless!

Thank you for sharing that with the forum. It is a rare occasion when something belonging to the Military Order of the Devil Dogs is found.

Kevin

• 3 months later...
Stinger Gunner USMC

Same patch as the one on the front of your vest. This one is on a 3rd Marine Division uniform from an Illinois veteran who served in all three of the 3rd Div campaigns

post-1672-1258256442.jpg

Same patch as the one on the front of your vest. This one is on a 3rd Marine Division uniform from an Illinois veteran who served in all three of the 3rd Div campaigns

Great example...

Stinger Gunner USMC
An interesting use of the Devil Dog patch on the vet's uniform. Thanks for showing it. :thumbsup:

I assume it may have been added for wear in a hometown parade at somepoint

• 3 weeks later...
Man that is really a cool vest.

I've been trying to find a new owner for this dog, but no bites yet. :evilgrin:

• 6 years later...
  • 4 months later...

According to the MODD website, the above medals are from left to right:

Past Pound Keeper Medal

Pound Dog of the Year Medal

Pack Dog of the Year Medal

A "Pound" is defined as follows: "The Pound of the Military Order of the Devil Dogs, Inc. shall correspond in character and function in the Order as does the Detachment in the Organization of the Marine Corps League, Inc."

A "Pack" is defined as follows: "The Pack of the Military Order of the Devil Dogs, Inc., shall correspond in character and function in this Order as does the Department in the organization of the Marine Corps League, Inc."

-Military Order of the Devil Dogs Constitution and Bylaws, 2006

Great vest! Semper Fi......Bobgee - Life Member - McLemore Det. Marine Corps League, Houston, TX - R.I.P. Marine Wood.