"Famous" Helmets

DwightPruitt

carbinephalen

This is a great thread! Now that there's more members on the forum maybe some new "Famous" Helmets can get posted! Sorry guys, unfortunately none in my collection :crying:

Ridgeway wasn't a 4-star general until after the war. This helmet probably dates between 1951 and 1955, when he replaced Ike as SACEUR until he retired.

Adam

They didn't make D bails during the Korean War. This is the exact same D bail that Ridgeway wore in WWII.

carbinephalen

General Eisenhower's 4-Star M1.

65853.jpg

Here's the story from the auction house.

GEN. DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER'S FOUR-STAR GENERAL'S HELMET

Perhaps one of the most significant World War II relics to ever come to the auction block is Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower's World War II four-star general's helmet, well-used, with outstanding provenance. This M-1 steel helmet bears the original dark green "pebbled" finish, with typical oxidation and a few chips, entirely consistent with use. At the front of the helmet appear four white stars, each 3/4" tall. The chin straps are present, though the line is not (undoubtedly removed for use in Eisenhower's five-star replacement helmet). Near the end of the Allied campaign in North Africa, Eisenhower received his fourth star (and, presumably, this helmet), and on Dec. 20, 1944, he was promoted to General of the Army, thus gaining his fifth star. At that time, this helmet became obsolete, and then or soon after was given by Eisenhower to his chief aide, Col. Ernest "Tex" Lee who brought it home with him at war's end. From the estate of the recipient, Col. Ernest "Tex" Lee, who served throughout the war as Eisenhower's Executive Officer and Aide de Camp. Lee joined Ike in June, 1941 and assisted in the planning of the invasions at Normandy, Sicily and the ultimate defeat of Germany. Accompanied by a letter from Lee's son indicating that Col. Lee had stated to his family that he had obtained this helmet directly from Eisenhower during the European war and that it has remained in the family since that time. Undoubtedly Ike wore this helmet at the front and on inspections during the campaigns in North Africa, Sicily, Normandy, and on the drive across France and the Low Countries. A museum-quality piece of history!

That's right...this baby was put up for sale not too long ago. And my wife raised her eyebrow when I forked out for just a fixed bail! Haha! The auction estimate was $20,000 - $30,000

Last fall I ventured to the Patton Museum at Ft. Knox and was able to see General Patton's helmets. One was his parade, liner only helmet and the other was his field helmet (pot and liner). As the both helmets are encased in a glass(?) display case it was difficult to look under them to see what kind of liners they were. The best I could make out on the field helmet was that the pot is a fixed bail and the liner is the early rayon type with the snap in head band. It was somewhat dark but I don't believe the liner was a Hawley type, so maybe an early Westinghouse or Inland?

CG

• 6 years later...