Rag House Airborne Pickups in Years past

louie

Here's a new railsplitter Div uniform made at a tailor in Mannheim, Germany in Oct of 45. Bet in Oct of 44 they were making SS uniforms too. Same style of bullion.

post-470-1250898953.jpg

post-470-1250898962.jpg

Here's a new railsplitter Div uniform made at a tailor in Mannheim, Germany in Oct of 45. Bet in Oct of 44 they were making SS uniforms too. Same style of bullion.

post-470-1250898996.jpg

Old timey New Englanders will probably remember ave Weagle (I think Weagle?) who had an in at a "mystery" rag place where supposedly got all of the astounding stuff he sold at Concord when US stuff was dirt cheap. Then he got banned from the place or so he told me. knowqing him it was amazing how long it lasted. I'm pretty sure a lot of his stuff was repatched, but then in the 70's no one rally cared very much if a WW2 US item was repatched.

My best rag find was a REAL 2nd Div Rangers uniform found by a different (shady) dealer who found it in a NYC warehouse. He called me saying he had found some good sytuff, but "could I ID this weird iuniform from the 2nd ID.... " and I finished his sentence "with a skull on the sleeve..." Yep. told him what it was. Seems everyone else he called either did not know, or "claimed" they didn't know but would be happy to buy it from him at a cheap price...

A year later I was passing by his place and he threw it at me and said - you were the only guy to know what it was, and the only guy to be honest about it, so here- give me "X" bucks for it (I forget how much exactly but it was really cheap as he was angry at the guys who tried to take him). He also had a pile of about 50 large sized WW2 pinks, of which he sold me the dozen or so that were Made in the UK.

There was a place down on the Boston South Shore a close friend FINALLY turned me onto after years of keeping it a secret. By the time I was introduced to it most of the WW2 stuff was long gone, but in periodic trips I did actually find not one but TWO Mountain jackets when they opened up some tan lots. And a cotton Navy flight jacket -no insignia but marked to a WW2 observation squadron under the collar.

The days of finding such amazing things in rag lots are pretty well over in my opinion. After people have offered bribes to be first to look at the military stuff these fellows catch on. Like any good dealer of anything, they can smell money if more than one or two people show an interest. All it takes is one guy showing up, waving a pile of cash around saying he is looking to buy military uniforms, and suddenly everything is gold.

I did find out one oddity that some sa;lvation Army type shops actually have (or had at least) a pile for oddball donations which they felt someone might only wasn't as a halloween costime. One shop never had any military stuff at all, but a month before Halloween - out came a rack of it, (and other oddities). Day after Halloween anything left over vanished as if by magic.

I did find out one oddity that some sa;lvation Army type shops actually have (or had at least) a pile for oddball donations which they felt someone might only wasn't as a halloween costime. One shop never had any military stuff at all, but a month before Halloween - out came a rack of it, (and other oddities). Day after Halloween anything left over vanished as if by magic.

It does seem like these "retail" places hoard the stuff for the holiday, most of my best finds happen around this time of year!

It is getting hot again here in S.Calif. so I have been lazy to keep doing inventory of duffle bags, but drug out a few more uniforms. Here is another Marine Para I picked up years back on a greens.

post-470-1251161585.jpg

It is getting hot again here in S.Calif. so I have been lazy to keep doing inventory of duffle bags, but drug out a few more uniforms. Here is another Marine Para I picked up years back on a greens.

post-470-1251161626.jpg

Very nice as usual Louie! It's good to see someone else with an interest in the transitional AF uniforms!

Rob

I agree! I've allways liked USAF transition items. I don't have any uniforms of the period, but I'm allways looking! Thanks for showing these pieces. :thumbsup:

These are the type of items that still come out of the rags. All from last week. Not great like the other stuff, but still something.

post-470-1251330320.jpg

post-470-1251330352.jpg

These are the type of items that still come out of the rags. All from last week. Not great like the other stuff, but still something.

post-470-1251330388.jpg

post-470-1251330411.jpg

Only one Ike from WW2, but w/ the set up an occupation piece. The Ike is an officer's issued to an EM. The m51 was near mint and issued to a CAP guy.

post-470-1251330463.jpg

post-470-1251330488.jpg

snake36bravo
Thanks for the info Dave. Navy Vietnam unit on jungle jacket..boy gotta get the iron out.

Oh the humanity!!! I love salty pieces like this and yes, especially because its Seawolves mana. Here is one of these tops in wear from a picture I picked up from Scott at Bay State Militaria.

post-2582-1251441469.jpg

Hey ! This is the shirt I missed years ago at the GWS ! :w00t:

He must of had two shirts because I picked this shirt up at Aslanians rag mill run by good ole John Aslanian. (RIP) I remember he had this one in his office because the shirt was in such good shape he charged me more for it. I think the guy charged me something ridiculous like $10.00 since he had taken a liking to it!!!

Here is another ParaMarine pulled from the rags. This came out of a huge 1200 lb. bail I sorted maybe 10 years ago. Most was crap, but this came out and made it worth it. Rag mill now only makes wiping rags. They used to get crap cotton, but great wool rag.

post-470-1251596239.jpg

post-470-1251596249.jpg